PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer online coming to the mac. Do you care?

mysockshurt
Jul 30, 2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.warhammeronline.com/mac/
Here is the link to the news about it.

Its a cider port

About WAR Mac Version

WAR for the Mac is made possible using the CiderTM Portability Engine from TransGaming (TSX-V: TNG) that acts as a "wrapper" around the game software, enabling it to run seamlessly on Intel-based Macs. TransGaming's Cider technology allows Mythic Entertainment to rapidly enable and deploy WAR for the Mac, providing a new high quality gaming experience to the ever-growing Mac gaming community.

Here are the system specs
Minimum System Requirements

* Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard or higher
* Intel Core Duo Processor
* 2 Gigabyte RAM
* ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM
* At least 15 GB of hard drive space for installation.
* This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac).
* Supported Video Cards
o ATI Radeon(TM) series
o X1600, X1900, HD 2400, HD 2600, 3870
o NVIDIA GeForce series
o 7300, 7600, 8600, 8800
o This game will not run on the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

Now most importantly...do you care?
:apple:

SilentPanda
Jul 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
Must... resist... the warhammer... *twitch*

I have a level 15/16 or something that I had while playing via bootcamp... I think I have the willpower to resist... I think...

toomuchstereo
Jul 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
Great game. In my opinion one of the more fun MMO's.

DdMac679
Jul 30, 2009, 12:08 PM
I tried it for a month on the PC after I quit WoW and although I felt it had possibilities it didn't hold my interest very long. The one good thing about this though is that more companies are trying to bring Mac to the MMO world.

Miharu
Jul 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
I dont' care that much, as I'm a terrible WoW addict. Also I tried the trial on Bootcamp and wasn't very impressed, especially at the animation and texture quality, which were terribly bad compared to other modern MMORPG's like LoTRO. Of course graphics don't make the game but it's odd how it looks much worse than WoW which is much older.

Hydra
Jul 30, 2009, 12:47 PM
The Cider part really gives goosebumps. :mad:

phobic99
Jul 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
I played this game from very early beta until about 2 months after release. I'll just say the game launched with over 30 North American servers and they're down to about 11 right now (with only 3 being really popular).

Tier 1 (levels 1 thru about 12ish) are probably the most fun IMO and then the game goes downhill the higher you get. I quit playing back in November with hopes of coming back later but with each patch I get more and more uninterested. It's fairly certain I won't ever play this game again.

Hopefully some of you guys will have a better experience than I did with WAR. Maybe I'll even give my account away. :D

Huntn
Jul 30, 2009, 03:32 PM
Most MMOs I've seen of this type are just trying to duplicate WoW in some form hoping to scoop up a decent subscription base. The problem is that unless there is something that makes it stand out, WoW has done it better. So, how is Warhammer better than WoW? How is it worse?

1. Graphics (WoW A+ because those graphics are good while forgiving with older/slower systems)
2. Content (WoW A+)
3. Game Play/Mechanics (WoW B)
4. PVP (Wow C+)/PVE (WoW B+)
5. Lore (WoW A)
6. Environment. WoW A+)
7. Dungeons (WoW A)
8. Quest Variety (WoW B)
9. Crafting (WoW B- not too hard)

phobic99
Jul 30, 2009, 04:30 PM
Most MMOs I've seen of this type are just trying to duplicate WoW in some form hoping to scoop up a decent subscription base. The problem is that unless there is something that makes it stand out, WoW has done it better. So, how is Warhammer better than WoW? How is it worse?

1. Graphics (WoW A+ because those graphics are good while forgiving with older/slower systems)
2. Content (WoW A+)
5. Lore (WoW A)
6. Environment. WoW A+)
7. Dungeons (WoW A)
8. Quest Variety (WoW B)

WoW also has about 4 more years of development time when compared to WAR. At any rate, Mythic had a pretty good foundation to build on with WAR but they totally dropped the ball IMO.

Nickdapimp
Jul 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
No, you’re not dreaming – WAR has come to the Mac! Now you can enjoy the glories of Realm vs. Realm combat on both Windows and Mac without going through Boot Camp or a new computer.

