PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - iWeb design with external hosting?

bonswizzle
Jul 28, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi guys, don't lynch me if this is really obvious, but I have a bit of a newbie style question.

I've never designed a website before, but having got my mac a few months ago the only app I haven't really played with properly is iWeb.

I'm looking at building a website for my upcoming Masters and PhD degrees, to maintain over the years and host things like links to papers and information about my research.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a site in iWeb, then pay a small fee (or indeed free!) for it to be put online? I know MobileMe is an option, but with only my MacBook (no iPhone, PC etc) I don't think it's worth the money for simply website hosting alone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nomar383
Jul 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well you can get mobileme for about 50 bucks on amazon and thats hella cheaper than the $20 a month I pay for my hosting service. If I only had one site that's what I's do (and did do for a while).

bonswizzle
Jul 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
Well you can get mobileme for about 50 bucks on amazon and thats hella cheaper than the $20 a month I pay for my hosting service. If I only had one site that's what I's do (and did do for a while).

Thanks for that, so with MobileMe presumably I'm just paying for an activation code right? It does seem a good deal at that price.

nomar383
Jul 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't bought that particular version on amazon because I'm not quite due for renewal, but this thread says it shouldn't be an issue:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=748438

$50 is pretty cheap for all the services you get.