Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Bought the Insignia 720p HD Camcorder for $99 at Best Buy (thought I'd throw that price in incase anyone wants a cool cheap camera).

Anyway, anytime I connect it to my MacBook (Late 2007) running 10.5.7 it crashes it, as in the MacBook has a bulletin pop up stating that I need to hold down the power button to restart it.

When I unplug the camera and restart there are no issues. The second I plug it back in, the same message appears.

Any ideas? I have read that it can work on Macs...maybe a driver is off?

Obviously I want this to work and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Bought the Insignia 720p HD Camcorder for $99 at Best Buy (thought I'd throw that price in incase anyone wants a cool cheap camera).

Anyway, anytime I connect it to my MacBook (Late 2007) running 10.5.7 it crashes it, as in the MacBook has a bulletin pop up stating that I need to hold down the power button to restart it.

When I unplug the camera and restart there are no issues. The second I plug it back in, the same message appears.

Any ideas? I have read that it can work on Macs...maybe a driver is off?

Obviously I want this to work and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Don't have a solution, but someone else seems to be having the same problem as you.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9921470&tstart=0

( unless that person is you as well! )

You don't, by chance, have Perian installed, do you?

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
What's the interface? USB? Does it have a memory card? Have you tried hooking up the memory card alone? Does the manual say that it's mac compatible?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Don't have a solution, but someone else seems to be having the same problem as you.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9921470&tstart=0

( unless that person is you as well! )

You don't, by chance, have Perian installed, do you?

Yeah that is me lol... um no idea what Perian is...

What's the interface? USB? Does it have a memory card? Have you tried hooking up the memory card alone? Does the manual say that it's mac compatible?

USB... no mention of compatibility with Windoze or OSX in the manual...

No I haven't. Not sure how to hook up only the memory card...

Yes it has a 4GB memory card (obviously from my previous answer)

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
perian is a mac plug in package that lets you play different formats of video and audio. sometimes it can cause problems.

It would be worth a shot to get a memory card reader (best buy or NCIX or something) or borrow one off your friend. Hook that up (usually USB) and plug the memory card into that. See if it shows up like a hard drive and drag the files onto your computer.

The camcorder probably has some messy firmware code that is **** and messing with the mac. I had the same old issue back in os x 10.4.11 with bluetooth headsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.