Read More @ http://angryrantnews.com/2009/07/30/breaking-news-warhammer-%20online-mac-beta/

Huntn
Jul 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Anyone know how much of a performance hit the game might take due to Cider? Not trying to stir the pot, just curious.

sesnir
Jul 30, 2009, 09:44 PM

2. Content (WoW A+)
5. Lore (WoW A)
6. Environment. WoW A+)
7. Dungeons (WoW A)
8. Quest Variety (WoW B)

I don't like Warhammer either, but your ratings are way off... especially for graphics... Graphics in WoW looked old before it was even released. I don't care for the Warhammer graphics either, but at least the textures are sharper.

aznguyen316
Jul 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm on a trial for WAR using boot camp so this is great news to me since I've been really enjoying it. I am subbed in WoW but I really like WAR's pvp, very casual but fun. I have a feeling the cider port will knock down the FPS quite a bit but that's fine since I lower mine for my MB anyway in terms of heat. The patcher is going oh so slowly though, so it probably won't be until Saturday I can give a mini review. Although someone over at the warhammer boards said it was definitely lower FPS than in boot camp. which was a given - but he said it was playable.

lunari
Jul 31, 2009, 06:03 AM
FINALLY!

I really don't need another MMO to suck up my time though, been thinking about renewing my WoW sub and now my WAR sub when the mac version is released

Matti
Jul 31, 2009, 07:26 AM
Downloading the trial client now.

I'm very sceptical about the Cider part though. My iMac with ATI 2600Pro really strugled when I tried the PC trial version, and I expect it to be unplayable under Cider.

aznguyen316
Jul 31, 2009, 07:42 AM
If you guys have this on bootcamp you can pretty much copy over all the .myp files and then let the patcher finish up. Cider part does suck though it's a bit slower than Boot camp for sure, but I'll have to really test it out later w/ some PvP etc.

DukeOliver
Jul 31, 2009, 12:43 PM
Got it running last night and didn't care for it. Left reviews for my build under the name Exaiphnes on their forums. Being a cider wrap, you know it won't run nearly as well as on PC side

Here's the bugs and feedback forum for the mac beta, check it out to see how others got it running using your same build
http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board?board.id=bug_mac

Here was the official post about the mac release. Some guy posted how to just transfer files from bootcamp over to mac side so you don't have to spend 6 hours DLing and updating
http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board/message?board.id=heraldnews&message.id=2128&query.id=102114#M2128

SebZen
Jul 31, 2009, 04:46 PM
Oh that's really cool. I'll definitely give it a try. I did like the beta.

But... CIDER!!! :{

After reading further about the performance it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Damn Cider, wish it didn't exist so that maybe they would spend some time converting it to a proper Mac format instead of milking money from people and having it run at terrible frames. Better have nothing than a pile of turd.

huck500
Jul 31, 2009, 05:26 PM
I don't like Warhammer either, but your ratings are way off... especially for graphics... Graphics in WoW looked old before it was even released. I don't care for the Warhammer graphics either, but at least the textures are sharper.

I think people have different ways of evaluating graphics... I look at design, color, and animation primarily, I don't care much about texture sharpness. Blizzard has some great design, and their character animations are better than any MMO I've played.

Also, I can run WoW with settings almost maxed in Bootcamp, and it looks much better that what I had to use to run WAR, textures and all.

To me, WAR was just a re-hash of WoW, down to the Blood Elf architecture in the dwarf starting area. I'm ready for something new, and WAR isn't it.

Matti
Jul 31, 2009, 05:42 PM
Sooo frustrating download.

First it was really slow. Took about 12h to reach 2,9 gigs out of 5,9, and I got 24M connection. Now it seems to be stuck at that 2,9 gigs.

I think I'm gonna give up.

To me, WAR was just a re-hash of WoW, down to the Blood Elf architecture in the dwarf starting area. I'm ready for something new, and WAR isn't it.
Actually Warcraft universe is a clone of Warhammer. Blizzard designed the first Warcraft game, way back few million years ago, to be a Warhammer computer game, but there was a quite confusing licensing mixup. Due to that, Blizzard renamed the game from Warhammer to Warcraft, and the rest is history. They kept the design otherwise same, and that's why Warhammer and Warcraft universerses and graphics look similar.

Signal-11
Jul 31, 2009, 06:18 PM
Actually Warcraft universe is a clone of Warhammer. Blizzard designed the first Warcraft game, way back few million years ago, to be a Warhammer computer game, but there was a quite confusing licensing mixup. Due to that, Blizzard renamed the game from Warhammer to Warcraft, and the rest is history. They kept the design otherwise same, and that's why Warhammer and Warcraft universerses and graphics look similar.

