Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Hi,

I am, for some reason, obsessing on the rev.C (refurb) deal + 24" ACD (refurb) deal on Apple.com. I currently own a 1 month old 17" 2.8, 4gig, matte unibody MPB (June model). Love it, but it really is heavy and requires a pretty big bag.

I do travel with it frequently, but I also carry a work Lenovo laptop. As you can imagine, it all gets heavy.

My computer usage primarily consists of web browsing, media streaming (hulu, slingbox, etc) and photography. I got the 17" b/c of the stunning HD display.

Would I be miserable with the 2.13 Air? My mouse is hovering over the purchase button...

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi,

I am, for some reason, obsessing on the rev.C (refurb) deal + 24" ACD (refurb) deal on Apple.com. I currently own a 1 month old 17" 2.8, 4gig, matte unibody MPB (June model). Love it, but it really is heavy and requires a pretty big bag.

I do travel with it frequently, but I also carry a work Lenovo laptop. As you can imagine, it all gets heavy.

My computer usage primarily consists of web browsing, media streaming (hulu, slingbox, etc) and photography. I got the 17" b/c of the stunning HD display.

Would I be miserable with the 2.13 Air? My mouse is hovering over the purchase button...

Hi,

I have the MAB Rev C SSD (New) + 24" ACD (Refurb) and love it. However, if you do buy it PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE resist the urge to compare it to your MBP........it is a different beast. If your needs are in line for the MBA's ability you will be in love for sure. On the other hand, if your expecting it to go toe-to-toe with a 17" MBP you will be dissappointed. Just be sure to get the SSD. The only minor issue is the ACD cables. While they do fit and function with the MBA Rev C, they were designed with the MB and MBP in mind. What I mean is that the MBA the Mini Display and USB ports are on the right side of the unit while the charging port is on the left side. It still works but is not quite as tidy as it would have been with all ports on one side like the MBP's.

The link below my name shows the monitor hooked to the MBA.

Regards,

Joe

http://www.zanerian.com/Mon.jpg

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
iThink you will enjoy the load off your back, but you bought a machine that is not going to become outdated and would likely suit more then your current needs, the MacBook Air is not that machine.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
iThink you will enjoy the load off your back, but you bought a machine that is not going to become outdated and would likely suit more then your current needs, the MacBook Air is not that machine.
Interesting prespective. I try to keep computers for ~2 yrs before eBaying. This will be my only machine.

Are you saying the Air will feel outdated very quickly? If I can get 2-3 yrs out of it I will be happy.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
you mentioned "media streaming, photography work" for that I would not recommend the Air, it may do the job but you'll know it's working and you'll hear the fan, same thing when you do some work with it attached to the ACD you'll know it's working and you'll hear the fan.

I think the 13" MBP may suit your needs better? Have the SD card slot, more power...

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
If you wanted those specs you got in the 17" but were worried about portability, why didnt you get the 15"?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
If you wanted those specs you got in the 17" but were worried about portability, why didnt you get the 15"?
Is the right answer IMO.

Much as I see the appeal of the MBA/ACD setup (my own preferred choice), I think your needs will be better served by 'compromising' in size but not function and choosing the 15 MBP. I'd wait until they offer the anti-glare coating though, as you'll hate the change from your silver-bezeled 17.

That said, if by that time (matte AG display on the 15) Apple have also updated the MBA to 4GB etc (all the other specs like SSD, battery tech) then I'd say the MBA/ACD is very much back in the running.

You may be tempted by the refurb price, but the current rev.C MBA will not prove to be a 2-3 year machine given your somewhat pro-am requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.