Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Got an email from my web-host, Just Host, this morning saying that I got selected for platinum. They say that very month they select 25 people who get this offer including a whole bunch of free stuff such as faster servers, SEO tools, statistics and so on.

It seems to be free, however I am wondering if it is going to affect my previous "contract/deal" that I made with them in terms of cost and features?

Also, is this just a marketing move by them or is it legit?

I got 24 hours to think about it, thanks.

aae000

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Wondering the same thing

I received the same email today. I'm wondering if it's legit as well. I guess that's 2 of us. If at least 24 more people respond, we'll have our answer.

masterfi

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Found Justhost Coupon #3!

Well I am not exactly using a Mac here, but I found you guys, also wondering about my Platinum Justhost.com email received today. Of course it is marketing, but it would be nice to fully understand the integrity of the Justhost marketing plan, hey?

Unfortunately, they got me with every upgrade but one on the day I registered http://www.masterfi.com which is fine, so I do not think it is worthwhile, then again they offer a badge stating they choose this rare honor of 25 sites every month from over 18 000 sites! I wonder how exclusive this badge really reads. Just curious to hear more, I will check back later!

It's kinda like Willy Wonka and the golden tickets maybe not quite as sweet :)

Ryan Paul Arnfinson
http://www.masterfi.com

shernw

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Hey guys, got the same email. It doesn't mention a charge to upgrade to platinum member anywhere does it? And I'm pretty sure 25 isn't a magic number. You can get the same page just by going to:

http://www.justhost.com/platinum

Am tempted to click "Verify", anyone else?

masterfi

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
oh for sure!

Hey, it is a full on upgrade offer once you 'verify'. They offer $538.00 of upgrades for $97.00 per year. Which is a good deal, but I already purchased all but one upgrade costing over $200.00, so wutsup with that! (upgrades are strictly non-refundable by the way it says - FYI)

I just wonder if the badge they offer can be verified as rare anywhere on their site, or if it is 100% ploy. I will write back to them to see.

Ryan

tammyj83

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Platinum Coupon #4

I also received the "Your Account Was Chosen" email. Clicked the confirm button, got the screen with the $97 charge for the $500-something in services upgrade. Decided to search further before forking over more money. I'm brand new to JustHost, don't even have my site published yet....my account is less than a month old.

SpiveyJr

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
You're not alone. I received the same email today as well. This looks more like a marketing ploy then them selecting 25 hosts. However, the platinum package for $97 does seem attractive. Would users of those services recommend upgrading?

qlightman

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
I got the same email this morning. Just like tammyj83, I am new to Justhost, I have not published my web to the public yet.

I don't believe 25 is the number they said in their email.

100% marketing trick!

masterfi

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Justhost follow upper.

Hey, I am new to Justhost.com, so we have that in common having received this offer. I would definitely recommend upgrades for anyone invested in their best success. They test your pocket book with time based upgrade savings after you register. You can always upgrade later, too. Justhost.com is a great way to secure a primary domain with unlimited hosting and bandwidth for under $40US per year (with no upgrades) if you want to reserve your idea and start building content for it. I held off the super fast servers upgrade for now because I am still building traffic, but went with all the others at a reasonable rate all things considered.

Everything else such as knowledge availability and service seem fine so far, so for the money are great value. You get upgrade deals on the day use register, plus if you 'go to cancel' by leaving the 'order confirmation screen' they will offer you an even better offer than $3.95 per month for hosting - FYI.

I primarily use Bluehost.com and can not recommend their products and service highly enough. They are consistently excellent with everything.

Ryan

igzzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Don't sign up for this, it's all one big marketing exercise, and i'm sure many people got this who aren't on platinum

if you take a look at who sent the email
justhost@aweber.com; on behalf of; Just Host [management@justhost.com]

the actual email was sent from aweber, and a quick google search comes up with this

Email Marketing Software, Email Newsletters and Autoresponders by ...
Email marketing is easy with AWeber! Send email newsletters and autoresponders. Get top-notch email deliverability with expert toll-free support.
http://www.aweber.com/ - Cached - Similar

To be honest I don't think the upgrade is really worth it anyway.

eleven2brett

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
H-Town
Advanced Statistics- Google Analytics?
Go Green Badge- Cool?
Faster Servers- Is this noticeable?
All in all, the email sounds like a hook to get you to visit this page where they display some marked up prices for vague features.

tammyj83

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Bad 1st Impression

I'm not buying it. JustHost already has my money for 1 year of hosting, but unless they do something to prove this offer legit or otherwise change my mind, I don't plan to become a repeat customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.