Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
I want to make sure I am best utilizing the speed of my new powerbook (15" 1.5 1 Gb RAM, 128, 5400) for editing video:

I'm getting a firewire 800/400 160 Gb external drive and I have two 60 Gb external firewire drives (one is currently used for backup)

Please let me know if this is what I should do:

1. Install the OS (10.3.3) on the 160 external drive (and possibly others)
2. Install Final Cut Pro 4 on what I will intend to be the boot drive for editing (i.e. the 160 or at least part of it) as well as the internal PB drive.
3. Boot from the boot drive (by selecting it as the boot drive in the OS sys prefs) and run FCP on this drive. Or should I run the app on my internal drive?
4. Save the FCP files on either of the external hard drives.

Regarding partitions, is it ok if I partition the 160 for half OS boot drive/FCP and other apps/ half storage/backup? Is this possible?

Also, is it really that much faster if you run the app from an external boot drive? Is it because the ext. drives are 7200 rpm and my internal is 5400?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
It is fine to partition your HD as you like. It may be faster to run FCP from an external drive like you said, and the OS from the internal. It has some to do with the RPM, and some to do with the actual system. If you have your source on FireWire, it'll be faster.. But with your boot on the internal and FCP etc. on the external, you'll have a very nice setup. Hope this makes sense.
–Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.