PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo to launch 100MB free e-mail

MacBytes
Jun 14, 2004, 11:12 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Yahoo to launch 100MB free e-mail (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040615001221)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

azdude
Jun 14, 2004, 11:20 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Yahoo to launch 100MB free e-mail (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040615001221)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

As soon as someone releases 100MB + mail accounts for free, with IMAP access... I'm there.

strngwys
Jun 15, 2004, 12:27 AM
IMAP makes all the difference.

Especially since i'm on the road most of the time with my laptop.

Jyril
Jun 15, 2004, 03:32 AM
Ack. The new Yahoo Mail is horrible. I was a beta tester for the past 3 versions of Yahoo Mail, and none of them were even close to as bad as this. From having my entire page appear in code to causing Safari on my Mac and Internet Explorer on my Sony notebook to crash, it is simply horrible. The entire thing is full of bugs which need immediate fixing. I couldn't even check my mail due to the unstability of the service.

The entire thing seems very rushed. I expect this type of thing out of Hotmail, not Yahoo. I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to shut down parts of the mail service in order to fix the issues.

slipper
Jun 15, 2004, 04:10 AM
i just found out about this when i checked my email 10 minutes ago. 100mb is GREAT!

BTW what does IMAP stand for and what is it?

sjk
Jun 15, 2004, 04:24 AM
BTW what does IMAP stand for and what is it?IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. (http://www.imap.org) Next time, try using Google or some other web search engine!

FastMail (http://www.fastmail.fm) is a well-recommended IMAP provider. See Infinite Ink's IMAP Service Providers (http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/) for others (and ask Nancy to split that huge page into smaller sections! :)).

sjk
Jun 15, 2004, 04:31 AM
Ack. The new Yahoo Mail is horrible. I was a beta tester for the past 3 versions of Yahoo Mail, and none of them were even close to as bad as this.Hmm, I just logged in and got the 100MB upgrade announcement but any differences beyond the color changes weren't obvious.

agentmouthwash
Jun 15, 2004, 06:33 AM
It doesn't play nice with Safari.
I'm using Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) and I'm having
a hard time deleting my messages and
logging on to my.yahoo.com.

I hope this is fixed soon!

Longey Nowze
Jun 15, 2004, 06:49 AM
i still have 6MB :( most of that is full already where is my 100MB :mad:

drizahy4
Jun 15, 2004, 07:58 AM
I'll stick with SpyMac (http://www.spymac.com). Free POP3, 1 gig of space, works great with Mail, and best of all it does not get block from servers when i apply for beta tests unlike yahoo.

FriarTuck
Jun 15, 2004, 08:46 AM
I have a few free Yahoo accounts I use for spam-likely registrations and the like. They've all been upgraded to 100 MB.

I have a main Yahoo Plus mail account I use for my real life. And it is still showing 25 MB of storage. So free = 100MB, while $29.99 = 25 MB.

:mad:

Unicron100
Jun 15, 2004, 09:18 AM
It doesn't play nice with Safari.
I'm using Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) and I'm having
a hard time deleting my messages and
logging on to my.yahoo.com.

I hope this is fixed soon!

I'm having the same problem. Safari cannot click on the new Yahoo mail buttons in the browser (delete, forward, spam, etc.)

However, Camino, Firefox, and Omniweb all work fine.

macridah
Jun 15, 2004, 09:44 AM
Ack. The new Yahoo Mail is horrible. I was a beta tester for the past 3 versions of Yahoo Mail, and none of them were even close to as bad as this. From having my entire page appear in code to causing Safari on my Mac and Internet Explorer on my Sony notebook to crash, it is simply horrible. The entire thing is full of bugs which need immediate fixing. I couldn't even check my mail due to the unstability of the service.

The entire thing seems very rushed. I expect this type of thing out of Hotmail, not Yahoo. I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to shut down parts of the mail service in order to fix the issues.

The new interface is kinda ugly ... the colors are just not the right combination or something--it makes my eyes hurt.

