Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Hi all,

I don't think that there is a resolution for this problem right now, but I thought it was worth throwing it out there...

I use a Griffin Autopilot in my car (the hard wired version rather than the FM transmitter) which does not officially support the iPhone 3G. It works well enough with the iPhone, however, controlling the iPod exactly as it should.

Since Navigon brought out their navigation app I have been using it to direct me on the road. This works brilliantly since my iPhone is essentially wired into the car, though the GPS reception is poor because of where my Brodit mount is placed (I'm going to make a new bracket to fit at the base of the windscreen and hopefully route the Autopilot's cable through the windscreen's air vent to get around this issue).

The problem that I now face is that when I am using an application other than the iPod and I use the controls on the Autopilot my iPhone automatically opens the iPod, closing whatever was open before. I then have to close the iPod and reopen the other application, removing entirely the benefit of having the autopilot for tactile control of the iPhone.

Does anyone know if there is a simple way for me to stop the iPhone automatically opening the iPod app when it received a command from the Autopilot?

Thanks,

Rodden

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
With my 3GS and Autopilot, I can use the controls and not have it close whatever app is running (I only tested a few though). Maybe it's a problem only with Navigon/GPS apps?

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I know this dosent help, but thanks for sharing as I was going to buy an autopilot but its no good to me if its not compatible with navigon. Shame really as in combination with a windscreen mount would make a very nice in-car companion.

Might be worth contacting Navigon or Griffin to alert them of the issue if they are not already aware? I'd hope its something that could be sorted in a firmware update.

Keep us posted
icon14.gif

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
With my 3GS and Autopilot, I can use the controls and not have it close whatever app is running (I only tested a few though). Maybe it's a problem only with Navigon/GPS apps?

Hmm, is there any chance you could download the free navigon lite and see if the problem exists whilst using that? Its basicly a free version of navigon that lacks the active guidance.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I've had an iphone for over two years now, but I finally just bought an FM adapter. I had nothing for the car before (crazy I know). What pushed me to get one was purchasing Navigon, mainly for the power, but the tuner is a huge bonus and I'm going to use it all the time. I really don't know what I was thinking not getting one all this time since my Acura TSX has no external aux input through the dashboard.

I bought the following and it's an awesome combo used with 3GS:

Navigon
Griffin WindShield
Griffin iTrip AutoPilot

Everything works exactly as you would expect (hope) it would. Using the remote functions on the Griffin do not interrupt Navigon. The Navigon voice plays perfectly through the car speakers.

I've never had a GPS either, so this is really a killer setup for me with all devices in one. Everything so far has exceeded my expectations. The Windshield was very easy to setup and remove if needed. Both portrait and landscape mode works and of course the AutoPilot works seamlessly.

I highly recommend this combo!

* Edit: One thing I just did think of. The Windshield doesn't allow the use of a case. I had my original 1st gen iphone naked for two years and it looked brand new (never dropped once), but the shiny black plastic on the 3GS had me worried about scratches. I've been using the Griffin Reveal since day 1 on the 3GS (I hated cases before but really like this one). Since my only concern was scratches, I ordered the WrapSol material to cover the back. Should totally fill my needs, work in the Windshield and I can go semi naked (completely thin) again.

jclaydon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Just to hijack this thread abit. I'm thinking of getting the Griffin Autopilot for my 3G phone as I've got an aux in socket in the car. One question, if I'm not using the aux input on the stereo (eg listening to a cd), and I'm using navigation software on the phone, will the turn commands come out of the iphone speaker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.