Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
so, this seems very very proprietary. Anybody think we'll see a solution for the rest of us anytime soon?

If so, how would it work?

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Even if it is proprietary, it suggests that:

a) BMW sees the iPod and the AAC format as trendsetting and the way to go for getting (non-CD) digital music into cars; and

b) Apple is at least talking with car companies to extend the reach of the iPod. And frankly, BMW is a great company to start this with -- there is probably a good synergy between the BMW target consumer profile (and brand image) and that of the iPod.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
jesuscandle said:
so, this seems very very proprietary. Anybody think we'll see a solution for the rest of us anytime soon?

If so, how would it work?

Wasn’t there something with the new VW Bugs a couple of years ago?

Anybody out there have one? If so, how did it work?

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
nsb3000 said:

You could get a free iPod if you bought a beetle, but there was no interface.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
While the iPod is a great product, just building interfaces so you can use the iPod any ware (ie, in your BMW with this product, in your living room with airtunes...) is not necessary the best solution. Apple really should build some other audio players, such as a living room system and a special car audio system that build off of the great interface of the iPod while building new features that would be possible with these new form factors. Imagine if your car synched wireless with your computer every time you pulled into your driveway, for example...the possibilities are endless.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
montecristo said:
Even if it is proprietary, it suggests that:

a) BMW sees the iPod and the AAC format as trendsetting and the way to go for getting (non-CD) digital music into cars; and

b) Apple is at least talking with car companies to extend the reach of the iPod. And frankly, BMW is a great company to start this with -- there is probably a good synergy between the BMW target consumer profile (and brand image) and that of the iPod.

Agreed on both points. That said, I think there are plenty of honda civic drivers and VW Passat drivers and, heck, even KIA drivers out there who have ipods.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I wonder if they [apple] chose bmw because they claim to be the bmw of the computer industry (< 5% market share). They better also work out deal with other car manufacturers ... steve did say we are working with "several" folks on that.

alpine said they are working on a after market car stereo to do the samething. I usually upgrade my car stereo anyways.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
nsb3000 said:

The VW bug solution was just the lame cassette interface. So the VW owner had to have a cable hanging out of their cigarette lighter and their cassette player just to use the iPod.

I'm supirsed Apple has not worked with makers of in-dash car cd players. All the iPods that support the Apple dock could be slid into the dash horizontally just like cd and then the screen and interface on the dash would take over. That would not be too difficult, would it?

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
AndrewMT said:
The VW bug solution was just the lame cassette interface. So the VW owner had to have a cable hanging out of their cigarette lighter and their cassette player just to use the iPod.

I'm supirsed Apple has not worked with makers of in-dash car cd players. All the iPods that support the Apple dock could be slid into the dash horizontally just like cd and then the screen and interface on the dash would take over. That would not be too difficult, would it?

You wouldn't think it would be too tough, I mean pull out the CD drive and you have a ton of open space to shove an ipod in there... I think something with a flip down face would be pretty cool, so you can hide the iPod behind it. As long as the deck itself looks good.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Very cool - two quality companies joining forces! Although this may indeed only tailor to a niche market (i.e. only people who buy BMWs) it's still good to see regardless - it could be the start of something big if other car compnies take notice and want to jump on board as well.

SirCletus

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
Under your bed...
jesuscandle said:

Ironic use of those words, "for the rest of us." Remember how Apple used to be "the computer for the rest of us?" I guess nowadays "the rest of us" means "those of us left over after you filter out all the po' folks." Not that the slogan ever had anything to do with financial resources. I guess I'm just growing a little disappointed by Apple's growing "upscale" image. But I digress.

If Apple really wanted to get iPods into more cars, they'd stop pandering to the 2-3% (just guessing, based on approximately 6% of US automotive market share devoted to ALL European imports, according to Edmunds) of drivers who own BMWs and develop a standard car-stereo sized interface akin to, say a cassette deck. Slide your iPod in, use faceplate controls as you would a CD player. Just a thought.