I like my .mac account because it works well with my mac apps, but the better do something soon because i don't like the price/value ratio. hint hint

FriarTuck
Jun 15, 2004, 09:59 AM
After griping above, I got this e-mail from Yahoo:

Dear Yahoo! Mail Plus Subscriber,

Thanks for subscribing to Yahoo! Mail Plus. It's our goal to offer you an email experience that makes it easy to stay in touch and offers great value. Periodically, we make changes to enhance the service for our users. As of June 15, 2004, you'll enjoy the following benefits at no additional charge:
Increase in your storage quota to 2GB
No graphical ads
A streamlined interface that's even easier to use

But it still shows me using 29 percent of my 25 MB of storage.
And the interface doesn't completely reveal for me using IE 6.0 on WinXP. So it's not just a Safari problem.

mkrishnan
Jun 15, 2004, 10:07 AM
Hmmm...I still have an SBC integrated account for a short while longer, so I got bumped to 2GB this morning. :D Of course I moved all my old mail off it onto mail.app in preparation for this account to be bumped back down but.....

FWIW in Safari 1.2.2 (125.8) I am having trouble neither with My Y! or with the new mail page design.

I did get the e-mail saying the acct size had been bumped up about five times, OTOH. :)

shamino
Jun 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
It seems to have worked OK for me. My account size says there's a 100M capacity now.

I haven't had any compatibility problems (started using it this morning), but I'm using Mozilla, not Safari, so that may be the difference.

Of course, for me, this doesn't matter much. I never came close to the older 10M quota either.

SilvorX
Jun 15, 2004, 12:53 PM
works fine for me on both firefox and safari

daveg5
Jun 15, 2004, 02:56 PM
which do you use?
spymac has had 1000MB for almost 2 months now. free but slow
.mac has 15MB not free
msn has 2MB free
Google will have 1000MB free but will read your email and sell info to advertiser who will put relevant ads in there.
who's next to increase.
yahoo 100MB free and works well
netscape 5MB free no spam protector

mkrishnan
Jun 15, 2004, 04:33 PM
I use Yahoo as my primary and Hotmail as my secondary, and sometimes Univ. acct directly through POP now that mail.app manages multiple accts (before I had it auto-forward to Y!).

But to be honest its more whichever e-mail address people know (which is Yahoo) more than anything else. :(

If I were starting over, #1-2 features would be free POP3 or IMAP and forwarding. Actually they *were* both free when I first got Yahoo.....

Longey Nowze
Jun 15, 2004, 05:03 PM
OmniWeb says I have 100MB Safari Says I have 6MB? :confused: which is true?!

It's there first day of a HUGE change so problems are expected I'll give them a few days before I start to really complain :p I'm just happy to get 100MB free, that's as big as my iDisk!

sjk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:43 PM
spymac has had 1000MB for almost 2 months now. free but slowSlow and gaudy.
Google will have 1000MB free but will read your email and sell info to advertiser who will put relevant ads in there.That sounds inaccurate if you're claiming that info they're selling to advertisers is based on scanning your e-mail.

Gmail makes a good repository for mailing lists archives.

If I were starting over, #1-2 features would be free POP3 or IMAP and forwarding.And using your own domain name(s) for addresses offers more flexible permanence than using what provider(s) offer.

gallagb
Jun 15, 2004, 06:38 PM
hey
yea - i've been a long time yahoo e-mail person
and was quite pleased this morning to get that e-mail
but frustrated as i couldn't do much using safari
had to switch over and use IE to do some deleting of e-mails this morning

same thing now

any ideas?
what version is working?

Longey Nowze
Jun 15, 2004, 09:37 PM
ok I got my 100MB but in Safari it looks UGLY! I tried in OmniWeb 4.5 and FireFox 0.9 it looks decent on both, which got me thinking, doesn't OW 4.5 use the same rendering engine as Safari? why doesn't it look decent in Safari?

very good job from the people at yahoo! give them a few days and they'll have things going ok I hope.

