Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teckwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Hi
Thanks for reading my post, Basically I'm having trouble with a white macbook
here are the specs just in case:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Anyways this problem has been going on for a few weeks now so I have made a "timeline" of what happens:
Start
Erase and install from disk
Use for about a week
Get the Spinning-Beach ball-Of-Death
Restart
Use very low key applications for about 2 minutes
On boot hold CMD-ALT-P-R for 3 "dooshes"
Use very low key applications for about 2 minutes
On boot hold CMD-ALT-P-R for 3 "dooshes"
Move mouse over dock icons no name shows
Press CMD-ALT-ESC Nothing
Back to start

I've tried reseting permissions and repairing disk countless times sorry this post is very long but please help me solve this before I have to convert to an old windows pc in the Attic!!

:confused: :( Teckwiz :( :confused:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Sounds like a dead HDD to me. Similar deal happened with my G4 iBook, and I gave up when it couldn't even install the OS again.

Back up your stuff ASAP and pick up a new drive.

teckwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Um not completely sure what a Diskcheck is but I have put the apple cd in amd held D on startup

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
well, I would probably first run memtest(get the ISO) to make sure the ram isn't the problem. If it ends up with no errors, then the hard drive is probably the issue.

Just to make sure, I'd run a S.M.A.R.T. complete scan to check the hard drives health (apples website has some apps to do this).

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
use this time wisely, back up any/all the data you can. If you have a failing HD then it's only a matter of time. Every attempted repair brings you possibly closer to HD failure

I would tun off, het a back up drive clone sing something like superduper and then try and repair

D

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
This is how my Mini went and I'm afraid to say that yes, it is quite likely to be your hard drive, as it was in my case.

Back up your important docs, make sure you know where all your install discs are, and find yourself a new drive. And do it sooner rather than later, I have three years worth of documents frozen on a non-responsive drive. I really should get round to sorting it... heh. :rolleyes:

Cheap yet decent internal hard drives can be sourced my MRoogling and finding some of the extensive 'which hard drive is best?' threads.

Best of luck bro. Wolf ∑:•p

teckwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Yh thx guys
Thought it may be the HD but didn't wanna jump to conclusions i'll get iont my nearest shop and get it fixed cos I still have warenty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.