Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Hi everyone. I am looking for a place that will rent a DSLR body and Lens. I've looked online at Borrowlenses.com and they seem to have good prices, but I'm trying to find a local shop for comparison (and convenience), but I'd take suggestions as to other online shops as well. (Like I said, I've done the google search, and come up with a few places, but just looking for a little more help).

I live in Seattle, WA, USA, for reference.

I'm looking to rent a Nikon D90 and Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR IF-ED for my wife for a trip we are taking. She was in photography school before we moved, and she really wants a D90. She has made comments that she'd love to get it before the trip, but we just can't spend 1k+ on a camera right now. But we could probably swing a few hundred bucks to rent one (Borrowlenses has it for $200 for a 10-day rental, including insurance).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Since we are probably going to be taking pictures of people (not necessarily scenery) should we go with the 18-70mm instead?

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Have you tried to get in touch with any of the local places to see if they rent bodies and lenses? I would tell you to probably go with a local shop if they do since you have a local contact as opposed to someone who knows where – which is not to say that the rental company you mention is bad, just that I would rather deal with someone local.

In terms of the money side of it, I know that you said it’s going to be tough to put down $1K right now; however, if you are investing $300 - $400 possibly more in renting a body and lens(es), it might be worth it for you to hold off on it or pull some money together. It would seem a waste to me to pay that much to rent equipment for 10 days only to turn around a few weeks or months later and have to pay that again to buy the equipment.

In terms of the lenses, I’m a lifelong Canon shooter so I’ll let the Nikon shooters guide you in a better direction in terms of renting/buying lenses for what you need. One thing you’ll need to figure out though is whether you are planning on shooting landscapes, detail shorts (e.g. leaves, flowers, bugs), portraits, or all the above.

mcb13

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
California

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have heard good things about Lensrentals.com I have never personally used a rental shop before though.

Personally, I would advise against renting a completely new setup for a vacation (unless you rent it a week early to get used to it). You will spend much of your vacation time fiddling with the camera and figuring out how to take great pictures with it. If you had a body you were used to and just renting a lens, I'd say go for it, but a completely new setup can take a lot of time away from your vacation.

If you avoid the rental, you are already almost a quarter of the way towards the purchase. Normally I recommend rentals to people when they need a lens or body that they won't use often. If they are planning on using it a lot in the future, I recommend saving and buying. These are just my opinions and obviously everybody has different priorities though. Have fun and good luck.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for the replies. A 10-day rental for the body and a lens is only going to cost about $200 from Borrowlenses (give or take a little, depending on the lens). If it were going to be much more, I would definitely just forget it and save the money to put towards the camera. I've thought about the cost of renting vs saving and buying, but I'd really like to do something nice for my wife.

With regards to learning a new setup, she's shot several events with a d60, and the d90, while more advanced, is going to be similar. She goes to the camera stores and plays with the D90 all the time (kinda like I do at the Apple store), so I'm really not too concerned with her being able to use it. It's not like we're going to Rome or Paris or something, otherwise, I'd be inclined to agree with you. We are going back home for a week to see family and friends.

Just thought about it, I could probably get away with renting the d60. It's about half as much to rent. I could do a 2-week rental for $145 with the d60 and the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you were referring to the price of an individual piece of the package (e.g. a lens or body) when you were talking about the $200. :)

Do you think the 18-70 is going to do what you need it to or are you going to need a bigger lineup of lenses? If the former is true, I would probably say $200 isn’t that bad – although I would still rather put it towards buying a package myself – and I would go for it maybe a few days before you all leave so she can play around with the settings as others mentioned above.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you were referring to the price of an individual piece of the package (e.g. a lens or body) when you were talking about the $200. :)

Do you think the 18-70 is going to do what you need it to or are you going to need a bigger lineup of lenses? If the former is true, I would probably say $200 isn’t that bad – although I would still rather put it towards buying a package myself – and I would go for it maybe a few days before you all leave so she can play around with the settings as others mentioned above.

It's fine. She's used to using a 50mm prime on her AE-1 and a Sony P&S. Like I said, I can't imagine a situation where we are going to need a large telephoto lens (really, the 55-200 was overkill).

In all reality, the P&S would do just fine, but I'd like to do something special for my wife.

Just looked at your website... awesome pics, especially at the OBX. My wife's family is from NC, and she was born in Dunn. I'm a GA boy. We hope to go the Aquarium when we're in Atlanta, too.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Just looked at your website... awesome pics, especially at the OBX. My wife's family is from NC, and she was born in Dunn. I'm a GA boy. We hope to go the Aquarium when we're in Atlanta, too.

Thank you for the compliments! Some of those OBX pics are actually being featured in this year’s Official Tourism Guide for the Outer Banks. It will be interesting to see which ones they choose – I submitted around ten different ones.

You definitely need to check out the Georgia Aquarium, my wife and I are aquarium buffs and we’ve traveled throughout the US and even over to Mexico to visit different aquariums – it’s one of those funny things we both enjoy! The Georgia Aquarium though, BY FAR, is the best aquarium we’ve visited and we’ve been there three times and will probably be going in the next year or so when they open their dolphin exhibit. One thing I would recommend though is doing the Behind the Scenes Tour – it’s a little pricey, I want to say it was around $50-$60 in addition to the tickets – but it was well worth it because you got to see everything that ran the aquarium plus get close up to the animals at the top of the tanks. I very badly want to swim with the whale sharks in the tank but I understand they are booked for the next few years, ah well what are you going to do? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.