PDA

View Full Version : The iPod Is Dead. Long Live the iPod

Prof.
Jul 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
I was recently cleaning out a closet and came across an interesting artifact: my first iPod.

It was nearly eight years ago that I was among the very first people in New York City to carry around the first-generation iPod. About the size of a pack of cigarettes, it was advertised with the tagline "A thousand songs in your pocket." I can even remember the song used in the first TV spot: Take California by The Propellerheads.

Since then, I've upgraded to a 2007 model boasting a 160-gigabyte hard drive that makes holding a mere thousand songs seem quaint. Before long, I will no doubt be waxing nostalgic about this music player as well—one that, at not even half full, holds 5,231 songs, 141 videos, and 228 podcasts.

First Quarterly Drop in iPod Sales

The iPod as many of us have known it is on the wane and giving way to a more feature-rich family of devices that in time will bear little resemblance to the trailblazing digital music players that helped Apple capture 70% of the North American market. Evidence of the iPod's decline came July 21, when Apple disclosed its first quarterly decline in iPods sold. In the three months ended in June, Apple (AAPL) sold 10.2 million iPods, versus 11 million a year earlier.

Story Link (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/107415/the-ipod-is-dead-long-live-the-ipod.html)

Scarlet Fever
Jul 28, 2009, 11:45 PM
I doubt this means the iPod is dying. Maybe they've just hit saturation point; almost everyone has an iPod, and they have no need to get a newer, fancier one.

Just wait till September. Sales will skyrocket again. Even if it's just the current ones in slightly muted colours.

LizKat
Jul 29, 2009, 12:54 AM
I don't know... the latest nano is the first one I didn't buy, even though I probably looked at the purple one in the online store 20 times. I haven't bought the latest shuffle, either. I do keep looking at it, but my heart's not in it. Can't get past well should I get the black or the silver, and it isn't even about that. It's about how I have other shuffles, and this newest one looks very cool indeed but.. but... so there's a hesitation point that's new for me in the iPod realm.

Maybe it's reaction to the economic times, but then I remember I had to take a long walk out to the back meadow to keep from ordering a 13" MacBook Pro not very long ago. So I'm back to "I don't know" if the excitement over a new iPod is dead for me.

I was just recharging some 2nd gen nanos yesterday, and thinking I may still like that form factor almost the best for audio. There's something very handy about a bunch of small-capacity iPods with screens good enough to see the album art and your playlists. I slam my latest purchases onto one and cart it around as an additional item in my purse or pocket for awhile until I get around to making picks and reloading just those onto a larger iPod.

Off topic: wow, I just saw the biggest ol' spider I have seen in a long time. I can move a lot faster than I might have thought ten seconds before I saw it. Man. I don't mind spiders, but I favor the daddy long legs type. Friendly, curious, harmless. This thing looked like a prop from some horror flick, advancing along the arm of the couch. I wonder where it went when I briefly departed couch and room!

Anyway, possibly I have reached some kind of saturation point on iPods. Or maybe I'm just taking a break. Apple probably has a clue and is already plotting to make a buck on it. I say more power to them, they have sure been hitting the long ball from my point of view for a long time now.

instaxgirl
Jul 29, 2009, 02:56 AM
Anyway, possibly I have reached some kind of saturation point on iPods.

Took you longer than me. I bought a second newer iPod when I already had a working one and I've always vaguely regretted it as a waste of money. (And now the damn thing's broken after only 3 years - bugger that for a life span, the parts are in the post)

Jul 29, 2009, 03:16 AM
i hope they don't get rid of the ipod classic. i recently sold my ipod touch just so i could get the classic.

the touch is really wonderful with all the features it offers. it just wasn't for me.
i missed the click wheel from my dead 4th generation. i'd often use it in bed and it was annoying when i'd be going through songs and the motion sensor would kick in.

uaecasher
Jul 29, 2009, 03:22 AM
but it's sales is already sky rock 10.1m in 3 months? I mean how many people will buy an iPod i got 3 :D waiting for new iPod touch and nano

Consultant
Jul 29, 2009, 09:48 AM
iPhone also has an iPod in it.

I replaced a really old 40gb iPod with a 32gb iPhone / iPod.

Might have to get a nano.

anthony8400
Jul 29, 2009, 09:56 AM
I still remember the day I ever touched an iPod Mini vividly.

It was when an American friend has come over to visit me in Belgium that he had his iPod Mini with him.
I was really astonished by the look and feel of it.
It was so handy, so easy to handle it seemed to me it was made for the youngest among us.

I immediately fell in love with it, I fell asleep with it and I woke up with it :D

From that moment on I decided to buy one myself.
My first iPod was the first gen white Nano, lovely design and lovely colour screen.
I guess I owned that one for about 2-3 years before it completely went dead ...

