PDA

View Full Version : LAMP Internship advice

dbaugh
Aug 2, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hey Macrumors,

This is my first post here. I am a recent Mac convert with the purchase of my new 13 inch MBP and I must say that I am loving the platform. Anyway, I am a Junior in College and I will have an internship this Fall that will deal with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). My focus has been on object oriented programming so far in my college career so I do not have much experience with web development. I did some HTML way back in high school and I had a class in which we made a mock web site that linked with an SQL database via PHP. It was all very rudimentary, and was a while ago so I am very rusty. I am a very good programmer though and I have no problem learning new skills on on my own.

To be more clear, here is an email from manager describing what I need to know for my internship (They know that I am not very proficient at web design and hired me knowing that I would be learning it before I start):

"Hi xxxx

The Operational Management and Statistics (OMS) application was built in the LAMP environment; Linux/Apache/mySQL/PHP. A working knowledge of those 4 technologies is basic to getting things done with the application. In addition, working knowledge HTML, CSS, XML, Javascript, and AJAX will need to be achieved during your internship. I use Zend Studio as a workbench but I'm open to seeing how another product might be used in the same way.

Feel free to send me any questions that might cross your mind.

Thanks very much."

I have about 3 weeks until I start. I have already ordered this book: http://www.amazon.com/Open-Source-Development-LAMP-Apache/dp/020177061X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249249181&sr=1-1 It should arrive early this week. I will definitely be absorbing it cover to cover in addition to going to through tutorials on w3schools.com, but my question is if anyone here could recommend me a good workbench to work with real code? I have heard good things about Rapidweaver but I am on a very limited budget (Poor College Student) and would prefer something cheap to work on my code. I would greatly appreciate any software recommendations or advice on going about preparing for my internship.

Thanks

angelwatt
Aug 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
Well you can setup MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html) on your Mac to give yourself a testing environment. Be sure to check out the stickies in this forum to see a number of resources that you can make use of in terms of applications as well as web learning material and other things. TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/) is a good free text editor.

dbaugh
Aug 4, 2009, 09:07 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the unix commands ill be using with MAMP are the same as the unix commands I would use in a LAMP environment?

angelwatt
Aug 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the unix commands ill be using with MAMP are the same as the unix commands I would use in a LAMP environment?

There's not many commands that you use directly with MAMP/LAMP. For MAMP, you start it up with push of a button and stop it just the same. The rest is just editing files for the configuration and web pages. Any interaction you have with MySQL from the command line would be the same if you need to interact with it that way. Most of the time you can use phpmyAdmin to interact with the databases. That should come installed when you install MAMP/LAMP.

dbaugh
Aug 4, 2009, 09:55 PM
I plan to work through a book I just received on LAMP. Would I be hurting myself as to knowing how to work with LAMP for my internship if I applied the book to MAMP?

foshizzle
Aug 4, 2009, 09:56 PM
MAMP would work, but i guess if you really want to have a true LAMP install why don't you install virtualbox on your mac (free) and install Ubuntu server or another linux distro (free) in a virtual machine. Ubuntu server gives you the option to install apache, PHP, MySQL, and SSH right off the bat in the install process. This will give you a command line interface probably similar to what you'll encounter. You'll probably be using the MAC OS X terminal.app to SSH into the server, as well as a coding platform to work on the web development.

Enjoy.

dbaugh
Aug 4, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks a lot, that seems like a really good way to go. I will definitely check it out.

foshizzle
Aug 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
Also check out sequel pro (free) as a MySQL GUI for mac os x.

http://www.sequelpro.com/

(from a fellow college student - I like to find the free/cheap deals as well)