PDA

View Full Version : XP or 7 - MacBook Air Rev. A

nicorojas
Jul 28, 2009, 03:52 PM
Guys, I have the hated MacBook Air Rev. A, 1.6 80 Gb HDD. I currently have Windows XP Pro in Bootcamp (I needed mostly because I run some audio programs -e.g. SoundForge- that are windows-only).

I want to try Win 7. Do you think the performance is going to be much worse?

How about compatibility? I tried Vista once, but I found myself formatting the drive after a couple of days. Such an annoying operating system!

tek
Jul 28, 2009, 04:27 PM
7 is a big improvement over XP.

Performance wise, it's probably a little slower, but it feel faster because of the better UI (think OS 9 vs OS X).

All the boot camp drivers for vista work in it just fine.

spriter
Jul 29, 2009, 02:55 AM
I have the same spec Rev A. Originally I went with 7 but found it always caused the fans to blow (not good in the library, etc). There was nothing I couldn't do in XP so I went back and have kept it since. Speedier, cooler and quieter works for me.

kntgsp
Jul 29, 2009, 07:56 AM
If you have an SSD, 7. 7 will have built in TRIM support when it releases as well, which helps with the newer SSDs from Intel if you ever swap out for one of the X-18Ms.

HDD, XP. XP is not friendly towards SSDs. I know it from personal experience.

That being said, 7 runs nearly as fast or faster than XP, depending on your hardware. Although if I remember correctly, someone on XtremeSystems posted a thread showing that they got 7 to run on a Pentium II. Albeit verrrrrry slowly, but it ran.

Says a lot in terms of its scalability.

7 is a massive improvement over Vista. And that's an understatement. I was a big Windows user and I hated Vista not because of the whole smear campaign, but because it was a resource hog, and had no real improvements over XP. 7 has the speed of XP with the upgraded UI of Vista (only better).

h1d
Jul 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
So, that means, MS managed to improve the UI in 8 years?

Veinticinco
Jul 29, 2009, 06:24 PM
Neither, it'll make your MBA feel 'dirty'.