Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeppelinpage4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I used to have an iPod Nano sometime around 2005 but stopped using it. Though I continued to use iTunes quite regularly since then, however with the exception of some updates from apple it's basically the same old iTunes account.

Only now the problem is I got an iTouch and when I plug it into the computer nothing happens with iTunes. I got a new laptop recently and downloaded the latest iTunes online and the iTouch worked just fine with that. However all of my music is still on the old iTunes from my desktop and I don't know how to get it onto my iTouch.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated as I really need to get all this music to college with me in the fall.

zeppelinpage4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
^Not yet but I want to figure out how to do that through iTunes.

The iTunes I am using now is probably almost 4 years old, I think I updated it most recently about a year ago but stopped doing the updates after that. It has been working perfectly fine and I had no plans to get an iPod anytime soon so it was just being used as a music player for the last two years.

I went to the top and clicked help > check for updates
But it just takes me to the iTunes 8 download page on the Mac website.

So then if I download iTunes 8 I should be okay? What will happen to the older iTunes I am using now once I download iTunes 8? Will it still work and will all the music automatically go to the new iTunes 8?

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
^Not yet but I want to figure out how to do that through iTunes.

The iTunes I am using now is probably almost 4 years old, I think I updated it most recently about a year ago but stopped doing the updates after that. It has been working perfectly fine and I had no plans to get an iPod anytime soon so it was just being used as a music player for the last two years.

I went to the top and clicked help > check for updates
But it just takes me to the iTunes 8 download page on the Mac website.

So then if I download iTunes 8 I should be okay? What will happen to the older iTunes I am using now once I download iTunes 8? Will it still work and will all the music automatically go to the new iTunes 8?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

zeppelinpage4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
^Thanks for the link that helped a lot.

I have the library on my external hard drive but now how do I get it onto my new iTunes 8 on the new computer?

I tried moving the iTunes library from my external hard drive to my music folder but when I open iTunes nothing happens. It's just blank and none of the songs even show up. It's on my new laptop but iTunes isn't recognizing it.

zeppelinpage4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Good news guys, it was successfully transferred and my iTouch is working like a charm with all the music. =]

THanks a ton for the help. I have some issues with my original iTunes music not playing on my desktop but I think I messed up with the file location somewhere. The new computer and iTouch are running great though. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.