Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Australia
Hi,

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth on the Macbook Air. I've read this section of the forums for a long time following the air's progress. I was almost put off on ordering it due to some of the stuff I had read; however, I took the risk and I'm so happy I did.

I am a university student and I use the air as my main computer. It's very suited to having lots of word documents open .pdfs as well as web pages, IM's and iTunes. I haven't seen it lag or stutter yet as some posts suggest. The screen is also line free on my unit (so good ones are out there!). The battery is around 3:30 with bluetooth off, wifi off and only surfing the web (facebook, other mainly text based pages) with a USB dongle. I'm sure with more tweaking I could get more out of it.

So I just wanted to let people know that if you're in a similar situation to mine and thinking about the air. I think it's a beautiful machine and should take the risk!

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I'm tossing around the idea of eBaying my June MBP 17" 2.8ghz for a MBA + 24" ACD.

For some reason, I'm honestly considering rolling the eBay dice on my mint MBP.......

Have I lost my mind? Usage is 80% home, rest travel. Usually with another laptop (Work/Personal lappy). Tom Bihn bags have worked thus far.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm tossing around the idea of eBaying my June MBP 17" 2.8ghz for a MBA + 24" ACD.

The Rev C w/SSD + the 24" ACD is a GREAT combination. I picked up a refurb'd ACD from Apple. I'd almost swear it is a brand new unit. It functions great with the MBA, the only minor issue is the cables. While they do fit the MBA the Mini Display and USB ports are on the right side of the unit while the charging port is on the left side. It still works but is not quite as tidy as it would have been with all ports on one side like the MBP's.

The link below my name shows the monitor hooked to the MBA.

Regards,

Joe

http://www.zanerian.com/Mon.jpg

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yea, you can pick up a refurb 2.13GHz Rev C MBA w/ SSD for $1,549 or so and the refurb 24" LED ACD for $699. I would have gone that route but I need the power, thus the 15" MBP.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Yea, you can pick up a refurb 2.13GHz Rev C MBA w/ SSD for $1,549 or so and the refurb 24" LED ACD for $699. I would have gone that route but I need the power, thus the 15" MBP.

Knowing your computer needs is the probably the single most important piece of information you need when making a decision of what to buy. Then just make sure you buy a system that meets that need. The MBA form factor is very cool but it is not for everyone.

Joe

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Knowing your computer needs is the probably the single most important piece of information you need when making a decision of what to buy. Then just make sure you buy a system that meets that need. The MBA form factor is very cool but it is not for everyone.

Joe

I completely agree. I wanted to make that clear in my post, so thanks for clarifying that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.