PDA

View Full Version : Want to Abolish Australian States? FREE Activist web support needed

eclipse
Jul 30, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

I hope this is not too inappropriate and is not viewed as spam? I know that there are a lot of great web developers here, many of you Australian, and am only putting out a help request for anyone that might already be quite interested in this cause.

The "Beyond Federation" group have a bunch of academics and Phd's in political theory ready with a bold new vision for a stronger, more democratic, more unified Australia, and yet they are not very web confident. I've been struggling to help them, and would gladly help do admin stuff once the basics were set up, but I'm terrified of backend and database management stuff.

As you can see, their home page hardly says "join our vibrant online community". :confused:

http://www.beyondfederation.org.au/

I've given it a go in SMF, but haven't really got the confidence to ask them to commit to it fully to develop their community in case something goes wrong with the database. I don't even know how to move this database from one server to another if my host goes out of business or something goes wrong!

http://beyondfederation.com/forum/index.php

Again, I'd only require your help in setting up and database emergencies.

I know Wordpress a bit and SMF or PHPBB forums "a bit" (enough to create new forums etc, ban troublesome members, some of that "operational stuff"). But I'm limited to quick installations using Fantastico, and grunting through BASIC CSS stuff takes me DAYS!

So I thought, why not ask around? There's bound to be one Aussie web developer cranky enough with the duplication and waste of the State governments here in Australia where setting up a Wordpress and SMF (or PHPBB) database for such a cause is an afternoon's play! (I'm banging my head against a brick wall!)

As I said, I don't know how to fix stuff if it breaks or to move the database to a new server. But once set up and designed, I can "fill in" the blog with all the pages of information and stuff that Dr Mark Drummond has collated, and not put you through all that.

Just the setup and database stuff, and moving to a new server in a crisis! (but hopefully Flexihosting will be around for many years yet).

Once the backend is done, I'd only contact you now and then if new tasks came up that I was unfamiliar with. I'd guide all the forum newbies through how to join, how to post to the forums, and all that! I'd not be asking you to moderate etc... unless you got really hooked into the movement and wanted to be a part of everything of course! ;)

My wife is a graphic designer (not web designer at all) and can help with images and logo's and visual graphic needs.

I've copied and pasted in their summary statements and goals below, and if you are interested could you please PM me your phone number and we'll get in touch? Cheers! :D:D

Dr Mark Drummond is the Convener for the group. After years of dialogue with his highly qualified colleagues Dr Drummond has developed the following mission statement for Beyond Federation.

Beyond Federation supports:

A system of government that is: democratic, understandable, accountable, just, equitable, affordable, efficient, stable yet flexible, and socially, environmentally and economically sustainable; functionally effective in areas such as the environment, health and education; and centralised and decentralised in an appropriate balance; and

The abolition of State governments; uniform national laws; a national government strengthened to be more responsive to the opportunities and needs of Australia as a whole and our global circumstances; and strengthened local government and sub-national governance structures that are close to and responsive to the opportunities and needs of people and communities.

How do do this?

Australia United:
A Unification Plan for Australia for the Period 2009 to 2020

I invite the honorable and learned member (Mr. Higgins) to consider this point: If the people of the smaller states are willing to adopt the type of government suggested by our Victorian friends, we can save the expense of ten Houses of Legislature and five Governors, and we can become a truly united people. But we have been sent here to frame a scheme of federation, not of amalgamation.

(Sir Richard Baker of South Australia, speaking at the Third Session of the National Australasian Convention, in Melbourne on 17 March 1898, as recorded on page 2482 of the official report)

The Australia United plan comprises objectives, outcomes and a five stage transition plan designed to achieve full Unification for Australia by the year 2020, as follows:

Reform Objectives

Unification (or amalgamation) of Commonwealth, State and Territory governments to achieve a strong National government with strengthened Local governments.

Outcomes

financial benefits of about $20 billion per annum in the public sector, $40 billion per annum in the private sector, and at least $50 billion (or about five per cent of GDP) across the Australian economy as a whole
improved democracy and government at national and local levels
no State or Territory governments
a seamless national economy
a seamless national approach to the environment
a national education system
a national health system
a single set of laws for the whole of Australia as part of a national system of law, order and safety
regional administration and cooperation not constrained by State and Territory borders

Five Stage Transition Plan

Stage 1: Foundation Laying (~ 2009 to 2013)

local government strengthened by constitutional recognition, functional empowerment and increased funding from the Commonwealth government
abolish State and Territory taxes
ongoing efforts to establish national health, education and legal systems (such as the efforts to establish the national curriculum, national occupational health and safety laws, and national registration systems for businesses, tradespeople and professionals)
explain to the public that financial benefits in the order of at least $50 billion per annum in 2009 dollar terms (or about five per cent of GDP) can be achieved across the economy overall under a two-tier government structure comprising national and local governments, but no State and Territory governments