Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
just ordered mine 5 minutes ago, wow thanks.
was looking for this.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
I bought an RS4 about 3 months ago. It's great for when you just want to carry your camera + lens with you, without lugging around an extra bag. You can access the camera very easily and the weight is well distributed making it easy to carry for a long time.

Cons:
1. uses tripod mount so if you want to use a tripod, you have to detach the strap from the camera
2. somewhat awkward for me to carry across 1 shoulder if im also carrying a camera bag across the other shoulder.

Just looked at their website about the RS5. Looks to bulky to me with too many compartments on the shoulder strap. If I was buying today, I would still get the RS4 over the RS5.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I bought an RS4 about 3 months ago. It's great for when you just want to carry your camera + lens with you, without lugging around an extra bag. You can access the camera very easily and the weight is well distributed making it easy to carry for a long time.

Cons:
1. uses tripod mount so if you want to use a tripod, you have to detach the strap from the camera
2. somewhat awkward for me to carry across 1 shoulder if im also carrying a camera bag across the other shoulder.

Just looked at their website about the RS5. Looks to bulky to me with too many compartments on the shoulder strap. If I was buying today, I would still get the RS4 over the RS5.

Good news for you, both #1 and #2 will be addressed in the near future.

The RS-5 is a lot bulkier and being honest, I'm still partial to the RS-1 with new hardware and some of the low profile prototype models. With that said, the RS-5 is a really cool set up... I can fit all my junk into it and leave my pockets totally open.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Highly recommended! Have the R-4...curious about the R-5. Getting pulled into event shooting which means I will most likely be getting another one and the CoupleR which would attach them at the back. If you are thinking about getting one spring for the ConnectR-2 fasteners (worth it--the original fastener can get snagged).

BlackRapid scored a winner here...some of their advertising is a bit over the top tho...go to their site and you will discover that the straps are made of a bomb-proof material.

I also own a pair of headphones (v-moda) that are wrapped in kevlar strands.

This means that if I am attacked by someone lobbing dinky bombs and shooting teeny-tiny bullets then I should survive.

What a relief...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope. I really do not trust my D3 and valuable (expensive) lenses to this thing, as I've seen too many stories of the R-Strap's failure.

I believe the issues with the R-Strap have since been remedied in the new R-5 and probably as early as the R-4.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I believe the issues with the R-Strap have since been remedied in the new R-5 and probably as early as the R-4.

That's correct.

Here's how it (unfortunately) went. ConnectR-1. Big black hook, little plastic thing to stop it from accidentally being bumped open. Plastic thing gets lost, cameras in peril.

ConnectR-2. Should have been the answer, but a factory decided that the loctite portion of the instructions was optional and there was a chance that the top pin could come out and drop a camera (it did happen, but not in the quantities that the internet would lead you to believe). Very large number of CR-2s recalled and replaced with correctly built pieces.

The current hooks are bomb proof and there hasn't been a single drop.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Just ordered the r5, i believe it has magnets instead of the velcro of past models, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

i will post after i get it and let you know how bulky it is.
i wont mind though, look forward to keeping my batteries and extra cards and phone on the strap where it's easy to get to vs keeping in my pocket and weighing my shorts down.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I think mine's an R2. At any rate, I love it. I'm just an amateur with a single body, but it makes the camera so much easier to carry on vacation, around town, etc. When you move, you don't have that big camera bouncing off your chest. love it, love it, love it.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I think I'll stick with what I've been using for many years, an Op-Tech strap......

For what its worth, I have and use the Op/Tech Pro loop. They're in totally different categories, and I'd say its worth a look. If you're ever in the bay area, you can borrow mine.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Very happy with the RS-4, but miss being able to set my D80 flat on a table... Still much happier with the strap not hanging from my neck:D look forward to seeing the fixes mentioned above.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
RS-5 just arrived.
The magnets are great!
The connector is sweet.
iphone fits great along with several cards and a battery too.

only thing i can suggest is maybe an extra magnet in the middle where the layers meet, other than that it's great.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Ummm...don't you work for the company? http://www.rphotographers.com/index.php

It's quite blatant that he works for the company and is using MacRumors for advertising. His first post he acts innocent and wonders who is using the strap (hint, hint, wink, wink). Then in subsequent posts he seems to know a little too much about the company to be a casual user. He should have come clean with a disclaimer on his first post, so now I don't want to buy cause I feel misled. Don't we have enough effin spam going around in email without having it sneak in here too?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
It's quite blatant that he works for the company and is using MacRumors for advertising. His first post he acts innocent and wonders who is using the strap (hint, hint, wink, wink). Then in subsequent posts he seems to know a little too much about the company to be a casual user. He should have come clean with a disclaimer on his first post, so now I don't want to buy cause I feel misled. Don't we have enough effin spam going around in email without having it sneak in here too?

Are you kidding? Everyone on this forum already has one. I'm not sellin' nothin :p

Its a sweet plan though. I am one of the most active participants on a website for 3 years, then BOOM! I start spamming for a company where I don't even work in sales and don't make a cent or see a benefit from people buying it (makes my job harder - more customer service questions).

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I am glad you posted about it. I hadn't heard of it before and it was what I was looking for.
If they delete the thread for spam or ban you for it I'll just leave the forum, your post was the most useful post I've seen yet in this forum.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
This is much more a poll than a sales pitch. Have the R4 attached to my D3 + expensive glass.

Drops and such? This is why I pay for insurance...
:D:D:D

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I have been very happy with my optech and E-1 handstrap combo! I have no need to try anything else.

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
I'd love an R-strap, as it looks perfect for casual shooting as well as quick access on actual shoots. I'm always throwing my neck strap over a shoulder when i'm out scouting, but don't like the slow draw factor. The R-Strap seems like the best of both worlds.

Now to justify the price... Hmm... wonder if i can get review copy for my site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.