Edit: Oops, davecuse beat me to the punch.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
nsb3000 said:
Apple really should build some other audio players, such as a living room system and a special car audio system that build off of the great interface of the iPod while building new features that would be possible with these new form factors. Imagine if your car synched wireless with your computer every time you pulled into your driveway, for example...the possibilities are endless.
That's a cool idea, but it would entail purchasing both a device for the car and a device for personal use. Using the iPod as the basis of the car system means you only have to buy (and sync) one device.

sweetandsour

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
London, UK
ipod/bmw

Perhaps this is a synergistic tie-in?
control your ipod via your bmw, plumb the bmw's radiator fan and water cooling pipes into your ipod to liquid cool the updated ipods G5 processor?

hughdogg

macrumors member
Macrumors said:
Appleinsider provides some more information that Apple and BMW may be partnering to allow new BMW owners to interface with their iPods.

The integration is said to allow the iPod to connect to the BMW, allowing drivers to control the iPod, view playlists and charge the iPod.

A partnership between BMW and Apple was first reported in March 2004.

Interesting since BWM's iDrive is widely panned as the worst human/auto interface ever, which is no surprise as it is a MS Windows CE application. iDrive Press

Not content to create lousy interfaces for the home, Microsoft now takes it on the road...let's see:

Trapping people in cars

One pan

Another pan, and a really interesting article about Jef Raskin (he of Mac interface creation) and iDrive

Hopefully, this will lead BMW to work with Apple on the next version of the iDrive interface.
Cheers,
hughdogg

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
must be nice

carletonmusic said:
I'd easily buy a BMW if it came with a new iPod interface or iTunes Satellite edition!! :)

Damn I need a new job.
It must be nice to be able to afford a BMW. I'm still saving my pennies for my G5 3.0GHz. Thanks to someone, I have more time :eek: still wish they were here now though. :D

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Other than charging, why have a proprietary interface to begin with? Why haven't car makers ever bothered to add a simple input jack that you could plug anything into?

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
hughdogg said:
Interesting since BWM's iDrive is widely panned as the worst human/auto interface ever, which is no surprise as it is a MS Windows CE application.

Hopefully, this will lead BMW to work with Apple on the next version of the iDrive interface.
Cheers,
hughdogg

The iDrive system is horrible to use. When i bought my 3 series i was looking into getting the navigation and everything, but it was more aggravating than helpful.

Hopefully this will happen. I have been longing to connect my ipod to my car, but i dont like any of the options except for the icelink and it isn't that great because of the mounting and cable routing that has to be done.

This could be a nice excuse to trade my car in.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Spades said:
Other than charging, why have a proprietary interface to begin with? Why haven't car makers ever bothered to add a simple input jack that you could plug anything into?

BMW has this already--you can buy an adapter that basically adds a line-in jack using a standard miniplug. So it's not like you can't use your ipod fairly easily.

What would make it better is three things.

1) A cable connector that plugs into the FW port on the ipod (like the dock connector) and has line out and power in for charging.
2) integration with the buttons on the steering wheel to control track forward and back
3) integration with the radio display to scroll the name of the song.

1 is really easy, and can already be done by splicing cables, but a neater solution would be better. Surely 2 and 3 aren't too complex, and require some sort of software interface.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
BMW and iPod

Le Big Mac said:
BMW has this already--you can buy an adapter that basically adds a line-in jack using a standard miniplug. So it's not like you can't use your ipod fairly easily.

What would make it better is three things.

1) A cable connector that plugs into the FW port on the ipod (like the dock connector) and has line out and power in for charging.
2) integration with the buttons on the steering wheel to control track forward and back
3) integration with the radio display to scroll the name of the song.

1 is really easy, and can already be done by splicing cables, but a neater solution would be better. Surely 2 and 3 aren't too complex, and require some sort of software interface.

BMW will hopefully build an iPod dock or a cable port
for direct interfacing with the iPod...

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
most of the mac people i know drive vw's and the others wouldn't be caught dead in a bmw. at least my designer friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.