Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stofferdk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dear MacRumours reading app developers, I have an idea - and I think it would be quite a hit in the app store. I for one, need it badly.

Everyone needs a clock or timer in the kitchen, the housewives are so trained that they can use their internal clock. I am not a housewive, and I prefer a timer over a standard clock. Now what I DO NOT need, is to wash hands everytime I want to setup the timer.

App flow:

Before you begin cooking, you open the app, which will beep when its ready. The app will then activate the microphone, and await instructions. When instructed i.e. :

"IPHONE ... 30 seconds"

the iphone repeats: "30 seconds begin now" on the speaker, and a timer begins. The iPhone will then beep when the time is up... and it will be ready to take new commands.

Basically, you got a voice-controlled timer for cooking - HANDSFREE -, for hygienic reasons a knockout app.

Can anyone make this work? I got 5.99 USD that says it can.

Thank you for listening

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
I tried to do something similar for my app [app]Italian Video Recipes[/app] to switch between video steps hands-free.

Unfortunately voice recognition is difficult so I gave up.
There are some libraries for the iPhone but they cost a few thousands dollar in licenses.

I hope that someday Apple will make the voice recognition engine of the 3GS available to developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.