Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modular

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
My job requires that I have Adobe cs4, which runs fine on my g5. I've got FCS 2 also running just fine.

My question is, how long do you think I can hold out using the g5? Will re-sell value drop to zero (if it already hasnt?). I'm trying to think if I should sell it now while I can still get a few hundred, or just wait it out till it kicks the bucket.

thoughts?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I would say just keep it for another year or two then go out and buy yourself a nice quad core macbook pro or something! lol if it still works fine for what your doing then I say keep it, it probably wouldn't be worth selling it anyway.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It will depend upon if you can deal with the speed of the G5 computer that you have. The next OS which will be released in September will not have PPC support, so you will be on an outdated OS. I personally would sell the G5 before Snow Leopard comes out and get an Intel Mac. I have to believe that the resale value of a Mac that can't run the latest OS will drop significantly and the support by apps will slowly become Intel only.

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land
It will depend upon if you can deal with the speed of the G5 computer that you have. The next OS which will be released in September will not have PPC support, so you will be on an outdated OS. I personally would sell the G5 before Snow Leopard comes out and get an Intel Mac. I have to believe that the resale value of a Mac that can't run the latest OS will drop significantly and the support by apps will slowly become Intel only.

I agree that the inability to run the latest OS will drop significantly. The thing is apps, especially from Apple, aren't slowly becoming Intel only they are rapidly going that direction. They seem to be wanting to drop all PPC support as quickly as possible moving small things first and now with Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio both being Intel only major apps are already there. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see iWork '10 and iLife '10 (maybe 11 since the year version numbers are funny sometimes) being Snow Leopard only and thus Intel only. Personally I hope this pushes the G4 prices down even more as I still have an OS 9 application I'd like to run every once in a while.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I believe that Power Mac G5 prices have anticipated the SL effect. They are not likely to change much. The knock on effect really is on the 2006 Mac Pro. It remains stellar in price.

modular

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
i decided to keep goin on my g5. It's running on 2gb ram now, so I think i'll bump that up to 4gb and wait to see what's coming out in '10. I've had it for just about 5 years now, and I'll try to push it another year! By next year I probably won't really care what I get for it, by then it will have served 6 years so I'm certainly getting my money's worth out of it.

thanks for all the thoughts-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.