Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
weev said:
anyone got an eta?

it was june but that's been scapped.

kind of hanging out for it :p

Have you ordered already?

I heard that an Apple rep said last week that any new orders for mini ipods in Australia may have to wait until December due to existing backorders and expected supply. No idea how accurate this is but given the history so far this year it wouldn't surprise me.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Right with you Aswitcher - would not be a surprise at all. Especially given the ridiculous waiting periods in the US, how on Earth are a few hundred thousand iPods going to materialise to meet demand there and overseas?

It's not a surprise that we always get the short end of the stick - what's wrong with shipping the damn things globally from the factory? What is surprising is the fact that they continually set target deadlines that they haven't a hope in the world of meeting...

April... July... December (only a matter of time)... whatever.

Interesting though that what the Apple rep allegedly said seems to imply that Australian preorders will be met - I find this a little strange since they have not yet even opened up preordering on the Apple Australia Online store. Given their relationship with resellers, I would think that the reseller preorder numbers don't mean anything to them viz the orders they receive direct - it will just end up being a catfight between the resellers on how many they can secure to fill their backorders and Apple Australia trying to satisfy direct demand from their online store. And those fights tend to be won by Apple Australia...

Anyway, time will tell. I hope I eat my words, but I'm not optimistic.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
OziMac said:
Right with you Aswitcher - would not be a surprise at all. Especially given the ridiculous waiting periods in the US, how on Earth are a few hundred thousand iPods going to materialise to meet demand there and overseas?

It's not a surprise that we always get the short end of the stick - what's wrong with shipping the damn things globally from the factory? What is surprising is the fact that they continually set target deadlines that they haven't a hope in the world of meeting...

April... July... December (only a matter of time)... whatever.

I'm going to pull a figure completely out of my arse, and say that iPod minis won't be in general availability worldwide until a year after the initlal announcement (ie: January 2005). For all intents and purposes, the iPod mini is vapourware outside of one country on this planet. We might as well be talking about Duke Nukem Forever shipping dates.

weev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
patience is a sound virtue

Apple know how to create demand for their products, and they don't even try :eek:

Patience... after all, it's only a techno-gizmo :rolleyes:

I read somewhere...July (apple au website), and am unaware of any pre-orders being made or met

Deep breathes, mmmm, waiting is good, reaaaal goooood

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.