PDA

View Full Version : Live video streaming

papersushi
Jun 15, 2004, 01:48 AM
I want to stream internal Cable TV program online(privated organizational internal station, so no copyrights issue). What am I thinking is to get a firewire TV turner or a firewire analog-DV converter, connect it to the cable TV box via RCA connection. Then run QuickTime Broadcaster on OS 10.3 server. Anyone has done this before? Is it something that is workable? I need some recommendations on TV turner card or DV converter.

jsw
Jun 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
I'm looking to do the same thing. I'll let you know if I can figure out something. I'm pretty sure I could buy my way into something quite workable, but my goal is to do so as cheaply as possible. I'll try to post again in a day or two.

LeeTom
Jun 16, 2004, 02:07 AM
I needed to stream the Daily Show to my wife so she could watch it too while she was away. Here's what I did:

I plugged my Sony TRV-11 digital camcorder into my powerbook via firewire, and plugged my tv's output into the camcorder's analog connections. (my camcorder has the ability to take an incoming analog video signal and convert it to digital.. not the best, but it works.)

then, i opened iChat, and chose the camcorder as my webcam. all she had to do was start a video chat with me. apparantly the quality was more than decent enough to watch.

i was going to go the quicktime broadcaster route, but the show was on in like 5 minutes, and i had to hurry

Lee Tom

jsw
Jun 16, 2004, 12:16 PM
That seems like it'll do the trick for me as well.

Assuming my Sony DCR-TRV310 can do the same - it's four and a half years old, and I've never had it take any input aside from its own CCD.

And, yes, why use QT Broadcaster when iChat will do the trick? Esp. if sending to just one person?

Great idea. Thanks!

jimsowden
Jun 16, 2004, 12:46 PM
Quicktime broadcaster can take a video signal and send it to one other computer via the internet. Then, this other computer needs to be running quicktime streaming server and 10.3 server to be able to make a webcast (fyi-get a siht load of bandwidth) thats how a large webcast is done.

papersushi
Jun 16, 2004, 03:14 PM
Can you run QuickTime broadcaster and streaming server on the same machine at the same time?

jsw
Jun 16, 2004, 03:52 PM
Can you run QuickTime broadcaster and streaming server on the same machine at the same time?

Side note: Interestingly, the Apple QuickTime Streaming Server (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/) page doesn't list a G5 as an allowed system (except for the Xserve). Typo, methinks.

As far as I can tell, yes, you can run both at once. But I can't find a verification of this. QuickTime Broadcaster boasts of "Integration with QuickTime Streaming Server", so this seems to imply "on the same machine at the same time".