Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I've seen a tremendous amount of conflicting information on this, so I'm turing to the experts here:

I dd'ed my ATV drive to an image(s?) on my HD. I then dd'ed them back onto a 250 (grrr, 320s came out two weeks later...). However, I have a 35 GB Media folder, and every attempt to fix this that I've tried has failed.

I keep poking about on the 'net, and see tantalizing hints that Disk Utility can do the deed. I seem to recall trying at one point and it didn't work. Dragging the line down into the dead area didn't do anything.

So what's the story? Can Disk Util expand an existing partition into the empty space? If not, does deleting Media and setting it up again do it? Is there some easy trick to solving this problem that uses only Disk Util?

Maury

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Then to answer the OP's question, Disk Utility can resize partitions when the drive has a GUID partition table.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I've seen a tremendous amount of conflicting information on this, so I'm turing to the experts here:

I dd'ed my ATV drive to an image(s?) on my HD. I then dd'ed them back onto a 250 (grrr, 320s came out two weeks later...). However, I have a 35 GB Media folder, and every attempt to fix this that I've tried has failed.

I keep poking about on the 'net, and see tantalizing hints that Disk Utility can do the deed. I seem to recall trying at one point and it didn't work. Dragging the line down into the dead area didn't do anything.

So what's the story? Can Disk Util expand an existing partition into the empty space? If not, does deleting Media and setting it up again do it? Is there some easy trick to solving this problem that uses only Disk Util?

Maury

here's what you need to do

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
here's what you need to do

This methodology DOES NOT WORK, at least on my machine.

When I tried the lengthy version, every time I tried to re-create the Media partition, gpt would ruin the partition table and the disk would fail to mount from then on. A couple of people mention something like this in passing, but there's absolutely zero detail.

So then I tried the Simple Alternative Method, which basically says you dd it off, back on, and then run Factory Restore. This does not work either, it leaves the Media partition at it's original size.

So here I am.

Maury

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I know bootcamp can increase that particular partition. I get the feeling normal disk utility my reformat though.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
I second Cave Man. Just use ipartition. Yes it's $50, but it is literally dragging a slide bar and hitting GO and will work for the ATV. Or you could bang your head against a wall some more.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Correct, the instructions on awkwardtv do not work properly on leopard.

You do not need iPartition. I currently have an app in testing that should do it properly for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.