Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Ok here is a little project I shot in a garden to promote my friends 'Viva Machine' who have just released their debut album. Two cameras, one static (Sony HVR-A1E) one hand held (Canon HV30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOvK2_tzB4A

Here is a music video I shot/edited for their single Robot Bodyrox. This is my first attempt at a music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7TjsXSgrw

Not exactly a music video, but it's a documentary I shot/edited on the set of a really intense music video for the same band Viva Machine. It's alright for a laugh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWetF7jqdpA

This is the official video that was produced by a small indie company in London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDEkvmScLWs&feature=channel_page

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
watched em all

Justin
Normally I'm not much for stop motion but that was much better than alot of the other ones I have seen. How long did that take to shoot? I like the car scene, it was cut and took you out of the stop motion realm for a bit.

MIDI
What did you shoot with for the Robot Bodyrox video? How long did it take? How many people were in that video? Where was the location?
Robot Bodyrox was a really good first time music video! My only suggestion would have been to watch out for the high light blow outs and to send it through color. Other than that, the vision was good.
Were you on the crew for the official indie video?

FSMBP
I feel you on that pinnicle studio. That's where i started then moved onto ULEAD. Now I'm on mac. The video work was good and a decent selection of FX.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
MIDI
What did you shoot with for the Robot Bodyrox video? How long did it take? How many people were in that video? Where was the location?
Robot Bodyrox was a really good first time music video! My only suggestion would have been to watch out for the high light blow outs and to send it through color. Other than that, the vision was good.
Were you on the crew for the official indie video?

How many people were in the video? You mean crowd? Roughly 30 I guess. The location was just a nightclub that a few of the guys work at, and they allowed us their stage for a day.

Took us about 6 hours of shooting. Multiple takes. The idea is that as the band play, the crowd appears but aren't really there.

Camera was Sony HVR-A1E. Not a fan if I'm honest, it was borrowed. I didn't have the Canon HV30 back then.

I also didn't have any access to 'Color'. What would you have suggested I did in 'Color'? The blow out I was going for. A blinding 'in camera' transition attempt.

I wasn't working on the official video, I was commissioned to produce a 'making of' and I took 300 on set stills with a Canon 40D with a 17-85mm and a MKII 50mm f1.8.

Here are some shots:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=60320012&albumId=2767755

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
HA!
We both shoot HV30's! Sweet little units! We should collaborate more!

It wasn't the transitions, it was just some of the shots had blow out that wasn't too appealing. personal pref i guess.

Sounds like we both did the same thing in our videos. Got some people together, played some music and put it together.
In the metal video, I did all the shooting then I recorded the song after the shoot. All done in 12 hours.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
HA!
We both shoot HV30's! Sweet little units! We should collaborate more!

It wasn't the transitions, it was just some of the shots had blow out that wasn't too appealing. personal pref i guess.

Sounds like we both did the same thing in our videos. Got some people together, played some music and put it together.
In the metal video, I did all the shooting then I recorded the song after the shoot. All done in 12 hours.

The HV30 is an absolutely incredible camera. Just blows me away. Blows the Sony away too.

We should/could collaborate, most definitely. What else have you done?

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Justin
Normally I'm not much for stop motion but that was much better than alot of the other ones I have seen. How long did that take to shoot? I like the car scene, it was cut and took you out of the stop motion realm for a bit.

Thanks, I had a less then two days to shoot it. I had everything planned out in advance but I only had two days to do the actual shooting and editing. I wish I had, had more time to make it look a little nicer but that's when it was due.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
A music video I did with my friend Rian back in college as a class project (uploaded long before YouTube supported any sort of HQ or HD modes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqmWRCHW3oU

I should upload it in higher quality one of these days (not that there's TOO much higher quality to work with—it was shot on miniDV with Sony PD-170s in their pseudo-widescreen mode, so).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok, here is a music video to the song "Jalapeno" by Big and Rich. i've made several similar videos to this one, just for fun.

this is just me and some college friends goofing off really. just for laughs

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
MOOSEFACE!
great job!
who cares about the quality? your vision was great!
do another!!
just a few tips (that you might know already)
1. more lighting would have stopped any strobe effect of happening. You can add contrast and "darkness" later in the post process.
2. I noticed there were no close ups of the singer's face.
3. no group shots of the band going nuts-o. these are nice cause they can mess up their playing but since it's far away it's no biggy.

