Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Hey guys,
I just have a quick question. I have the Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 9400M, and I wanted to know if I should use Windows 7 or Windows XP for gaming in Bootcamp. Is there any real difference besides memory usage? Any helpful answers would be appreciated!:)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Right now between XP and Vista I would say Vista.

Between XP and Windows 7, it is a no brainer, go with Windows 7.

End of story.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Right now between XP and Vista I would say Vista.

Between XP and Windows 7, it is a no brainer, go with Windows 7.

End of story.

why would you recommend vista over xp? vista is a dog. got it on two dells and after two days removed it and went back to xp. vista is deadware and will soon be history.
now between xp and 7 seven is so much faster. but you need to make sure your games will play on it.

DdMac679

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
United States
Well the only major difference is if you want to run games in Direct X 10 mode or not. Honestly you own a Mac for a reason so if you are going to throw Windows on it I would say XP. Windows 7 might be better than Vista (they say) but after Vista's history I wouldn't want to run out and get a new Windows OS till months after released to ensure patches and thorough gaming reviews.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Check my sig for what MB I'm using.

I ran TinyXP for a long time to run games and that ran perfectly well - ran games like Crysis, CoD4/CoD5, Fallout 3, L4D. Not all ran at highest settings but ran playably, with crysis being the toughest eeking out a 25-30 fps on lows and x600 resolution. I now am running Windows 7 (both RC and now currently RTM) and it runs games I've tested just as well! I am not playing those demanding games though, just Team Fortress 2, WoW, WAR, and Aion are games I've played w/ on Win7. I moved from XP to 7 b/c I am in Bootcamp a lot more and prefer the interface of Win7 over XP..

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It's a complete no-brainer: Windows 7.

I've been using the 64-Bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition RC for a week now on my company's notebook, and I can say that I really like it. It's fast and stable and very user friendly. Of course, just like any other platform, it can be improved, but Microsoft did a great job with this release. Windows 7 is a pleasure to use. Apple will have a hard time with this "new old" competition.
If only Windows 7 had something like Quick Look, there would be no reason left to use OS X anymore... ;)

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Thanks for all your replies! You all are very helpful! I already have Windows 7 RC installed and all of my games run great! I am impressed with my MacBook as well as 7! However, if anyone else thinks differently then let me know!:apple:

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
i've been wondering this pretty much since I got my mac (XP vs Vista) and the with win 7 (xp vs win 7)

The conclusion I came to with both choices so far has been XP.

Reason for me is 95%+ of the time I'm using OS X anyway but the few time I need to launch windows I want the most compatible version for what I'm running.

With my degree before I got the macbook I was running vista and had horrible compatibility issues with some software which made things more difficult than they needed to be.... now my degree is almost at an end I'm asking myself the question again but so far still swaying towards XP but it is a close call. Maybe after SP1 is out for windows 7 I may take the plunge :)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
why would you recommend vista over xp? vista is a dog. got it on two dells and after two days removed it and went back to xp. vista is deadware and will soon be history.
now between xp and 7 seven is so much faster. but you need to make sure your games will play on it.

Pre-installed Dells? What was this? 2 years ago? Vista has improved a lot since then, also you need more than 2 days to get a feel of a system, OSX also felt pretty crappy to me compared to OS 9 at first but after some updates and getting used to the system, I've never looked back.

I've been using Vista since it was released a few years back, it had some issues at first but now it's a much better system than XP, much more secure, more user-friendly, more stable and very fast.

Windows 7 is pretty much an incremental upgrade to Vista by the way, I get the feeling you haven't even used 7.

XP is dead, go with Windows 7. The compatibility nag is BS, Vista now has drivers for everything and writing drivers for Win7 is very easy if you can already write a Vista driver; there's a user on AnandTech that runs about 400 games (including relics like X-Com and other old games) perfectly on Vista 64-bit. There are already tons of tests that show gaming on Win7 is pretty reliable which is not surprising considering Win7 is still Vista at it's core, the transition from Vista to 7 is similar to the 2000-XP transition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.