PDA

View Full Version : Which macbook should I get?

laf5203
Aug 2, 2009, 02:11 PM
I have never used a mac before, but I am required to have a macbook for my major. From what I have read about macs I am atually very excited about this, but I am on a small budget. At the computer store on campus they have the Aluminum macbook not the pro just the origianal for $849, and the white macbook for $949. I am thinking the aluminum would be more durable, but i am alittle worried about buying a computer they dont make anymore. Any suggestions?

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 2, 2009, 02:13 PM
They still make the Alu MB, but they just added a FW800 port to it and a higher contrast screen and called it the MBP.

Just make sure the Alu models they have were made after April '09 so they have the mid-cycle refresh upgraded screens (9CA5/6/7/8 instead of 9C8C or 9C89).

laf5203
Aug 2, 2009, 04:19 PM
They still make the Alu MB, but they just added a FW800 port to it and a higher contrast screen and called it the MBP.

Just make sure the Alu models they have were made after April '09 so they have the mid-cycle refresh upgraded screens (9CA5/6/7/8 instead of 9C8C or 9C89).

is the upgrade sceen for the shinyness? and if it isn't do the screen films work to solve that issue?

NewMacbookPlz
Aug 2, 2009, 04:51 PM
is the upgrade sceen for the shinyness? and if it isn't do the screen films work to solve that issue?

No, it's for increased contract ratio and more proper black reproduction. The 9C8C and 9C89 have pretty good brightness but really poor contrast as the black reproduction is pretty poor.

laf5203
Aug 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
ok thanks alot :)

applebook
Aug 2, 2009, 06:37 PM
Even the older screen on the uMB is still clearly better than the very, very poor CCFL LCD on the white book. If you afford it, get the aluminum.