what I liked though was:
1. that strobe effect with the cymbals and bass hits. TIGHT! maybe have that close up of the singer after the long pause?
2. no long clips. it felt like a music video.

again, great job and make another!
couple questions for ya:
1. how long did shooting take?
2. where did you shoot?
3. what did you edit with?

mooseface

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
MOOSEFACE!
great job!
who cares about the quality? your vision was great!
do another!!
just a few tips (that you might know already)
1. more lighting would have stopped any strobe effect of happening. You can add contrast and "darkness" later in the post process.
2. I noticed there were no close ups of the singer's face.
3. no group shots of the band going nuts-o. these are nice cause they can mess up their playing but since it's far away it's no biggy.

what I liked though was:
1. that strobe effect with the cymbals and bass hits. TIGHT! maybe have that close up of the singer after the long pause?
2. no long clips. it felt like a music video.

again, great job and make another!
couple questions for ya:
1. how long did shooting take?
2. where did you shoot?
3. what did you edit with?

Thank you very much! Means a lot to hear praise like that :D

It was shot whilst they did a gig and which meant I didn't have any control over lighting. It also meant I couldn't ask the band to do anything specific and just have to work around them, which I actually quite like doing. Th point about no shots of the band, I think I did try to get a few wide shots in but shooting on a rubbish camera and no decent lighting to speak of meant it looked poo.

I believe they played for about 45 minutes, so and there were 2 of us shooting. I only used the other persons footage for 2 different shots, as they filmed on a hdd camera and the two looked completely different and there was no way of making them work seamlessly together.

It was shot at a local bar in Cheltenham, UK.

I editied it with FCP and did a little colour correction in it too.

I have a few music video ideas in the pipeline which I will be able to shoot on much better cameras so hopefully they will look a lot better. Again, thanks for all the kind words and comments!!

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
OH SHAP MOOSE!
that was live!?
I thought it was just meant to LOOK live.
Great job then and scrap everything I said!
LOL

keep us posted here on the next videos you make!

SHADOWKNIGHT
good job. I am sure after 4 years of shooting since then you would be coming up with some ill pieces!
My only advice for that video would have been:
1. More "biatches". Gangsters love their women. LOL
2. Low riders... lots of low riders
(okay, so 1 and 2 are just little things)
3. some slow motion / time remapping would have been nice to see.
4. jump to close up of peoples face
5. more bling bling. LOL

but really, good job. I'd have no idea how to shoot rap.

shadowknight123

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
OH SHAP MOOSE!
that was live!?
I thought it was just meant to LOOK live.
Great job then and scrap everything I said!
LOL

keep us posted here on the next videos you make!

SHADOWKNIGHT
good job. I am sure after 4 years of shooting since then you would be coming up with some ill pieces!
My only advice for that video would have been:
1. More "biatches". Gangsters love their women. LOL
2. Low riders... lots of low riders
(okay, so 1 and 2 are just little things)
3. some slow motion / time remapping would have been nice to see.
4. jump to close up of peoples face
5. more bling bling. LOL

but really, good job. I'd have no idea how to shoot rap.

Awesome! I really appreciate the comments =) Yea im hopping to do a music video again for Sean Murphy, he is starting to release his album I believe it's going to hit the shelves aug 28? His agent i guess is the same one as rhianna's also. He is my sisters Boyfriend so I thought what a perfect oppturnity to get my talent out there maybe if his music career goes far I can produce his videos if he likes what I have to offer. :)

yes i needed low riders and more bling bling! =p As for motion time remapping, twixtor is best for that right? I'm thinking about purchasing it since alot of people say its well worth it.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
twixtor?
never heard about it.
you can slow things down in FC, that's all I meant.
But if you go mega slow, go into motion and remap it. this is if you go less than 20% speed. but even at 80, it's not that bad.

what is the genre of music for this new guy? what's a similiar artist?

FOR ALL:
I try to give advice from two points:
1. artisitic - more bling bling, different shots
2. applications - time remps, filters

Personally, I could use help on both.
My directing has always needed help....

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
ISETHX-
what kind of camera did you use?
What program?

I'm not sure what camera, a really cheap one. it was just random footage. I threw it into the original finalcut pro at school, it was the first thing i ever made and it only took an hour or 2, but not much is done to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.