PDA

View Full Version : Apple resellers are revolting

MacBytes
Jun 16, 2004, 04:36 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple resellers are revolting (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040616173648)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

CraigS
Jun 16, 2004, 04:57 PM
You said it, they stink on ice.

nagromme
Jun 16, 2004, 05:15 PM
Now THAT's a loaded headline.

(And whatever problems some resellers may have, sounds to me like Apple HAS done some bad--perhaps illegal--things here. Apple shouldn't be allowed to if that's the case.)

pgwalsh
Jun 16, 2004, 06:26 PM
There used to be a few Mac Stores in the area, but since they opened the Palo Alto store, the others have closed. I now see employees from the old stores at the Apple store..

I asked one reseller why he was closing and he said he couldn't compete with Apple... That their business dropped more than 50% when Apple opened their store....

themadchemist
Jun 16, 2004, 06:54 PM
Yeah, this is old news, but serious nevertheless. Sounds like some shady accounting on Apple's part, if these allegations are true.

What bothers me isn't so much that Apple is edging out local resellers (although that's unfortunate, too), but that the way Apple has been reporting the performance of its retail stores might have been quite misleading.

aarond12
Jun 17, 2004, 08:43 AM
You said it, they stink on ice.

Dammit, you beat me to it. :)

Savage Henry
Jun 17, 2004, 08:51 AM
Dammit, you beat me to it. :)

I think Mel Brooks was well ahead of everyone on that one!

None of this surprises me in modern commerce. 10 years time, I don't expect resellers to be featuring much. I think Apple has been intending this all since shortly after Steve came back.

uzombie
Jun 17, 2004, 08:54 AM
I am one for Apple succeeding, at the price of retailer that think they can ride the Apple Gravy Train and not think about anything other than profit (is there any other motive???).

Take for example, an old issue of macWeek. In the back, the advetiser section was loaded with flighty, get-rich-off-your money ads from shady vendors. There was a shakedown as Apple knew it wants (needs!) control over its most profitable resource- hardware.

Allowing little stores that offer nothing more than a few good tips and high price is not a VAR. And catalogs, though saving one tax and even shipping, were (are?) sub-par with accurate information and buyer support. (the average mac buyer does not equate into the average mac user).

I think, in a market economy, that you are a taking a risk to sell someone elses goods, at markup. These folks saw the writing on the wall and ignored it. You don't hear the iPod accessorizers complaining, do you?

(ok, so some of these stores had knowledgeable help...but they should have been smart enough to take a job at an Apple store if they were that knowledgeable. Or saw that direct sales was coming and better consider another venue)

Yay. Apple's stock is over $32 and there is $5billion in the bank!

;)

shamino
Jun 18, 2004, 04:25 PM
Over here, in northern VA, there were only two Apple dealers before the Apple Stores opened - CompUSA and Micro Center. Both are still selling Mac stuff today.

I'm really not sure why. While both sell Mac equipment in a corner of the store, I never see anyone staff the Mac section of CompUSA, and I rarely see anyone in the Mac section of Micro Center. If you ask questions of someone in another part of the store, you never get a straight or correct answer.

And their selection is bad. Not of Apple products - they've got all the Mac/iPod stuff and Apple software you could want. They have bad selections of everything else. Very few games. Missing several critical utilities (like Tech Tool Pro and Disk Warrior). Heck, they don't even have the student/teacher edition of MS Office for the Mac!

The Apple store carries all this. Which is why they get my business and the other stores don't.

I'm sure they'll blame Apple for their bad Mac sales, but this is only because Apple actually keeps product in stock and they don't.

Accusations of favoritism would only make sense if the third-party dealers didn't have Apple products in stock. Around here, they have plenty of that. Apple has no control over how much stuff from other vendors (like Micromat, Alsoft and Microsoft) they keep in inventory.