Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Here

I have a 17" MBP but was trolling craigslist for something very portable. Came across this MBA post.

Seems to be a pretty decent deal for a rev.A.

Thoughts?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think if you want it as a secondary Mac, it may do the job. HOWEVER, I have seen these rev A MBAs for around $550 to $600 recently. Figure that the AppleCare is worth something, BUT... do you really want that MBA anyways?

I would say wait until the prices are more like netbook pricing or spend a little more and get ten times the Mac in a rev B/C MBA.

Definitely NOT worth anywhere near $725! At least not in my opinion. At $499 or so, it would be a nice secondary Mac... again that's my opinion. A rev B or C is more of a concern for someone wanting to use it as a primary Mac or use it heavily though.

Good luck.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
seems like a good price to me, dont let people scare you out of craigslist its fine unless ur looking in the naughty section

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I'd pick it up. That's a wonderful selling technique.

I know, right? The planned, scheduled price drops are genius!

I may just hold off. 1.5 yrs old. Uncertain how the battery has been treated, etc.

I was just checking into the deal. Sounds like I should troll around some more for a better deal. After all, I really don't need one...just a sucker for a deal.

Thanks!

fun173 Thanks for the comment about craigslist. I'm far from scared of it. I sold a car on craigslist to a Russian couple who didn't speak English and wrecked the car on the test drive.

...and it was my first craigslist post. What a fiasco that was. At least I sold the car.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I know, right? The planned, scheduled price drops are genius!

I may just hold off. 1.5 yrs old. Uncertain how the battery has been treated, etc.

I was just checking into the deal. Sounds like I should troll around some more for a better deal. After all, I really don't need one...just a sucker for a deal.

Thanks!

fun173 Thanks for the comment about craigslist. I'm far from scared of it. I sold a car on craigslist to a Russian couple who didn't speak English and wrecked the car on the test drive.

...and it was my first craigslist post. What a fiasco that was. At least I sold the car.

wow!! thats crazy i would have not known what to make of that situation but yeah at least you sold it :)

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
When you think about it, the price does seem kind of high for a rev a. I would email the person and offer them 600.00. I think that would be a fair number seeing the condition it is in. But when you think you could pick up a rev b with a SSD for 1200, I would do that instead. It's a FAR better machine. The SSD is super FAST! The best machine I have had.

Good luck

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
When you think about it, the price does seem kind of high for a rev a. I would email the person and offer them 600.00. I think that would be a fair number seeing the condition it is in. But when you think you could pick up a rev b with a SSD for 1200, I would do that instead. It's a FAR better machine. The SSD is super FAST! The best machine I have had.

Good luck

I think rev A owners are in price SHOCK when it comes time to sell. I see some people asking $1299 for a rev A with 80 GB HDD. They paid $1799 for it and don't understand. Then some SSD 64 GB rev A owners want $1799 for theirs... again in SHOCK and not understanding just how far the value had dropped as they paid $3099!!!

One of my friends finally upgraded from a rev A to rev C the other day, after being the last of many rev A owners to sellout and dump the rev A. He sold his rev A to his best friend's kid for $150 (who is 12). Funny thing to me was the kid didn't know if it was "powerful" enough for him... as it wouldn't play videos... the guy gave him $10 back for CoolBook! LMAO!

The guy refused to put CoolBook on it the whole time he owned it as "Apple would include it if it would help."

The kid used it for a few days and sold it... to a "friend!" He now owns a DELL that plays all his DVDs and BLURAY DISCS! Wonder how much he sold the MBA for??? I told the kid's dad that he has a bright future and to plan on sending him to business school... but the kid wants to be a artist...LMAO

TRUE STORY! LMAO whenever I think about it...

If a 12yr old sees more value in a Dell because it plays BluRay, that should tell Apple it needs to rethink its position on BluRay!

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA
Anyone wants my MBA Rev. A for $10? I want to sell it now cuz I might need to pay people to take my Air base on Scottsdale's story.:confused:

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
how about you just send it over my way! scottsdale thinks they are worthless, plus I need a second MBA for aesthetic reasons and the Rev. A sure would be fashionable :)

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
I'm currently selling mine in NJ(also craiglist), i have the Rev A, but with 1.8/64GB SSD.
all of my offers are for $700,

so i would offer $600

or you can buy mine....:D

gooddeal

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
PA
I just spent $120 for Applecare last month. It would be better if it has enough major problems in the future so that I can get a replacement...considering the resale price is so low...but I doubt I will have any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.