My right eye twitches a little every time I hear someone say that Warhammer is a ripoff of Warcraft.

huck500
Jul 31, 2009, 06:34 PM
My right eye twitches a little every time I hear someone say that Warhammer is a ripoff of Warcraft.

Fine, as an IP Warhammer was first, but the MMO that they eventually made out of it is a rehash of a 5-year-old game that was originally based on the Warhammer IP.

I'm surprised the Warhammer people didn't sue... because they invented elves and dwarves... right?:rolleyes:

edit: I wonder how the Warhammer people feel about their decision to axe the Blizzard Warhammer game, if that's how it went down.

Signal-11
Jul 31, 2009, 06:47 PM
Fine, as an IP Warhammer was first, but the MMO that they eventually made out of it is a rehash of a 5-year-old game that was originally based on the Warhammer IP.

I'm surprised the Warhammer people didn't sue... because they invented elves and dwarves... right?:rolleyes:

edit: I wonder how the Warhammer people feel about their decision to axe the Blizzard Warhammer game, if that's how it went down.

Don't try to pull a reductio ad absurdum just because you don't have a good argument why Warhammer isn't a ripoff of Warcraft.

Matti
Jul 31, 2009, 06:48 PM
because they invented elves and dwarves... right?:rolleyes:

Warhammer obviously loans heavily from western fantasy mythology in general, and especially from Tolkiens interpretation of it. Then again, that could be said about pretty much all contemporary western fantasy.

However, Warhemmer universe had some unique features (green skinned orcs, making humour by owerblowing some of the cliches of western fanstasy like bleeding heart elfs, etc). Blizzard tried to make an Warhammer game, and flatout copied Warhammer universe. I'm not a fanboy either way, and as such don't really care. Objectively looking though, it's pretty silly to see all these teenage WOW fanbois calling Warhammer ripping off Warcraft.

I'm surprised the Warhammer people didn't sue...
Well this was mid/late 80's. Warhammer was table top miniature/dice RPG company. Their turnover at the time was propably bigger than Blizzard's, but still pretty miniscule. It was also time when the current global economy was still at infancy. I think it was way too big financial risk for a small british company to sue an american company, especially when it would have meant possible very risky and expensive litigation at american courts (scary even today for a small european company, let alone 20 years ago). Add to that, at the time computer games were a very small industry.

EDIT: Fixed some typos. Indo-European languages are a bitch to a brain programed for finno-ugric languages.

Gunga Din
Jul 31, 2009, 09:15 PM
I've been playing Warhammer Online since BETA on my PC. Its a nice game with PVE and PVP aspects. Enough of both to keep u occupied.

If you choose to play a core server, I recommend Iron Rock. Its the most balanced in terms of Destruction vs Order (better for PVP).

If anyone has any questions about the game, feel free to send me a PM. I'm downloading the Mac Beta Client tonight to help with the testing.

Cheers.

One more thing, i have a guild started but its been inactive for months. I just have a few Alts in it to keep it listed. If anyone is interested and your new to the game, just contact me. I'd be happy to take in all new Mac players. Kind of like a Macrumors guild lol.

Huntn
Aug 1, 2009, 02:20 PM

That's ok. I gave Wow high marks for graphics and mentioned as I did it, specifically because Northrend is beautiful and the game is forgiving with older hardware. I'm happy to admit however, that might not be a good enough reason to give it high graphic marks if you are judging graphics for graphics sake and segregating it from performance. :)

However, Warhemmer universe had some unique features (green skinned orcs, making humour by owerblowing some of the cliches of western fanstasy like bleeding heart elfs, etc). Blizzard tried to make an Warhammer game, and flatout copied Warhammer universe. I'm not a fanboy either way, and as such don't really care. Objectively looking though, it's pretty silly to see all these teenage WOW fanbois calling Warhammer ripping off Warcraft.

As Tolkien created or at least popularized the fantasy world of orcs, goblins, fairies, and elfs back in the 1930's, it would be hard to say that Warhammer and Warcraft are copies of each other, but more accurately they are copies of the The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings? I would think in any lawsuit, it would come down to "lore" and knowing nothing of Warhammer, I'd have to wonder are there any similarities in the two franchise's background stories?

BTW, I think the term "Hobbit" is protected intellectual property, but fairys, elfs, etc, have been around since forever handed down in folk lore and could not be protected in such a manner. But specific lore and places, as created by Blizzard or Warhammer, I'm sure is protected.

