Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Momjno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
My old Ipod recently failed (the flywheel stopped working and apparently that's not fixable), so I replaced it with a nano. I have many IHomes, "donuts," and car chargers that I used with my Ipod. Although the nano will play through the donuts and IHomes, it will not charge. Nor will it charge on my car charger. Is there any way to charge my Nano without sitting at my computer? Do I have to buy all new chargers, too? Are there special chargers for nanos? I am really disappointed that the Nano is not compatible with the other chargers.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I don't remember the specifics but a while ago (I think around when the iPhone was released) they changed something in the iPod's connection which means the new ones don't charge through older speakers etc

I have all "old" iPods so I don't know the specifics, but it is a hardware problem and so there isn't, I'm pretty sure, anything you can do about it.

Googling will bring up a far better explanation of what's going on.

You can always use a wallcharger (this is what I mainly use, I hate having to plug into a computer), the official Apple one is £20, but there are cheaper unofficial ones which work just as well.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The newest generation of iPods (and the iPhone 3G and 3GS) will only charge over USB. Many older 3rd Party devices used Firewire 12V instead of USB's 5V power. Older iPods would charge on both. So unless you use an older iPod you will have to replace all of your devices that charge.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.