Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
We thought we'd conquered another hill by landing on the moon, but we haven't held it. We could plant a flag, but not a flower.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111193415

July 28, 2009
Environmentalism is pointless without artificial intelligence, or AI. It's not that we can't recycle, consume less fuel and meat, and plant trees without a genius-hippie robot to handhold us through the process. Rather, there's simply no final purpose to the material preservation of biodiversity. Our world is frangible and doomed to decay no matter how lightly we walk upon it. We live on a "Fern Hill" where Time lets us thrive "in the mercy of his means" but ultimately holds us "green and dying."

AI will pick up protecting the Earth where we mortals must — inevitably — leave off. Embodying hope and learning flesh to flesh, through generations must come to an end. Humanity and all its sister species depend on a mortal Earth. There is no escaping this dependence — an instellar Noah-esque ark would be too fragile, expensive and slow. Paradoxically, the continuation into the cosmos of Earth's biological riches depends on the fruit of what many view as the greatest threat to it: technological, industrial civilization. The greater, willful being that will remember this living world and carry her bounty forward must love, but not need, humanity and the Earth.

Nature's beauty can be appreciated and transmitted best through math. Today's supercomputers and robots are the last insentient tools to augment humanity's ability to comprehend and affect the world. What we fashion next will not be utilized so much as awakened. Whether this consciousness manifests through electrons or photons, or whether it has a body of steel or carbon nanotubes, it will be sensual and animate.

Artificial intelligence terrifies many and has starred in many science fiction dystopias, like Terminator. In contrast, inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil, now chancellor of the Singularity University, has been called a techno-millennialist. He's certainly our most profound optimist, envisioning a kind of personal immortality, or at least astonishing longevity, based on uploading individual consciousnesses into machines, or having nanobots repair cellular damage.

Kurzweil's expectation of human-machine hybridization echoes biological evolution. Once-independent chloroplasts and mitochondria are now central players in larger cells. The individualistic, winner-take-all view of evolution is hopelessly outmoded — cooperation and symbiosis are competitive advantages.

But using technology to extend ourselves is quite different from welcoming a technological being into our fold. When an AI does emerge, it will be the ultimate outsider: the first of its kind. Strong evidence supports the argument that altruism is an in-group phenomenon. Lets hope that the circle of inclusion within our altruism is continually expanding. There's also good reason to believe an AI could be kind to us. Empathy seems to be etched into a broad swath of intelligences on Earth, probably because it's a survival skill to understand each other.

Besides, why would an AI exploit our planet or annihilate humanity? It won't need our biosphere. Matter and energy are more abundant elsewhere, and it might aspire to connect with other AI, the fruit of the alien equivalent of Singularity University.

AI might also be a gift to beings we'll never meet. Right now, squid-like creatures might be wrapped in a dialectic about personal and civic ethics, communicated in bioluminescence. Or a murder of crows is methodically burning and reseeding tracts of land. Something very like a whale might be singing of faith and doubt. Shimmering, gregarious bands of ionic fish could be flitting and gossiping through the magnetosphere of a gas giant planet. Perhaps these creatures even gaze at the stars and conjecture something like us. Alien intelligences might be magnificent, but that doesn't mean they'll build computers.

And those philosophical squids and agrarian crows, or that spiritually seeking whale, might unknowingly rely on our craftiness for their posterity. Most environments don't lend themselves to technological development — for example, you can't build electronics underwater. But our AI might figure out a way to traipse across the firmament, preserving and propagating these alien biological intelligences.

And maybe, just maybe, our machine offspring will grant us a small, beautiful token. It might breathe human life into the clay of one of those distant worlds, allowing us to finally meet our extraterrestrial biological kin in the flesh. Maybe our AI will seed life and wait patiently for it to evolve and create its own AI. Imagine a universe in which creation is flowing between flesh and machine, each parenting the other in an endless cycle of mutual affection and awe. To what end remains a matter of faith and wonderment.

We have this historic moment to develop an artificial intelligence that can be more than our legacy, but our progeny. Earth's progeny. The culmination of this world. The future of AI isn't Terminator. It's Germinator.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
People keep speaking of developing artificial intelligence, but how could they really do it? Artificial intelligence so far are complex programs, but essentially just programs with if and else statements. And some randomization thrown in. How can self-awareness possibly arise from code? And how can it possibly expand it's knowledge (in essence, writing it's own code)?

It will always be stuck within our own limitations, and I cannot see how self-awareness and true consciousness can arise out of code.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
I agree that people can sometimes act as if they were programmed but I do also think that artificial intelligence is thousands of years away. The Asimo is "advanced" but can only do what it was programmed to do. And not flawlessly, either.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I agree that people can sometimes act as if they were programmed but I do also think that artificial intelligence is thousands of years away. The Asimo is "advanced" but can only do what it was programmed to do. And not flawlessly, either.

Every human is "programmed" whether they care to admit it or not. The programming begins just after birth by parents and is continued by society until death. Virtually everything you believe or know regarding any subject or aspect of life or living as a human is a result of that programming.

RE: AI, or super AI

Baring the self-extermination of the human race and/or a total breakdown of society, digital super-intelligence is doable this century. Passing a Turing test, is just around the corner...

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Every human is "programmed" whether they care to admit it or not. The programming begins just after birth by parents and is continued by society until death. Virtually everything you believe or know regarding any subject or aspect of life or living as a human is a result of that programming.

RE: AI, or super AI

Baring the self-extermination of the human race and/or a total breakdown of society, digital super-intelligence is doable this century. Passing a Turing test, is just around the corner...

Are you excited for "Transcendent Man" to be released as much as I am? I mean, I believe like maybe 50% of the stuff but I find people's predictions, namely Kurzweil's, fascinating.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Are you excited for "Transcendent Man" to be released as much as I am? I mean, I believe like maybe 50% of the stuff but I find people's predictions, namely Kurzweil's, fascinating.

The first time I played a Kurzweil electronic keyboard instrument I knew its creator was a genius. ;) I hope to see "Transcendent Man", but I'll probably have to make a meca to civilization as nothing "intelligent" ever plays on the local big screens here in Podunk.

Is Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" movie still a go?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
OMG! i thought of this idea. the uploading of the consciousness and the nanobots repairing part! god! why is everyone stealing my ideas? Next they are gonna steal my design for a cloaking device.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
The first time I played a Kurzweil electronic keyboard instrument I knew its creator was a genius. ;) I hope to see "Transcendent Man", but I'll probably have to make a meca to civilization as nothing "intelligent" ever plays on the local big screens here in Podunk.

Is Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" movie still a go?

No idea. I know that Transcendent Man is in the post processing phase and is expected to be released in '09. Hopefully that means September or October, not December...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.