Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DjG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Canada
I have a G3 Ibook 800Mhz 128 ram. Most of the time I am using creative applications like DJ progs, Phoshop, iMovie etc. I read somewhere if you "Page ins/out" (in the activity monitor) are greater than 6 digits you need more ram. Mine are generally in the 7 digit range. I'm sure aquisition is also suspect for this huge number.

So getting to my point, if this trend continues can it harm my iBook in anyway or shorten it's life span :confused: ? Sure hope not!

Thanks,
-DjG

danva

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2004
May kill your HD

My wifes iBook has 384 Mb memory and she uses it for graphics design.
The HD died in 18 months.
When the memory is in short supply, the system will constantly page out and in uing your drive for swap space. It's not very healthy for "weak" notebook drives. :(

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
It will not likely damage your HD. You are more likely to damage your HD by turning it putting your machine to sleep or turning it off vs. leaving it running all the time.

BTW: if you would upgrade your RAM, your machine's perceived performance would greatly improve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.