PDA

View Full Version : Can AT&T Handle the iPhone?

MacBytes
Jul 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Can AT&T Handle the iPhone? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090729111147)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rdowns
Jul 29, 2009, 10:24 AM
For all the criticism of ATT (lots of it legitimate), it would be no different with another carrier. None could handle this much added traffic to their networks without problems.

GoCubsGo
Jul 29, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm with rdowns. While most will scrutinize over AT&T's performance with the iPhone, I'd like to see any other carrier do it better. I am not talking about coverage area service so much as the overall handling of their network increasing more than they probably forecasted.

MacVixen
Jul 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
And I'll agree with both jessica. and rdowns :)

While I understand that no carrier could have possibly have anticipated just *how much* the iPhone would impact network traffic, the issue I have with AT&T is their apparent refusal to admit that they can't handle the traffic. What upgrades are being made? where? Pretty much every smartphone they carry can do things that the iPhone is not allowed to do. So while I have some sympathy for their growing pains, as a customer I'm not happy waiting for AT&T to grow their network to fit their iPhone customer base.

Gav2k
Jul 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
Every mobile carrier would suffer with the iPhone due to the increased data use. Any device if it were as popular as the iPhone that used data in the same way would cause issues.

JonHimself
Jul 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm all for trashing telcos (especially being in Canada) but everyone is right here (well, I believe they're right). It's actually refreshing to read level-headed, rational responses and not "Yeah, let's burn ATT at the stake!"

robbyx
Jul 29, 2009, 11:00 AM

While I understand that no carrier could have possibly have anticipated just *how much* the iPhone would impact network traffic, the issue I have with AT&T is their apparent refusal to admit that they can't handle the traffic. What upgrades are being made? where? Pretty much every smartphone they carry can do things that the iPhone is not allowed to do. So while I have some sympathy for their growing pains, as a customer I'm not happy waiting for AT&T to grow their network to fit their iPhone customer base.

Agreed. What bothers me is that they're still charging an arm and a leg for service that has really gone downhill. I'm thinking my next iPhone will be a cheap/free phone with a cheap voice plan and an iPod Touch. Between AT&T's absurd pricing and increasingly lousy coverage and service issues, I feel robbed.

jholzner
Jul 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
For all the criticism of ATT (lots of it legitimate), it would be no different with another carrier. None could handle this much added traffic to their networks without problems.

I agree. This is just another reason the iPhone should be on Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint here in the States. That way no on Telco has to deal with such a heavy load. It'll probably never be on Sprint anyway but at least T-Mobile and VZW.

srl7741
Jul 29, 2009, 11:42 AM

I also agree or understand, where they begin to loose me is when I see for example a BB user on the same Network able to use a feature I'm not allowed to.

I'm not sure why but I feel discriminated against b/c i chose to use the iPhone. Of course i base this on what I read. I'll admit I don't actually know b/c I don't set in the room when those decisions are made.

UserZero
Jul 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
I understand you people who say 'Let's see another network do better with the increase from iPhone'. But you don't really get it, ATT isn't any good to start with, The have extremely bad customer service throughout there whole origination not just wireless. There policies seem to be designed to rip off customers every chance they get(especially when they are the only option for a particular service). They are even worse than the cable company! What other company can you find that changes in 1 minute increments per call, that is if a phone call last for 1 min 1 sec, they will charge you for 2 mins, now make 10 1 min 1 sec calls and you will get billed for 20 mins. There is no excuse for this, anybody thinks there is a "Technical" reason (other than they want to nickel and dime you) has probably bought the Brooklyn bridge on more than one occasion.

Att is simply the most expesive and lousest provider out there(for any service: Wireless, Dsl, Sat, or land lines)

scaredpoet
Jul 29, 2009, 12:21 PM
I understand you people who say 'Let's see another network do better with the increase from iPhone'. But you don't really get it, ATT isn't any good to start with, The have extremely bad customer service throughout there whole origination not just wireless.

You seem to think that Verizon is somehow better. I can assure you that from personal experience, they are worse than AT&T (http://www.scaredpoet.com/wordpress/?p=1023). Throughout their entire "origination," as you put it.

Verizon is sitting pretty, but frankly I think they're glad they don't have the iPhone because it would be their network whose criticism would be the "in" thing to do.

jason221
Jul 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
Can AT&T handle the iPhone? I hope so, cause I'm not switching. Moving a family plan over to Verizon, who would most likely cripple the iPhone (No WiFi?!), does not appeal to me.

SFStateStudent
Jul 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
Too bad for the USA, b/c competition can only be measured outside of the USA. Factory nlocked iPhones are everywhere except the USA. VZ is the only other carrier that could handle the millions of iPhones...

nagromme
Jul 29, 2009, 05:16 PM
AT&T does have awful customer service. Hair-raisingly bad. Call them with a problem and expect to waste hours treading water.

Some other companies may be better in that regard--but not that much better, I suspect. Customer service from a massive corporation is almost never any good, and phone companies (AT&T and Alltel in my case) have been among the worst.

But this article is not about customer service.

This about AT&T's ability to handle the iPhone device and all that it demands of their network.

They've failed at that. But clearly any other company would too. Our infrastructure is not fully ready for palmtop computing and mobile Internet to become mainstream. And yet it happened! I'm surprised things haven't been worse.

Spreading to multiple carriers could help for a time, though.

njudah
Jul 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
all this apologizing for AT&T is silly....no duh no "one" carrier could handle the demands on its network with the iphone. Which is why no one carrier should have an exclusive deal - at least let the damned thing work on GSM carriers.

It's amazing that AT&T charges me 120 bucks a month for a service that is sub standard. Tmobile charges 1/3 the price and offers better customer service. If hacking the iphone wasn't such a risk, I'd ditch at&t in a minute and keep the iphone. Or better yet, if T Mobile also could offer an iphone, I'd buy it there !

another example of why american telephone companies suck! soviet style stagnation at spendthrift prices!

gkarris
Jul 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yes.

The question really is:

Can you handle AT&T? :eek:

:D