PDA

View Full Version : Sonos introduces wireless network audio player.

MacBytes
Jun 15, 2004, 08:23 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Sonos introduces wireless network audio player. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040615092308)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

macphisto
Jun 15, 2004, 09:18 AM
Somebody might want to mention to them (or Apple) that the iPod's scroll wheel is being patented. The navigation buttons look far to similar to the iPod's and I would suspect as soon as Apple gets wind of this that they will go after them with a vengence. Or at least a cease and desist order.

:eek:

macten
Jun 15, 2004, 10:11 AM
:eek: At that price I can put an iPod and Klipsch speakers in every room! Or if I wanted to stay wireless, the Airport Express.

gunnmjk
Jun 15, 2004, 10:42 AM
Anybody know what kind of software it needs on the computer? Its able to stream the album art and song list to the remote device, so I"m wondering what kind of software it uses, since it probably won't be able to be used w/ iTunes.

dombi
Jun 15, 2004, 10:44 AM
I find this to be quite interesting...not the cheapest solution, but I think it has its own market. You can also hook up to it, almost any (RCA type) source and play those though the speakers...the addition of external spakers and subwoofer is also nice.

If I had the money and need for it, I might actually give this thing a try.
:-)

montex
Jun 15, 2004, 10:46 AM
I give it a week before Steve's law hounds get them to pull the product off the market for imitating the iPod scroll wheel. Too bad - so sad. Looks like it had some potential.

nacl99
Jun 15, 2004, 11:19 AM
although, that remote is exactly what i want apple to make to control express. it would be awesome.

except maybe a little thinner, and whiter, and cheaper.

jimthorn
Jun 15, 2004, 11:27 AM
It looks nice, but still a bit big and clunky and WAY too expensive. A similar kind of remote connected via Airport/Bluetooth to a Mac in combination with Airport Express would be fantastic.

Oh, and about the Apple patented scroll wheel, see this article on Wired (http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=337664).

nubero
Jun 15, 2004, 01:25 PM
Somebody might want to mention to them (or Apple) that the iPod's scroll wheel is being patented. The navigation buttons look far to similar to the iPod's and I would suspect as soon as Apple gets wind of this that they will go after them with a vengence. Or at least a cease and desist order.

:eek:

Yeah... they're gonna get sued big time...

--- --- --- --- ---
My free Desktop Pictures!
http://homepage.mac.com/nuber

musicmaaan
Jun 15, 2004, 02:09 PM
Anybody know what kind of software it needs on the computer? Its able to stream the album art and song list to the remote device, so I"m wondering what kind of software it uses, since it probably won't be able to be used w/ iTunes.

I called Sonos at 800 680 2345 and a support guy (David) said it doesn't need any software on the computer. He said the ZonePlayer will pull all the song tags, cover art and playlists from iTunes and present them on the Controller. He said you could also copy your iTunes to a NAS box and turn off the Mac and still play all your songs.

It seems too good to be true. I wonder if it will ever ship?

Mudbug
Jun 15, 2004, 02:43 PM
It seems too good to be true. I wonder if it will ever ship?

in it's present form, probably not, if apple legal has anything to say about it. You know it's got to be infringing on a patent or two if Steve himself says "i bet that's breaking a patent law or two"

where are they getting the components for it? That scrollwheel looks IDENTICLE to the ipod's...

bertagert
Jun 15, 2004, 02:54 PM
This thread is a little late as Sonos released all the info on the 7th at D: All Things Digital. This is where Steve Jobs walked up and said, "I believe that infringes on Apple patents". I guess better late then never. :rolleyes:

However, this system would be really really sweet if all things go through and they can drop the price a bit. I have shown three of my friends and they all signed up so they can get it as soon as it comes out. They weren't worried about the price (I have to say that I'm not either because this is too cool), however, for mass sales the price will defintely need to come down.

Mudbug
Jun 15, 2004, 03:12 PM
This thread is a little late as Sonos released all the info on the 7th at D: All Things Digital. This is where Steve Jobs walked up and said, "I believe that infringes on Apple patents". I guess better late then never. :rolleyes:

I don't remember you submitting the link back then...

bertagert
Jun 15, 2004, 03:36 PM
I don't remember you submitting the link back then...
I use to submit info but was never successful so I gave up on it. Sorry. Maybe in the future.

bertagert
Jun 15, 2004, 03:41 PM
To help out though, heres a few links.

Engadget.com (about Sonos release) (http://www.engadget.com/entry/0894670680278779/)

About Steve job's quote (http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=337664)

dmjunkie
Jun 24, 2004, 04:35 PM

So has anyone heard anything else about this? It has been well over a month since this alleged confrontation at D. :confused:
I think the Sonos system is exactly what I have been looking for, and I don't want to keep my hopes up if Apple is going to go after them.

I love my IPOD in the car and at the gym, but HATE IT at home. I want to live up to my reputation as a couch potato, and not have to go to my computer to change my music. Those in wall systems built into new homes is WAY MORE expensive than the Sonos stuff. It is definately for a targeted audience, but I guess anyone who has the money to buy a new home, can probably find a few $1000's to put this in their home instead of the $10000+ for a Crestron that you pretty much cannot upgrade easily or take with you when you move.

Any news would be welcome as I just came into some $$$ from taking a loss on some tech stocks, and figured I might as well buy something I know I will be able to actually enjoy. Probably will depreciate less than my tech stocks too!

ChrisF - Sonos
Jul 2, 2004, 04:20 PM
So has anyone heard anything else about this? It has been well over a month since this alleged confrontation at D. :confused:
I think the Sonos system is exactly what I have been looking for

<snip>

Any news would be welcome as I just came into some $$$ from taking a loss on some tech stocks, and figured I might as well buy something I know I will be able to actually enjoy. Probably will depreciate less than my tech stocks too!

Hi,

I work for Sonos in our technical support team.

Thanks everyone for all your interest in our product. We're on track to ship in the fall. The beta program is going well and we're excited for the weeks ahead!

Feel free to contact us if there is anything you'd like to know.

Thanks, Chris
--
Sonos Technical Support
800 680 2345