PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mac off eBay

mattthemutt
Jun 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
I was looking at Macs on eBay and they are ridiculously cheap. Whats the catch and are there any possibilities that I won't get what it says and it will be D.O.A.?

Sun Baked
Jun 15, 2004, 09:44 PM
A little more info on ridiculously cheap and the machines listed at such prices...

FuzzyBallz
Jun 15, 2004, 09:45 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from too good to be true ebay deals. They're always scams. It's that simple.

arnette
Jun 15, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ditto.

I haven't been scammed, but I know many people who have. Good deals you see on Ebay are just too sweet to be true.

tekno_geek911
Jun 15, 2004, 10:00 PM
I bought all my Macs on eBay for good prices..Never had a problem.

g4cubed
Jun 15, 2004, 10:03 PM
I was looking at Macs on eBay and they are ridiculously cheap. Whats the catch and are there any possibilities that I won't get what it says and it will be D.O.A.?

As everyone else stated, watch out for the "to good to be true" ones.

Write and ask detailed question. See if they'll post more pics of angle or what you have a question on.

If you want you can even buy that added insurance protection that ebay offers.

Spend a little time and watch to see what the going rate for what you're looking for. It's a chance but for the most part people are pretty open and honest about things.

Happy hunting :D

ps: I purchased 4 with only one minor problem.

PowerMacMan
Jun 15, 2004, 10:04 PM

Provide the links of these "rediculously cheap" Macs... And we can all examine them... :)

nyprospect
Jun 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
there was a g5 2.0 1gb ram and 160 hd with a 23 display for alittle over 1k.yep that was a scam.check there feedback ask questions like "is this item available for pick up.Also see if the person selling or persons have a phone number where they can be reached.Otherwise be careful.

Amani
Jun 15, 2004, 10:29 PM
Ebay might be a good way to go, but what worked better for me was going online and putting an ad in my local MacUser group. I boughht a used iMac for my daughter and I was able to see it and try it out before I paid the money because the people I bought it from lived only 12 miles away.

I'm not sure I could purchase a used computer without trying it first.

jdbphd
Jun 16, 2004, 01:58 AM

Most of the ridiculously cheap Powermac deals say that they need "preapproval". When you get "preapproved", they email you and tell you that they are in Europe and that you should wire them the money through Western Union. If you do so, you will never see your money again (or a Mac).

The best deals I've seen for new Mac G5's are at Expercom.com. I just ordered a G5 Dual 2.0 with a 23" monitor and 3 years of Applecare for $3971 (and added 512 ram for $109). No tax (if you're outside of Utah) and no shipping charge.

boz2004
Jun 16, 2004, 08:39 AM
after my first mac (95) I have bought mine off of eBay... I've been happy with them and they've served me well... yes, watch out for scammers...I usually review the seller ratings... if anyone has too many unfounded/unexplained negatives, I go on to another seller... there is a seller I just bought from and he offers a 30 day warranty... he apparently refurbishes the machines and usually has a wide selection of G3s...the beige G3 I just got for my wife was clean, extremely well-packaged and he'd even installed a couple of additional parts I'd bought off him...

the seller's eBay name is rwwilson, I just checked and right now he's off on vacation and not back until after the 28th...