PurpleCliff
Aug 2, 2009, 05:38 AM
Mac beta client free trial download is at about 50% ... I'm looking forward to trying the game, and I'll post what I think here.
I've always been watching WAR, so much interesting stuff in it. The Mac client pushed me over the edge!! :D

davwin
Aug 2, 2009, 09:41 AM
Per the WAR boards you can copy the MYP files from your Windows Warhammer install over for the Mac install to speed up the install/patching process. By defaut these should be in the main Warhammer Online folder and on Mac they should be under: C_Drive > Warhammer Online folder within the Transgaming > Resources Folder when you Rt click on the WAR application and click on Show Contents.

Warning though - this is still very beta :/

Signal-11
Aug 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
As Tolkien created or at least popularized the fantasy world of orcs, goblins, fairies, and elfs back in the 1930's, it would be hard to say that Warhammer and Warcraft are copies of each other, but more accurately they are copies of the The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings? I would think in any lawsuit, it would come down to "lore" and knowing nothing of Warhammer, I'd have to wonder are there any similarities in the two franchise's background stories?

I don't think anyone's saying that Warcraft is a Warhammer ripoff. The one thing that's definitely true is that Warhammer is not a Warcraft ripoff.

Rhey draw from the same source. Obviously.

neilg
Aug 2, 2009, 12:04 PM
Not far in. Graphics are nice - more sophisticated than WoW - but I'm less impressed by the animation - I think Blizzard are one of the best animators around, a much under-estimated part of game design - their characters have proper weight and fluidity...
Missing the humour of WoW, too, though maybe that turns up later.
All in all though - nicely involving and feels like a proper world.
Stolid.

mongrol
Aug 2, 2009, 05:24 PM
Oh that's really cool. I'll definitely give it a try. I did like the beta.

But... CIDER!!! :{

After reading further about the performance it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Damn Cider, wish it didn't exist so that maybe they would spend some time converting it to a proper Mac format instead of milking money from people and having it run at terrible frames. Better have nothing than a pile of turd.

It's quite simple. If no one buys Cider games, Cider won't exist. Stop supporting companies using Cider and vote with your wallet.

aznguyen316
Aug 2, 2009, 06:04 PM
It's quite simple. If no one buys Cider games, Cider won't exist. Stop supporting companies using Cider and vote with your wallet.

The thing with this certain port is that you don't really buy a cider version of warhammer, you buy the regular PC retail and then you are able to use that key to just simply download the cider version. Which is nice to have access to both PC/Mac clients like blizzard games but cider sucks lol.

Signal-11
Aug 2, 2009, 06:24 PM

What most of you anti-Cider guys are missing is that without Cider, even fewer games would be ported because a proper port is a lot of work.

I'd love me some 100% ported, OS X native games, but the reality is that it ain't gonna happen.

mongrol
Aug 3, 2009, 12:42 AM
What most of you anti-Cider guys are missing is that without Cider, even fewer games would be ported because a proper port is a lot of work.

I'd love me some 100% ported, OS X native games, but the reality is that it ain't gonna happen.

The reality is there would be slightly more native ports but the overall number of ports would be lower. Those who only purchase native ports would actually have more choice.

Signal-11
Aug 3, 2009, 01:07 AM
The reality is there would be slightly more native ports but the overall number of ports would be lower. Those who only purchase native ports would actually have more choice.

I think various Communist Parties would have loved you back in 1967. Less choice is more choice! Can't fail with a slogan like that.

colocolo
Aug 3, 2009, 01:12 AM

I'd much rather have 100 games running at 25 fps than 40 games running at 50fps (or higher settings, or whatever makes the analogy work for you).
So bottom line, I'm all for Cider ports in the current scenario.

PurpleCliff
Aug 3, 2009, 02:26 AM
I MUCH prefer Cider ports to nothing.
The new WAR port is actually running pretty well for me ... and it's still in beta remember. Plus it'll be sped up with the new features in Slow Leopard, right?

sinser
Aug 3, 2009, 03:02 AM
I don't care about WAR, WOW is time consuming enough for me. However, WAR, to me, looks like a complete ripoff. Even the website is exactly the same than that of WOW.

WOW graphics are excellent IMO, I couldn't care less for edge cutting sharpness and prefer color and fantasy instead. Also a big fan of all Blizzard's music.