Thanks
MaT

MoparShaha
Jun 16, 2004, 12:22 AM
I'm having problems with Safari also. The pull down menus and other buttons won't work when I click on them. If I right-click and select "Open Link in New Window", it will open the new window and load the page. I've sent them feedback, hopefully it'll be taken care of. I'm a little dissapointed they didn't check compatibility with Safari before releasing this new email system. I thought Yahoo! was on top of stuff like this.

themadchemist
Jun 16, 2004, 12:44 AM
hmm, somehow I don't really care.

Doctor Q
Jun 16, 2004, 01:05 AM
Cross reference: There are a few other comments about this topic in the Yahoo Mails Tries to Compete with Gmail thread.

mkrishnan
Jun 16, 2004, 05:56 AM
And using your own domain name(s) for addresses offers more flexible permanence than using what provider(s) offer.

That's not a bad idea...will have to look at that more seriously one of these days.

Longey Nowze
Jun 16, 2004, 08:38 AM
it's working almost fine in Safari now... just to let people know if anyone cares that is... good job by Yahoo! people.

FriarTuck
Jun 16, 2004, 09:37 AM
Well, after all of my griping yesterday, it seems to be working fine today in Safari. I like it.

radhak
Jun 16, 2004, 09:54 AM
Google will have 1000MB free but will read your email and sell info to advertiser who will put relevant ads in there.

That sounds inaccurate if you're claiming that info they're selling to advertisers is based on scanning your e-mail.

how is that inaccurate? advertisements will appear along my email based on the content (text) within my email, long known fact about Gmail, which implicitly means that their program is going to scan each and every email of mine.

personally, i don't have much against it now, but this could easily have other repurcussions in the years to come (to begin with, lowered antipathy to loss of privacy as long as some freebie is offered)

shamino
Jun 16, 2004, 10:27 AM
how is that inaccurate? advertisements will appear along my email based on the content (text) within my email, long known fact about Gmail, which implicitly means that their program is going to scan each and every email of mine.
The inaccuracy is that Google is inserting the ads, not third-parties.

They scan your mailbox to come up with categories for ads that they think will be of interest to you. They then pick ads from those categories.

They do this without actually giving your personal information to the advertisers.

You may consider this meaningless semantics, but trust me, this makes a huge difference. Google already has access your personal information, since they're hosting the mailbox - their ad insertion changes nothing WRT your privacy.

solvs
Jun 16, 2004, 04:36 PM
I was having issues with Yahoo at work on my XP machine with IE 6. It seems to work ok now, but I just use it as a back-up.

I use Hotmail as a primary. All my stuff goes there, had the account for years. I'm hoping for a bump to their service as well. Eventually, I'm sure.

sjk
Jun 17, 2004, 01:00 AM
That's not a bad idea...will have to look at that more seriously one of these days.A relatively inexpensive way to start would be to register a domain name (e.g. $8.88/yr @ NameCheap (www.namecheap.com)), get a Guest (free) or lifetime Member ($14.95 one-time payment) account with FastMail (www.fastmail.fm), and have NameCheap forward e-mail for your domain addresses to your FastMail account. You can use personalities with FastMail webmail to set the sender address for outgoing mail to different ones with your domain name (e.g. myname@example.com, mylists@example.com) or use an IMAP client with that capability (I use Mulberry identities; IIRC Apple Mail has limited support for using different sender addresses).

That's the general idea anyway.

how is that inaccurate?What shamino wrote (thanks).

Google already has access your personal information, since they're hosting the mailbox - their ad insertion changes nothing WRT your privacy.That's a simple, obvious, smart observation which is completely overlooked in most discussions (and arguments, frankly) I've read about Gmail and AdSense privacy issues.

And most Internet e-mail correspondence is unencrypted. Even if you're using SSL/TLS between your system and IMAP, POP3, SMTP servers it's quite likely a high percentage of messages won't be sent/received/stored/viewed securely somewhere in their lifetime. You may send/receive securely but there's no guarantee other senders/recipients are doing the same.