PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch ibook G3 700 backlight issue.

steveolio
Jun 14, 2004, 06:22 PM
i recently started having problems with my lcd's backlight, at first it wouldn't light up, so i'd close the lid and open it back up and the back light would work again, but now that won't work, now the lcd only goes on when the lid is only open to about and inch or two, i took it in to apple, and the guy told me that it wasn't related to the logic board, so it's not coverd in the ibook repair extention program, but he did mention that the problem is related to the wirring inside my ibook, so apple can either charge me $280+ or i can open the ibook myself and fix the problem, the thing is that i have zero experience with notebook repairs, let alone apple ibooks. can anyone help me out here, what's the difficulty level for this task, is it dooable? any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Macmaniac
Jun 14, 2004, 07:15 PM
First of all I don't recommend mucking around in the iBook if you are inexperienced, you will cause more harm then good, the inverter which controls the backlight hides inside the display by the hinge and it is painstaking to get too. Now it could be your inverter or it could be the whole display. Now I did work on one iBook that had no backlight but it turned out to be a software problem. Take it to a technician and have them run SystemWorks on it to try and correct any software problems that could cause this, it is possible. That is the inexpensive solution, if they have to replace the inverter thats not too bad since its a cheap part but they will slam you on labor since it takes awhile. If its the screen get your data off and buy a new iBook, if your not under warranty its not worth the $600+ for the screen then the hundreds more for labor.