Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Ok,

I've shot a documentary in HDV 1440x1080i50... and it's 16:9 widescreen of course, to be screened for 18 months in a museum with a specially built room with 4:3 projector and 4:3 dimension panels.

The film will need to be outputted to 4:3... I've shot within the 4:3 guidelines on the LCD display on the camera.

How do I output from FCP 6.0.6 so that only the information I shot within the 4:3 guidelines appears. I've tried various combinations but all give me a 16:9 image squashed up into 4:3...

Please, if I've not articulated myself very well, make it known!

UPDATE: I should mention that I do not want black bars at the top and bottom.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Using the Export->Quicktime Conversion feature under the Size options you pick a 4x3 aspect ratio and then there is a dropdown menu that allows you to select letterbox or crop. Crop is what you want. There is probably a way to do this in Compressor as well I just don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Lethal

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
is it 4x3 at standard def? if so create a 4x3 SD time line and nest you original edit in to it , resize to fit the 4x3 frame, then output file / tape etc...

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Using the Export->Quicktime Conversion feature under the Size options you pick a 4x3 aspect ratio and then there is a dropdown menu that allows you to select letterbox or crop. Crop is what you want. There is probably a way to do this in Compressor as well I just don't know what it is off the top of my head.

Lethal

Thank you very much. I'm not with the machine right now but I'll try it out asap.

Thanks!

is it 4x3 at standard def? if so create a 4x3 SD time line and nest you original edit in to it , resize to fit the 4x3 frame, then output file / tape etc...

Actually yeah.... :confused:

The projector is an SD projector... does this cause a problem?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I got a chance to try LethalWolfe's suggestion, but to no avail.

I went: Export > Quicktime Converstion > MPEG4-Video... Then, Size > PAL 720 x 576 4:3 > Preserve Aspect Ratio using (Pulldown menu) > Crop

This is the result:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    1 MB · Views: 87

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
well if they playing out on a SD projector you need to play the film from a SD source, what have they asked the film to be delivered as ?, DVD , QT , wmv,

If they playing the film from a DVD you need to down convert you file to pal SD file to make the DVD.

Here a small project with a 1080i to PAL DV 4x3 nest,

http://www.virtualliveband.co.uk/1080toSD.zip

Thanks for your help evil_santa

I don't exactly know what I'm doing with the project file you attached?

I'm an amateur, who is lucky enough making money from video. I have a tremendous amount to learn...

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I did it.

I exported some of the timeline from FCP to Compressor, then used the 10-Bit Uncompressed 1080i50 preset, which I then cropped to 4:3...

I have a 4:3 'center-cut' video file.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 82

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Using the crop function in Compressor is an option too, although I don't know if using the 8-bit, uncompressed 1080i50 codec is the best choice though as you seemingly end up w/an HD codec that is 4x3 instead of 16x9.

You could check out this thread at the COW about using compressor to go from 16x9 to 4x3 or, as another poster suggested, you could drop your HD sequence into a 4x3 sequence inside FCP and export from that sequence. By default FCP will letter box the footage but you can just go up to Motion tab and put "scale" back to 100% and you'll get a center cropped image.

Lethal

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Using the crop function in Compressor is an option too, although I don't know if using the 8-bit, uncompressed 1080i50 codec is the best choice though as you seemingly end up w/an HD codec that is 4x3 instead of 16x9.

Lethal

I see.

So, if this will be playing on an SD projector, which codec would you recommend instead of 10Bit Uncompressed 1080i50...?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
What is being used to play it back (computer, dvd player, etc.,)?

Lethal

Some kind of video rack, it's like a dedicated video player with an S-Video output, built into a server rack.

Either that or it's a Core 2 Duo PC with an S-Video output to a SD Christie projector.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
you best bet is to give them a call and ask how they want it delivered, i recently did a job thats playing on a plasma screen at schiphol airport and it took quite a few goes to get a file they could play, i believe they were playing of a PC and didn't want to install quicktime, so we gave them a few wmv & AVis until they decided to put quicktime on the PC and use h.264

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
you best bet is to give them a call and ask how they want it delivered, i recently did a job thats playing on a plasma screen at schiphol airport and it took quite a few goes to get a file they could play, i believe they were playing of a PC and didn't want to install quicktime, so we gave them a few wmv & AVis until they decided to put quicktime on the PC and use h.264

I actually work in the museum this is going to be screened. I'll ask next time I see the technician involved in the hardware.

I'm almost positive that they're running .mov files from dedicated video encoders in rack mounts. It's a £33.5 million pound 'interactive' museum.

I guess I could elaborate a little:

I've been asked to produce a 6 minute 'in house' documentary on a 'days work' in the music industry in Wales. We're an industrial and social museum, and this year the theme for new content is 'music'. The film will look at 'grass roots' establishments musicians/choirs/bands which then leads onto legendary recording studios (Rockfield - Queen, Black Sabbath and Oasis) to outlets (Spiller's Records - Oldest record store in the World) and icons (Super Furry Animals).

The screening room will consist of two projectors, a primary and secondary screen (each showing different video, making up a dual screen film), which entirely cover 2 out of 3 walls in the room. The walls are around 4:3 ratio.

As you enter the room, you sit in front of primary screen, with secondary screen (wall) on your left. Speakers are situated at ear level.

Thanks again for your input.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Ok,

I've shot a documentary in HDV 1440x1080i50... and it's 16:9 widescreen of course, to be screened for 18 months in a museum with a specially built room with 4:3 projector and 4:3 dimension panels.

The film will need to be outputted to 4:3... I've shot within the 4:3 guidelines on the LCD display on the camera.

How do I output from FCP 6.0.6 so that only the information I shot within the 4:3 guidelines appears. I've tried various combinations but all give me a 16:9 image squashed up into 4:3...

Please, if I've not articulated myself very well, make it known!

UPDATE: I should mention that I do not want black bars at the top and bottom.

Sorry is 1440 x 1080 not 4:3 aspect and 1920 x 1080 is 16:9, i don't have much knowledge on video so if I'm wrong could someone explain.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Sorry is 1440 x 1080 not 4:3 aspect and 1920 x 1080 is 16:9, i don't have much knowledge on video so if I'm wrong could someone explain.
The pixels are rectangular, not square, so even though it's 1440 pixels wide when properly displayed the image is 1920. It's a form of compression to help keep the data rate down.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.