Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
For those of you that have reapplied the thermal paste, did the bottom of the case heat up more when the CPU temp dropped due to better thermal paste?

Thanks

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I did notice that... especially with less thermal paste actually. If I put a gunk on it like they do in the manuals, I don't have a overheated bottom panel. If I put a thin slice like I'm suppose to, I get a bottom panel that can cook an egg... I have no idea why but thats what I observed

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
wouldn't this be what you had expected? optimal thermal paste application will enhance the conduction of heat from CPU to the bottom casing. Poor thermal paste application insulates the enclosure, and the perceived effect is a low[er] bottom case temperature (while the CPU is being fried on the inside)

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I am trying to decide whether to do it or not.
My idle temp is 42-45 and any light surfing quickly gets me to 52-55 C.

Now if I can get it down like 5 degrees C and thereby increase battery life it would be worth it but not if it would heat up the bottom case since I like to use it on my lap. Was hoping for the opposite actually that it would distribute the heat more evenly and reduce vase bottom temp with AS5.

Maybe Coolbook is better solution all around?

Thanks

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
wouldn't this be what you had expected? optimal thermal paste application will enhance the conduction of heat from CPU to the bottom casing. Poor thermal paste application insulates the enclosure, and the perceived effect is a low[er] bottom case temperature (while the CPU is being fried on the inside)

+1 the case acts like a big heat sink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.