PDA

View Full Version : How Does an 80,000 Person Organization Use iPhones?

MacBytes
Jul 28, 2009, 09:37 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: How Does an 80,000 Person Organization Use iPhones? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090728223731)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

damnyooneek
Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
One for thing. Fart apps.

JoshBoy
Jul 28, 2009, 11:30 PM
iHeadache

BongoBanger
Jul 29, 2009, 04:09 AM
The simple answer? It doesn't.

"iPhone usage within Oracle has been user-driven from the very beginning."

Which means you can use your own. I suspect for corporate purchases they use Blackberry or WinMo devices.

RichTF
Jul 29, 2009, 08:34 AM
The simple answer? It doesn't.

"iPhone usage within Oracle has been user-driven from the very beginning."

Which means you can use your own. I suspect for corporate purchases they use Blackberry or WinMo devices.
Well the headline doesn't claim that Oracle buys iPhones for its employees, simply that it uses them. Which it clearly does, if you keep reading...
Internal adoption of iPhone continued to grow when Oracle added iPhone as a supported mobile platform.
...and...
Oracle created an internal iPhone app to access directory information, place phone calls, send emails, and even copy directory information to the local iPhone contacts app.

That's pretty impressive corporate support from such a large established company! Looks like iPhone really is making inroads...

dejo
Jul 29, 2009, 09:17 AM
Probably Larry and Steve's friendship plays a role in all this...

BongoBanger
Jul 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
Well the headline doesn't claim that Oracle buys iPhones for its employees, simply that it uses them. Which it clearly does, if you keep reading...

...and...

That's pretty impressive corporate support from such a large established company! Looks like iPhone really is making inroads...

Really?

Ok, give me numbers of Oracle's iPhone installation base against Blackberry and WinMo devices.

xIGmanIx
Jul 29, 2009, 09:28 AM
Really?

Ok, give me numbers of Oracle's iPhone installation base against Blackberry and WinMo devices.

Right, because we all have readily available internal metrics to companies assets. Even if they are making inroads, RIM/BB is still a better choice for true business uses, with the iPhone being a good multimedia phone

BongoBanger
Jul 29, 2009, 09:41 AM
Right, because we all have readily available internal metrics to companies assets. Even if they are making inroads, RIM/BB is still a better choice for true business uses, with the iPhone being a good multimedia phone

So how can we say that Apple are making significant inroads? That was the point.

I too think the iPhone is an awesome consumer device whilst being a second rate enterprise option.

xIGmanIx
Jul 29, 2009, 09:44 AM
So how can we say that Apple are making significant inroads? That was the point.

I too think the iPhone is an awesome consumer device whilst being a second rate enterprise option.

we agree then :eek: all i was saying is that there is no way he would have those metrics for you. The thing i like about the iPhone is that it has the frame work for limitless upgrades due to a pretty solid phone OS at this point, flaws? yes, but that can eventually be overcome.

dejo
Jul 29, 2009, 09:47 AM
Because Oracle’s Product Strategy Manager, Hody Crouch, said "Internal adoption of iPhone continued to grow...". You did read the article, right?

xIGmanIx
Jul 29, 2009, 09:50 AM
Because Oracle’s Product Strategy Manager, Hody Crouch, said "Internal adoption of iPhone continued to grow...". You did read the article, right?

we did, but that is not something quantifiable. That could be less than a 1% increase, but satisfies that statement. Until we have quantifiable metrics, this is stating the obvious.

BongoBanger
Jul 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
we did, but that is not something quantifiable. That could be less than a 1% increase, but satisfies that statement. Until we have quantifiable metrics, this is stating the obvious.

Exactly.

dejo
Jul 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
Until we have quantifiable metrics, this is stating the obvious.
Why do we need quantities? It was BongoBanger that needed them to be "significant"...

BongoBanger
Jul 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
Why do we need quantities? It was BongoBanger that needed them to be "significant"...

Because unless we know the numbers it might just be one or two percent of their workforce using their own personal iPhones which, bluntly, means absolutely nothing.

Cheerleading articles like this are a waste of time. If the iPhone is kicking butt in the corporate world let's hear the numbers - and I don't mean Schiller's soundbites, I mean adoption rates vs Blackberry and WinMo in major organisations.

dejo
Jul 29, 2009, 10:09 AM
If the iPhone is kicking butt in the corporate world let's hear the numbers...
I think you are projecting your own expectations onto this. Why does it need to kick-butt? Can't it coexist nicely with the BB/WM establishment? As Hody stated:
iPhone isn’t the perfect device for all situations.