PDA

View Full Version : Site doesn't work well with Firefox and Safari

DGFan
Jun 16, 2004, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know why this site doesn't work well with Firefox and Safari?

With Firefox on Windows I get crashes....frequently. No other site seems to do this other than espn.com

With Safari on OS X I occasionally get kernel panics while browsing and it's always macrumors forums that are the culprit.

michaelrjohnson
Jun 16, 2004, 08:30 AM
Well, it's not Firefox (Win XP). I use this site everyday *heavily* while i'm at work, and I have never had a problem. It has to be something with your machine.

Additionally, the kernel panics to not affect the majority on this site. My suggestion would be to troubleshoot your systems for errors.

MacDawg
Jun 16, 2004, 08:41 AM
Agreed... it must be something in your system. I'd say that MANY of us use Safari on this site without problems.

Have you checked your prefs to make sure you have everything turned on? The first thing everyone usually says is to "repair permissions" though I don't know if that would have any effect or not.

Odd you would have problems on different platforms though. :rolleyes:

DGFan
Jun 16, 2004, 08:47 AM
I suppose I should never blame any piece of software on XP/2000. But, still, it's pretty annoying that IE is 10,000 times as stable on my machine as Firefox is. And 95% of the time it's macrumors that crashes it (2-3 times per day).

The frustruating thing about the Mac is that it's a fairly brand new system. There really shouldn't be much to troubleshoot (no browser plugins, etc....)

kettle
Jun 16, 2004, 10:20 AM
This is serious wind up time, very worst case scenario is that YOUR Safari and Firefox is causing trouble for YOUR OS X.

Things don't go that wrong with OS X unless it has been meddled with, be helpful and give details of what non standard things have done to your system.

I'm afraid I think you are just trying to dismiss the Mac in some sort of self satisfying way. Truth is, if a Web site could cause Kernel Panics where would be the market for malicious viruses? They could just spam promising links to people and cause havoc.

Last Kernel Panic I ever saw was 10.0 and I mess and poke about with everything in the system.

Your problem is either made up or in no particular hurry to be fixed, there are ways to interest people in helping you or there are ways to annoy people who could help you.

It's your choice. :)

DGFan
Jun 16, 2004, 12:43 PM
Firefox obviously can't cause problems on my OS X system since it isn't installed. I just found it interesting that a website would cause problems on two OSes with two different browsers.

I can't really control my 2000 box. It's a work machine and I don't have the ability to mess with it much.

My OS X box does have quite a few pieces of software installed. And it really could be anything that's causing the problems. It just seems very coincidental that it's this site where problems happen.

Maybe the crashes are just random and I read this site too much?
:p

MacDawg
Jun 16, 2004, 01:06 PM
Firefox obviously can't cause problems on my OS X system since it isn't installed. I just found it interesting that a website would cause problems on two OSes with two different browsers.

I can't really control my 2000 box. It's a work machine and I don't have the ability to mess with it much.

My OS X box does have quite a few pieces of software installed. And it really could be anything that's causing the problems. It just seems very coincidental that it's this site where problems happen.

Maybe the crashes are just random and I read this site too much?
:p

Have you tried other forum sites?

Thirteenva
Jun 16, 2004, 01:13 PM
Have you repaired your permissions in OS X using disk utility?

kgarner
Jun 16, 2004, 01:41 PM
The only oddity I have noted is that since upgrading to FireFox 9 on my Windows machine at work there seems to be a small issue with the ads at the bottom. When I scroll dow (using the scroll wheel) and the cursor is over the ads, I can scroll just the ads for one click on the wheel (about 5px). Not really a big deal, just thought it was interesting.

DGFan
Jun 16, 2004, 01:54 PM
Have you tried other forum sites?

Yes. The only thing I could think of is that maybe some of the banner ads on macrumors are doing something funky that my browsers don't like.

Oh well, I'll try to pay attention and maybe dig into the logs at home if I see it happen again (it's very rare on my OS X box).

Mav451
Jun 16, 2004, 01:57 PM
I've used Firefox on both a Win2k and XP box since 0.6, and it has NEVER crashed on this site. Considering Firefox is now @ 0.9, I see no reason it should start to crash.

That is, unless you are using a nightly build or a trunk build. All bets are off when you use those, so do so with caution.

mkrishnan
Jun 16, 2004, 08:07 PM
Someone must have a FAQ somewhere about this Safari goofiness. Just to chime in, I have always used Safari to view this site and I don't have issues.

It doesn't sound to me like it's the problem, but if you really think its the pop-ups, give pithhelmet a try and see if it helps?