Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Okay, so I was just looking around and I found a 2gb stick DDR laptop memory (same stats as the 1gb stick already in my PB). Would the PowerBook recognize the 2gb? I didn't think anybody made 2gb DDR sticks but I managed to find one by Kingston on Amazon.

JAGMAN

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
2 gb will work fine. You'll need 2 one gb sticks. The original specks said a max of 1gb because at the time 512mb was the biggest chip available. Either pc 2700 or 3200 ram. (original specks, just the larger size)

I have 2gb in my Powebook G4 1.0ghz machine.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
i believe the 12" model only has one user-replaceable slot/stick. The built-in RAM is not replaceable. If there is in fact a 2GB stick, your actual RAM would be 2GB+built in (256MB, 512MB lol).

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
So if I put two 2gb sticks in my 17" PowerBook would it register as 4gb ram?

OP-> Now you've got me real curious and all my web searching has found me nada. Can you put a link to what you were looking at on amazon? Or at the least what is the brand ect.
thanks

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
So if I put two 2gb sticks in my 17" PowerBook would it register as 4gb ram?

OP-> Now you've got me real curious and all my web searching has found me nada. Can you put a link to what you were looking at on amazon? Or at the least what is the brand ect.
thanks

No. You can put as much ram in there as you want but there are both physical and firmware limits to how much RAM a computer can actually address. The most RAM any 17" PowerBook could address was 2GB...so your computer will only "see" 2gb of that, making the excess 2gb totally wasted.

All the 12" G4 models had 256mb soldered to the mainboard and the most RAM the single available slot can take is a 1gb stick. You can stick a 2GB in there but it will not address 2GB.

JAGMAN

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Sorry if my post was misleading. My 2GB experience was on a 17" PB G4 1.0Ghz. I do know that is the max for this machine. (even though Apple documentation says 1GB max)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.