PDA

View Full Version : Want To Get A Macbook For College

MJGB
Aug 3, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in Sixth Form (High School in US) and am approaching second year. My current desktop is old, slowly dying and in need of being replaced. Was thinking of getting a Macbook as a big fan of Apple products and the added portability would help with studies.

As a student, price is a big factor. I'm not looking for a high end Macbook, just something to ease me into the Mac market, and something capable of internet surfing and running a couple of applications for my studies.

Was thinking of getting ;

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE4MTY

If I get this for 749, I'll be able to afford this by December (few purchases i need before then).

Just wondering whether you thought it would be a good initial investment for a new potential adopter of the Macbook / Mac series. The RAM seems sufficient, screen size and other specifications I'm happy with.

Cheers, Matt

RMo
Aug 3, 2009, 03:54 PM
Was thinking of getting ;

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE4MTY

Just wondering whether you thought it would be a good initial investment for a new potential adopter of the Macbook / Mac series. The RAM seems sufficient, screen size and other specifications I'm happy with.

That machine (and, actually, any computer Apple is currently selling, in addition to any of the previous few models) is certainly capable of the tasks you mention. As a random side-note, being a United-States-ian, I converted the quoted price to USD, and I have to say it's quite a bit more expensive than it is here. I know Apple machines tend to be a bit higher overseas, but I wasn't expecting over $300 USD (about 175 GBP) more. But that is probably normal...

A couple tips to save money if you are interested:

Buy refurbished--they are inspected, re-certified, and should literally be good as new. Clearance is also an option, although these will be previous models, not always much of a discount, and possibly less of a discount that you could find elsewhere. But refurbished models are usually a good bet (they have both older and, if it's been out for long enough, current models listed depending on what they have in stock; it changes day to day). You can find a link to the Refurbished store on the left side of the store.apple.com page. The most notable way in which they differ from a new machine is the packaging: instead of Apple's fancy white (or whatever-colored) box, you get a standard brown-ish cardboard box. Unless you're particularly attached to packaging, it won't matter (personally, I only see the box once or twice in the time that I own the computer :)).
If you're a college/university student, Apple has educational discounts. In the US, they aren't always that significant for lower-priced machines (maybe, for example, $50 USD), but it can be worth looking into and comparing it to other options.

This assumes that these options exist in the UK; I'm not sure if Apple does educational discounts outside the US, but I'm sure they still have a refurb store. Used is also a fairly good option (check eBay, for example), but then you'll have to worry about a couple things (condition of the machine, warranty status, seller trustworthyness) that you wouldn't otherwise--but you can often save a lot.

And one final note, when you decide to bid this machine goodbye, Macs tend to hold their resale values better than PCs, so if you want to upgrade to a better machine later, you can always sell it on eBay or the like. I've done this with my last couple computers (although I only held on to them for a couple years at most--I think I've settled down now!) and managed to recoup about 2/3 the cost towards the purchase of a new one.

Good luck!

pica93
Aug 3, 2009, 03:57 PM
-

molala
Aug 3, 2009, 04:05 PM
It's a good machine and good investment as your first Mac. Hopefully there'll even be an update by the end of the year when you buy it.

Do check out the education store as someone posted. The MacBook would be cheaper there.
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing?mco=MTIxODk0Nw

If you're buying from the Apple Store, just tell them you are a student and show your ID, they will give you education pricing.

boast
Aug 3, 2009, 04:24 PM
either the dollar has really lost its value, or thats a really expensive macbook!

Can't you just buy one on ebay and buy the magsafe cable for the uk?

molala
Aug 3, 2009, 07:02 PM
It's always been more expensive here, and our VAT is 15%.

But as education customers, we can buy AppleCare for the MacBook for around 60 (only available at the same time as computer is bought).

rancorus
Aug 3, 2009, 08:35 PM
I purchased the same machine a few weeks ago when they updated and I am very satisfied with my purchase. It was my first mac and first time using OSX and it took me maybe a week to get comfortable with the differences with windows. The machine will easily get you through everything you listed as will almost any laptop shipped in the last few years. I bought this model to get the mac experience at a price in my budget. In a year or two, once I graduate from university, I might switch to a more high-end computer from the Apple lineup of products.

Hope I could help and have fun with your future mac.

MJGB
Aug 4, 2009, 01:14 AM
Cheers guys. Good to know It will be good a buy.

And I looked through the higher education discount which will save 45 and get an iPod Touch free! So big thanks for suggesting that. Now just to resist spending too much whilst I save.

Cheers, Matt

MacScoob
Aug 4, 2009, 06:56 AM
You wont get the touch for free if your buying in December as the touch offer finishes on september the 8th

MJGB
Aug 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
You wont get the touch for free if your buying in December as the touch offer finishes on september the 8th

I realised after I posted :( Still, I wasn't expecting a discount or free item so I'm still happy with 8% discount.

RMo
Aug 4, 2009, 03:44 PM
I realised after I posted :( Still, I wasn't expecting a discount or free item so I'm still happy with 8% discount.

Good to hear! Be sure to checkout the refurbished selection online, as well (unless you have a problem with refurbished, but I don't because they're practically new) because there are often significant discounts there, too. Assuming, of course, Apple does refurbs internationally--but I'd assume they would. In any case, at least you have the educational pricing.

Good luck!