The next one was the iPhone 1G, magnificent appliance but I didn't really like the sound crispness.

Afterwards I've purchased the sixth gen, the rebranded iPod Classic, but it soon flew out of my casa.
I didn't like it, the interface had become soooo slow with the CoverFlow.

So I decided to buy the 2nd gen iPod Touch 16 gig, which I still own by the way, and that's the most magnificent player ever.
It has so many more to offer than just basic music playback.

And the story will keep on continuing ...:apple:

Dwalls90
Jul 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
A few things to consider:

- Economy is still not as healthy as it was a year ago, or two years ago.
- The iPhone is an iPod. It has replaced mine, as I'm sure it has for others. Notice how iPhone sales are at a record high.
- The iPods are at the end of their life cycle, typical for old models of anything.

barkmonster
Jul 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
I was put off at first by the 5Gb memory and waited till they were larger, then, like a moron, went for an end of life first generation iPod Nano with only 2Gb :D

These days I'm far too conflicted about iPod? or iPhone? :confused:

jdl8422
Jul 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
To me it seems like people are going towards to iphone for an all in one solution. When the ipod came out it was a race to get the highest capacity and people bought a new ipod every time the capacity increased. Now it seems like people care more about the all in one and touch screen and are willing to sacrifice storage space. I personally would rather spend $300 upgrading my 16GB iphone to the new 32GB iphone over getting the 120GB ipod classic even though I want more than 32gb of space.

sravana
Aug 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
I was put off at first by the 5Gb memory and waited till they were larger, then, like a moron, went for an end of life first generation iPod Nano with only 2Gb :D

These days I'm far too conflicted about iPod? or iPhone? :confused:I had the same conflict - here's my thinking process:
1) do I want the app store? yes = iPhone or iTouch
2) can I afford the ATT charges? NO. Scratch the iPhone
3) can I live with my current phone? Yes. No biggie.
4) can I afford an iTouch? Yes - when I bought a refurbished one!

I'm very happy with my choice - and it's great to know that I'm not throwing more $$ at ATT (already my carrier). I'll probably upgrade to the next gen iTouch when it's available in the refurbished store, because I want the (supposed) camera, and MORE GB! I've just about maxed out my 8GB with podcasts. (free! I :heart: free!)

Gitano1
Aug 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
My first pod was a 4th Gen 20GB. I dropped it and ruined the screen. I went out and bought a 30GB Classic. Then I found a screen replacement on EBay and did the first of dozens of repairs I have done since on the 20. About a year later my Labrador ran her claws over the pocket of my jacket that held my 30GB. I had gotten it from Costco, so I took it back. They gave me a "gift card" for the full price of the 30. I used it to buy an 80 which I have had for more than a year. I love it, couldn't live without it. I have friends who have gone to the iPhone and use it instead of the pod, but I think that puts too many eggs in one basket. There are so many accessories that increase the ways in which I can use my pod, in the car (iTrip) attached to my stereo system, etc, I can not imagine replacing it. My entire CD collection plus a hundred or more I have downloaded are on the pod along with dozens of books on tape and videos. Replacing batteries is easy and with a solid case the screen is no longer vulnerable.
For those with older models, parts are available if you check out Ebay. I have gotten click wheels for early pods from China where they were originally manufactured for as little as $8. Installing is easy. Check out ifixit.com for comprehensive instructions, but get your parts on Ebay.

appledyl
Aug 2, 2009, 08:30 PM
HAHAHA!! Who are you kidding? The iPod will never go out if everything continues like this. Apple has the MP3 market in the bag! I guarantee that the iPod will not die within the next decade. That's a given. A decrease by a million sales? Nothing important. Many people have already bought iPods and don't need another! Man, the economy also has bits to do with it.

leomac08
Aug 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
i second that motion!!!!!!!!, apple will dominate the next decade (2010-2019)

haha:)

QCassidy352
Aug 4, 2009, 11:30 AM
Nobody is saying the ipod is dying, just that it will (is) transform(ing) in to something far beyond the original ipod and far beyond what's possible in that form factor. The iphone is the perfect convergence device, but even for people who don't want one (hate AT&T, cost is too high, whatever), the ipod touch is the way of the future.

Now yes, I know, there are a hundred reasons people still prefer the other ipods - smaller, physical buttons, cheaper, higher capacity, etc. But my point is not that the ipod touch is perfect but rather it (along with the iphone) is apple's first foray in to music players that are much more than music players, and that's the direction apple, and the industry, is heading.

GimmeSlack12
Aug 4, 2009, 11:33 AM
This is way premature to say the "Classic" iPod is dead. We are in a recession you know.