Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Hi, ever since my iBook broke and I left the school that provided me with a macbook I have been searching for a replacement. I have found three computers that are around the same price and one that is fairly cheaper. Here are the pros and cons I have found. Please let me know which I should pick

Original 1.83 Ghz Macbook Pro $899

Pros:
Powerhouse Computer
(Relatively) Large Screen

Cons:
Heaviest of four
Oldest of three
Not sure how long the life of this computer will be

Original Macbook Air $899

Pros:
Ultra Lightweight (Very Important)
Nice Design
Cons:
Slowest of four
Battery life issues?

New Macbook Unibody (on sale) $929

Pros:
Brand new
Unibody design
Fairly Fast
Very Practical

Cons:
Most expensive
Mid level machine

Original Macbook "Blackbook" $699

Pros:
Cheapest of four
Also very practical

Cons:
Older Computer
Least powerful other than air

Let me know what you think. I like the air a lot but I am not sure if it will be the right machine for me. I am a pretty low level user, the most powerful thing I use is Xcode. Give me your opinions, thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
By no means is the original 1.83ghz MBP a "powerhouse." It's running a Core Duo which is outclassed by every other computer on your list (except the Blackbook which is also CD based) which are running C2D processors.

The Unibody is your best bet on that list with those prices. The MBP and BlackBook are horribly dated at this point. For $30 more, you're getting an optical drive, more future expandability, more external ports, and a better gfx/chipset with the Unibody than the Air.

For me, it's really no contest.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
The MacBook Pro should be out of the question IMO. The 15" screen is much bigger than you think - it's not nearly as portable as the others. And that's what you're paying a premium for - the 15" screen, as you're getting a significantly slower processor and innards and the battery is likely getting quite old. Pass.

Either of the Macbooks - either the BlackBook or the AluBook - are fantastic choices.

What are the specs on the Blackbook? Chances are it's going to have better performance than the air and gives you an optical drive.

The AluBook will offer better performance than the BlackBook, but $200 worth? Doubtful. Again, it depends on the Blackbook model, so it may be worth it - if you cannot put 4GB in the Blackbook, if it's a significantly slower processor, etc. But chances are you're paying $100 for the extra performance, $100 for the aluminum design (just to stay simple).

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The MacBook Pro should be out of the question IMO. The 15" screen is much bigger than you think - it's not nearly as portable as the others. And that's what you're paying a premium for - the 15" screen, as you're getting a significantly slower processor and innards and the battery is likely getting quite old. Pass.

Either of the Macbooks - either the BlackBook or the AluBook - are fantastic choices.

What are the specs on the Blackbook? Chances are it's going to have better performance than the air and gives you an optical drive.

The AluBook will offer better performance than the BlackBook, but $200 worth? Doubtful. Again, it depends on the Blackbook model, so it may be worth it - if you cannot put 4GB in the Blackbook, if it's a significantly slower processor, etc. But chances are you're paying $100 for the extra performance, $100 for the aluminum design (just to stay simple).

That BlackBook is horribly out of date. It's the older Core Duo architecture so it won't benefit from the 64bit enhancements of SL. It's also running the GMA950 chipset, dog slow with terribly 3D/video performance compared to the 9400M or even the older X3100. It also has an OLD battery and HD which unless has been replaced will be fairly small too. On TOP of all that, you'll have a new battery from Apple= $129, new HDD will be at least $70 for a nice upgrade. That right there, without sales tax and shipping is $200 to bring it up to acceptable battery/HDD specs.

Unibody, no other choice there.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
That BlackBook is horribly out of date. It's the older Core Duo architecture so it won't benefit from the 64bit enhancements of SL. It's also running the GMA950 chipset, dog slow with terribly 3D/video performance compared to the 9400M or even the older X3100. It also has an OLD battery and HD which unless has been replaced will be fairly small too. On TOP of all that, you'll have a new battery from Apple= $129, new HDD will be at least $70 for a nice upgrade. That right there, without sales tax and shipping is $200 to bring it up to acceptable battery/HDD specs.

Unibody, no other choice there.

Totally agree with everything here. Go for the unibody. Good luck :)

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
If you are going to spend over $500, I agree with others who say to avoid original Core Duo machines and even Core 2 models with the ancient GMA950. That $899 MBP is a rip-off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.