PurpleCliff
Aug 3, 2009, 03:19 AM
I don't care about WAR, WOW is time consuming enough for me. However, WAR, to me, looks like a complete ripoff. Even the website is exactly the same than that of WOW.

WOW graphics are excellent IMO, I couldn't care less for edge cutting sharpness and prefer color and fantasy instead. Also a big fan of all Blizzard's music.

Personally I feel like WAR is like WoW 1.5 ... the atmosphere is epic, the PvP matters, it looks awesome, and the whole soundtrack is of movie quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJ3e_HR9Bk
I like WoW, always have, but WAR is just much more exciting to me :D

daskindt
Aug 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
Not far in. Graphics are nice - more sophisticated than WoW - but I'm less impressed by the animation - I think Blizzard are one of the best animators around, a much under-estimated part of game design - their characters have proper weight and fluidity...
Missing the humour of WoW, too, though maybe that turns up later.
All in all though - nicely involving and feels like a proper world.
Stolid.

There is a lot of humor, sometimes dark humor, in Warhammer.

In game, you'll see the sense of humor most if you play the Greenskins. The Greenskins are the most brutal of the races, but they're also the funniest by far. Very primitive and simple.

The quests, emotes, animations are all very funny, especially for goblins.

Playing either side of the Greenskin/Dwarf pairing will give you a better glimpse of the humorous side of WAR.

Miharu
Aug 16, 2009, 05:17 PM
Still nothing about the EU client...

Sambo110
Aug 16, 2009, 06:53 PM
If there is a trial, I can almost guarantee I will play it.

Huntn
Aug 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that Warcraft is a Warhammer ripoff.

Matti did. :) See the quoted part of the my previous reply.

Huntn
Aug 17, 2009, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately most/all ports are compromises. Something is going to be degraded. IMO if you are any where close to being a serious gamer with an Intel Mac, go with BootCamp/XP. The primary exception to that for myself is WoW.

aznguyen316
Aug 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately most/all ports are compromises. Something is going to be degraded. IMO if you are any where close to being a serious gamer with an Intel Mac, go with BootCamp/XP. The primary exception to that for myself is WoW.

agreed that is my main exception.. well I do play Peggle via Mac and in WoW lol

PowerGamerX
Aug 17, 2009, 10:57 PM
My simple reaction...

NO POWERPC SUPPORT :eek::confused:
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sambo110
Aug 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
I've got the program that downloads WAR, but how big is the beta does anyone know? I'm guessing it's the size of the full game plus all patches?

lannister80
Aug 18, 2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that Warcraft is a Warhammer ripoff. The one thing that's definitely true is that Warhammer is not a Warcraft ripoff.

Rhey draw from the same source. Obviously.
OK, Warhammer Age of Reckoning is a ripoff of World of Warcraft. Happy?

Plus I love how it took them, what, 10 months to come out with a Cider port? I've played unofficial Cider ports that were released not too long after the PC game was, and those were done by a few enterprising amateurs...

lannister80
Aug 18, 2009, 03:17 PM

Yes, and there would be more original, Mac-only games. But since deploying a Cider version of a game is "easy", all we'll ever get are 2nd-rate ports.

6oz fillet minion vs 2lbs of hamburger

Signal-11
Aug 18, 2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, and there would be more original, Mac-only games. But since deploying a Cider version of a game is "easy", all we'll ever get are 2nd-rate ports.

6oz fillet minion vs 2lbs of hamburger

I don't think so. You guys who think there would be original Mac games even approaching the scale of the high quality indy studios need to share your bud, because that's some good smoke.

It simply doesn't work that way.

davwin
Aug 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
I've got the program that downloads WAR, but how big is the beta does anyone know? I'm guessing it's the size of the full game plus all patches?

If I remember right WAR was 10.8GB after fully patched - I uninstalled it shortly after I downloaded it though. I've played it for some time on the Windows side and I would recommend that you do the same if interested in this game. It is PvP (RvR) heavy so rendering and responsiveness are important and the Cider port is simply slower on the same hardware than running the client under Windows natively.

iPapa
Aug 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
Finally the WAR Mac client is heading for a European release. According to an official forum post earlier today, the Mac client will be available in Europe this Friday.

