PDA

View Full Version : nVidia graphics re-install. in bootbamp for macbook unibody

cloudsymph
Aug 1, 2009, 01:36 AM
hey there everyone. first off this is for my macbook unibody graph card = 9400m 256 mb-mem.

i 've been planning to re-install my 9m series graphics card on my bootcamp side of things. as my gpu's been acting up a bit. so the driver i've got is from the nvidia site.

but anyways i was just wondering if i install the one i got from the nvidia site, would that affect my mac side at all. and also does anyone know if i should actually use the driver i got from nvidia's site.?

so here are the questions i would like to be answered if possible:

1. will reinstalling the drivers on bootcamp affect my mac side.
2. will it affect the functions to apples extra stuff on boot camp (such as back lighting, backlit keys, the fn keys etc etc.
3. does apple provide a download for their customised updated drivers
and most importantly
4. do you recommend me doing this or not.

thanks to everyone in advance.

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 1, 2009, 12:11 PM
The driver you install in windows won't affect your OS X side. Apple does not provide a special driver pack. Your best bet for the Windows side is either what's on the OS X DVD for BootCamp or one of the nVidia drivers.

rgarjr
Aug 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
If you update the drivers using either Windows Update or NVIDIA, chances are you may lose the ability to dim the screen.

Bill Gates
Aug 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
If you update the drivers using either Windows Update or NVIDIA, chances are you may lose the ability to dim the screen.
Doubtful. The screen dimming is completely independent of the graphics driver.

jfriedman8
Aug 1, 2009, 05:04 PM
Just from my experience, the Windows support for Mac's isnt great. Good luck finding a fix. I had some graphics issues with my MBP in windows, but a fresh install seemed to fix everything.

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 1, 2009, 07:31 PM

I didn't have this issue...

cloudsymph
Aug 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
cool thanks for your help everyone. i'll do an install sometime soon.

one more thing. when i remove my driver for my graphics card should i do a driver cleaner. what i mean by that is remove the driver via disk management. then restart in use a program such as driver-cleaner professional to remove whatever is left of my driver. then install my new driver.

or should that not matter.???

again thanks for the replies and tanks in advance for the next replies.

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 2, 2009, 02:15 PM
I've never had to do anything like that. When I upgrade my drivers on Windows I'd always just install the new ones over the old ones and have never had a problem.