Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I can't descide if I want to fork
over 10 bucks for this app. what's the overal opinion?

edit: I BOUGHT IT... YUPPP

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I would have said YES until a few weeks ago.

The reality is that since Beejive was updated to 3.0 (at the same time the iphone OS 3.0 was released) .. the app has become MUCH more unstable. Well, no the app itself, but at the server side.

I have to CONSTANTLY connect and disconnect Facebook to "refresh" the conection - otherwise it's offline at the facebook servers.

Google talk is kept connected even if you manually set it to offline - so people write to you and you never receive any IMs (unless you check your chat history at gmail.com)

Support has also gone downhill.. they used to be very polite and helpful. Now all they say is

a) we're workign on it
b) that is strange we've never heard about that bug

and that's all.. they sent a template email and just tell you to wait for the next update (previously I had problems and they personally dealt with them, gave me an account at the developing server so I could check if the problem stopped or not etc etc).

For me, using Beejive right now feels exactly like it felt when I bought the Mobilechat piece of **** a year or so ago

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I have to CONSTANTLY connect and disconnect Facebook to "refresh" the conection - otherwise it's offline at the facebook servers.

Are you using the Facebook app or Facebook anywhere else when that happens? Facebook itself has gotten real touchy about only allowing single logins, I notice I get disconnected in FB chat in Beejive when I open the Facebook app, it's annoying but not Beejive's fault.

Google talk is kept connected even if you manually set it to offline - so people write to you and you never receive any IMs (unless you check your chat history at gmail.com)

I thought Google Talk handled offline messages that way? What annoys me about Google Talk in general is that it keeps you logged in when you login elsewhere and the switchboard isn't smart enough to only send messages to the active login so while chatting away on the PC I often get blasted with alerts on my iPhone as well.

For me, using Beejive right now feels exactly like it felt when I bought the Mobilechat piece of **** a year or so ago

Oh come on that is a bit of a stretch, I rarely if ever could get MobileChat to even connect let alone stay logged in, that hardly compares to Beejive.

xilosen

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
I've been waiting for them to update the app and fix some bugs before I decide if I want to purchase.

In the meantime, I just have a shortcut to Meebo. It's free and works fine.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Up until a couple of days ago, I'd have said "yes, definitely", but recently it's not been working very well: I've had a couple of push alerts appear on my phone but then when I've unlocked it and gone in to Beejive they've not appeared.

I'm guessing the problem is with Beejive rather than the Apple Push Servers because the push notification has come through OK, but either way it's annoying and does reduce the usefulness and value of Beejive. For the price, I think it should work perfectly...

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
What Makes BeeJive worth $10?

I have heard that everyone loves BeeJive but I am not sure I can justify spending the $10 on it.

What is it that makes BeeJive so much better that AIM Free (aside from Ads and multiple accounts)??

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Beejive's strength is in its interface and that it allows you to easily combine contacts/accounts from various chat clients.

If you only have AIM or only have YAHOO, etc - you'll get a nice interface - but ultimately - there's no point in getting beejive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.