Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adept

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Ever since I got my Mac Book Pro I have been wanting to run Window's games on it (I like Apple's OS loads better, but I miss the Window's compatibility). And I have been looking for free ways to run Windows on my mac (meaning no VMware, no Parallels, and hopefully no buying Windows XP). And I have come across this project called Wine. I have since installed Wine, but haven't had much luck getting it to work.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had used Wine before, and if you had any advice on how to make it work (keep in mind that even though I did install Wine in terminal that's about all the far my code knowledge goes). Or am I better off just shelling out the 100 bucks (or whatever it is) to buy a Windows OS? Thanks in advanced!

PS: I know its stupid to buy a Mac computer to run Window's things, but thats another story

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I agree with Rodus, to get full performance from games you want to use Windows so Direct X can be implemented. have used Wine on Linux and it's OK but won't work with a lot of games. Have you looked into Crossover games? http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Crossover runs ok, but it still has its issues.

Also, if you're on the little 13" Macbook, you'll want to boot into Windows. Wine, Cider, Crossover, etc. will suck so much out of that little laptop that the game quality will be far reduced compared to running it natively in Windows.

As said before, Windows 7 RC is free and runs games as fast as XP.

Adept

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
I was having trouble just getting Wine to install Internet Explorer 8, but if its going to significantly reduce my gaming ability/quality then I'll give up on it (maybe in the future the Wine team will get it to work better and with a free GUI)

As for Windows 7 RC, isn't that going to stop working after awhile? I suppose it is a great temporary fix, but how much is it gonna cost when its finally released? Are there any versions of Windows that are free (and legal) and still new enough to solve my gaming problem? (I hate to sound cheap, but I'm college kid who doesn't have a lot of cash on hand)

Thanks for your guy's help! You saved me a lot of time I would have wasted trying to get Wine to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.