With this in mind: Any Mac gamers in Europe reading this and who are either new to WAR and now wants to give it a try, or anyone who are already playing on a Windows partition but will grab this chance to play natively on OS X? If so, are here enough Mac users to get going a brand new Mac guild in Europe? A similar post to this has been posted on the official WAR Europe forums, please continue the discussion there if interested.

Miharu
Aug 28, 2009, 08:03 AM
Funny how they are making fun of potential new customers by saying we only have 1 mouse button, I know it's a harmless joke but it's simply not true and nothing makes me rage more than people who say "lol mac u only have 1 button mouse lolol"

iPapa
Aug 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yes... I noticed this too. The European Warhammer Online website actually says:

"Are you one of those people that own a slender, stylish computer with an Apple on the back and only one mouse button? Then we have great news for you"

Which might leave many of us out in the cold. My Mac is not slender. It is a Mac Pro. Huge beast. No Apple logo on the back. The mouse has two buttons, as do all new Apple mice these days..

Syonidism
Sep 2, 2009, 03:39 PM
no

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 2, 2009, 03:46 PM
"Are you one of those people that own a slender, stylish computer with an Apple on the back and only one mouse button? Then we have great news for you"

Good to know - makes me actually want to just give them the finger and not even waste my time, a second time, playing their game.

I had such high hopes for WAR, but it played so awfully on my PC that I quit. I then heard it was coming to Mac, but found out it was a CIDER port, and held off. Now after seeing their, what I read as insulting, commentary to mac users - I won't even bother.

SebZen
Sep 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
Good to know - makes me actually want to just give them the finger and not even waste my time, a second time, playing their game.

I had such high hopes for WAR, but it played so awfully on my PC that I quit. I then heard it was coming to Mac, but found out it was a CIDER port, and held off. Now after seeing their, what I read as insulting, commentary to mac users - I won't even bother.
Oh jeez... someone can't take a joke. Not like they cursed your mother to hell

apfhex
Sep 4, 2009, 02:00 PM
My Mac is not slender. It is a Mac Pro. Huge beast. No Apple logo on the back. The mouse has two buttons, as do all new Apple mice these days.
Isn't the Mighty Mouse actually 4 buttons? :D

Not that I had much interest in WAR in the first place (did get to play it a teeny bit during the open beta), but their attitude towards the Mac is almost enough reason in itself to not play. Blizzard OTOH actually cares about its Mac user base and have very good support in general.

p.s. It's not about "oh noes they insulted my Mac, my preciousssssssss." It's about wanting the developer to CARE about and provide good support for the platform you're playing their game on, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 4, 2009, 02:20 PM
Oh jeez... someone can't take a joke. Not like they cursed your mother to hell
Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

It goes a long way to show their attitude towards mac gamers in general, and if I already had issues with them on the PC side, where they offer native support, I would imagine this kind of an attitude coupled with the CIDER port will not give a better experience. I was willing to give it a shot, but why would I leave a game that has actual Mac support and treats their Mac based users no different than their PC using counterparts to gamble on this game that is a port of the PC version and has a developer that doesn't, on the surface, appear to take Macs seriously?

There are better ways to go about trying to acquire new users (or re-acquiring ex-users as the case may be).

Isn't the Mighty Mouse actually 4 buttons? :D

Not that I had much interest in WAR in the first place (did get to play it a teeny bit during the open beta), but their attitude towards the Mac is almost enough reason in itself to not play. Blizzard OTOH actually cares about its Mac user base and have very good support in general.

p.s. It's not about "oh noes they insulted my Mac, my preciousssssssss." It's about wanting the developer to CARE about and provide good support for the platform you're playing their game on, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well said!

I'd also like to point out that I use a 7 button mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=US,EN) with my Mac :P.

Miharu
Sep 5, 2009, 05:32 PM
Oh well. I tried the beta version out a little, I have to say that it's been around six months since I last tried this game on PC, and it still feels the same. Enemy animations are terrible, almost non-existent. I have all settings on max, player animations are decent but all monsters and NPC's have around 3 frames of animation in idle and combat.

Just start a high elf character and do the early quest where you shoot down those succubus-type demons. They simply disappear out of the game in the air when they are hit instead of you seeing them die and fall down. I don't know how it could be any more half-assed.

I had most fun trying some pvp scenario, but in reality it didn't feel any different than say, a game of WSG in WoW. Just a lot less detailed and more chaotic. The Lore Book addition is interesting as well, as I always read most of the lore in WoW and other games from wikis related to them.