PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors on Macbook Air 2.1 Ghz

Gaprofitt
Jul 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi All,

Is it possible to run two monitors independently via a hardware device with the macbook air? I would like to do it with a device that works well but doesn't cost a fortune.

Thanks,

Greg

Scottsdale
Jul 31, 2009, 02:57 AM
I have read about some USB devices but they don't give very high resolution. Just do a search in the forum. Mostly people with MBPs do it, and in the past they had Express Card options that offered better resolution than the USB solutions.

In all honesty, the MBA and 9400m are definitely not optimal for such a setup. A Mac mini has built in capability and you can get a refurbished for $499. The newer ones have both mini display port and DVI. So they can run one 24" ACD and one older 23" ACD with DVI.

Good luck.

macboy4
Jul 31, 2009, 07:07 AM
I have read about some USB devices but they don't give very high resolution. Just do a search in the forum. Mostly people with MBPs do it, and in the past they had Express Card options that offered better resolution than the USB solutions.

In all honesty, the MBA and 9400m are definitely not optimal for such a setup. A Mac mini has built in capability and you can get a refurbished for $499. The newer ones have both mini display port and DVI. So they can run one 24" ACD and one older 23" ACD with DVI.

Good luck.

Hey Scottsdale, the Mini has the 9400M as well. I see that the MBA shares with the main memory, but the mini does not; is that the difference that makes the MBA "not optimal", or is there something else?

Gaprofitt
Jul 31, 2009, 07:24 AM
Great, thanks for the info. Does anyone know the max resolution for an external monitor, just a single one with the MBA? I may just go with one large monitor and just utilize spaces.

macboy4
Jul 31, 2009, 08:10 AM
Great, thanks for the info. Does anyone know the max resolution for an external monitor, just a single one with the MBA? I may just go with one large monitor and just utilize spaces.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Scottsdale
Jul 31, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Scottsdale, the Mini has the 9400M as well. I see that the MBA shares with the main memory, but the mini does not; is that the difference that makes the MBA "not optimal", or is there something else?

Port configurations and heat with throttling of GPU on the MBA is more of what I was referring to. I am well aware that both share the awesome 9400m GPU. That GPU is the saviour of the MBA and an incredible asset to Apple's current lineup.

Also, the Mac mini has TWO graphics ports... it's setup for DUAL display capabilities... but again not dual Mini display port displays... so only one 24" LED Apple ACD and an older or different model 23" display like Apple's prior model.

wing103
Oct 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hi, so end up did you suggest to get dual monitor hook up with your macbook air?
I want to do the same.

Sean Dempsey
Oct 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
dual thunderbolt displays.

rack it.

TheRealDamager
Oct 2, 2011, 09:56 PM
dual thunderbolt displays.

rack it.

I was under the impression that the TB chipset in the 2011 Air cannot drive 2 external TB displays.

BENJMNS
Oct 2, 2011, 10:38 PM
needs more juiceage

philxor
Oct 3, 2011, 07:17 PM
Dual thunderbolt doesn't work on the MBA. There are solutions like the Matrox dual head or if you just want a second monitor for simple tasks or real estate you can use a USB to VGA display adapter.