PDA

View Full Version : FAO: Apple Employees - regarding the next iteration of the Air

Jobsian
Aug 3, 2009, 03:54 PM
Oh hi!

I am torn (and i mean that literally - anatomical tearing) between getting an Air now and waiting a few months to see if a super duper version with 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM, slight processor bump, better thermals, glass trackpad, helium pockets to make it float etc turns up, silently or otherwise.

Would someone who works for Apple Corp in Cupertino, California, USA, please register here at the macrumors.com forums and tell me whether there will be an update to the Air anytime soon. Please do this immediately.

Steven if you are reading this yourself please do get a move on, I haven't got forever.

MacMini2009
Aug 3, 2009, 03:57 PM
Steve Ballmer knows.

kntgsp
Aug 3, 2009, 03:59 PM
Oh hi!

I am torn (and i mean that literally - anatomical tearing) between getting an Air now and waiting a few months to see if a super duper version with 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM, slight processor bump, better thermals, glass trackpad, helium pockets to make it float etc turns up, silently or otherwise.

Would someone who works for Apple Corp in Cupertino, California, USA, please register here at the macrumors.com forums and tell me whether there will be an update to the Air anytime soon. Please do this immediately.

Steven if you are reading this yourself please do get a move on, I haven't got forever.

This is either a brilliant parody or another example of why this forum has come to be mocked amongst many tech circles compared to what it was in 2004.

CompanionCube
Aug 3, 2009, 04:01 PM
The next Macbook Air will have 4GB DDR3, 2.53GHz cpu, and a 7 hour battery.

jackiecanev2
Aug 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

4gb ram, yes, but it will be biofueled. Kthxbai.

MacMini2009
Aug 3, 2009, 04:14 PM

- 10THZ Intel Core i107
- 50TB SLC SSD
- 102GB of DDR10 RAM
- 100 Hour Battery
- As thin as paper.

jdechko
Aug 3, 2009, 04:18 PM
I highly doubt that anyone with any knowledge is willing to risk his or her job, which is probably a nice gig, to appease you. And anyone that you might have direct contact with doesn't know jack. They didn't ever tell us anything. Even the managers had little to no clue (maybe a week in advance, if that).

Anyway, I've wondered why technology companies always pre-announce their stuff.

Hey guys. Don't buy anything from us for about a month, okay.

secretpact
Aug 3, 2009, 04:19 PM
I thought the Air already had a glass trackpad?

cjacks68
Aug 3, 2009, 04:25 PM
I thought the Air already had a glass trackpad?

Nope

queshy
Aug 4, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hah, that's a pretty funny post :P

Anyways, there's always something better around the corner. If you need it now, buy now, if not, wait. The Rev D air will be better than the Rev C air. My prediction: 4 GB ram BTO, 256 SSD BTO.

Truffy
Aug 4, 2009, 02:51 AM
This is either a brilliant parody or another example of why this forum has come to be mocked amongst many tech circles compared to what it was in 2004.
I err towards the former explanation! :)

There's more than enough jokers on here to account for the latter, but you can usually tell by the slack-jawed lack of joined-up thinking :(

sushi
Aug 4, 2009, 03:00 AM
I am torn (and i mean that literally - anatomical tearing)
Personally, I am curious about this. :p

As for the release schedule of the next version of the MBA, who knows?

Someday there will be a version that has 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait. :)

wetrix
Aug 4, 2009, 03:20 AM
There are plenty of Apple employees on these forums, but not surprisingly, they tend to be just as informed as any other macrumors user.

Also, I don't think working in an Apple retail store is a particularly good gig. No offence but it sounds tedious and would make the world of Apple more like work :-(

jamesryanbell
Aug 4, 2009, 11:19 AM
- 10THZ Intel Core i107
- 50TB SLC SSD
- 102GB of DDR10 RAM
- 100 Hour Battery
- As thin as paper.

Ok, if you're going to let that can-has cat out of the bag, at least be exact about it. The 50TB SLC SSD after formatting is really only about 48TB. It kinda sucks. That's not near enough room. Secondly, REALISTICALLY, the battery will probably only pull around 75-80 hours. Apple needs to really get on the ball there. I only sleep twice a week. Lastly, when you say "as thin as paper", everyone's picturing notebook paper, but unfortunately, we're staring down the barrel of a construction-paperish thickness. Heaven forbid Apple be honest with us. :rolleyes:

killerrobot
Aug 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
LMAO.

This is great.
God, please tell me immediately if the world is going to end in two months.:)

PS: No replies so far guys, so I think it's safe to say it's not going to end. Whew!!

jdechko
Aug 4, 2009, 03:40 PM
The 50TB SLC SSD after formatting is really only about 48TB.

Actually, Snow Leopard changed the reporting system to base 10 instead of base 2, so your drive will, in fact, report that it is 50TB. ;)

jamesryanbell
Aug 4, 2009, 11:50 PM
Actually, Snow Leopard changed the reporting system to base 10 instead of base 2, so your drive will, in fact, report that it is 50TB. ;)

Sweet I might buy one now if they're under $400.

Jobsian
Aug 5, 2009, 07:16 AM
Steven Paul Nathan Jobs, reply to my post right this instant or I will be very upset with you.

jdechko
Aug 5, 2009, 11:16 AM
Steven Paul Nathan Jobs, reply to my post right this instant or I will be very upset with you.

And don't forget to wear a jacket when you go out. Those turtlenecks aren't that thick and the San Fransisco nights can be a bit chilly. And don't forget to drink your herbal tea like your father and I taught you.

Call me.

</mother>

:)

GoCubsGo
Aug 5, 2009, 11:19 AM
But he said please. Man!

bbotte
Aug 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
- 10THZ Intel Core i107
- 50TB SLC SSD
- 102GB of DDR10 RAM
- 100 Hour Battery
- As thin as paper.

Still will benchmark slower than the RevB. :)

drummerlondonw3
Aug 5, 2009, 01:04 PM

Shall I send him an e-mail for you as I'm not sure he checks this forum everyday?

Jobsian
Aug 9, 2009, 08:23 AM
Shall I send him an e-mail for you as I'm not sure he checks this forum everyday?
Please do old chap, please do so immediately. Ty

stockscalper
Aug 10, 2009, 08:32 AM
The next Macbook Air will make you look slimmer no matter what you wear :D

nigameash
Aug 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
wait a few months! a new mba is inevitable :p

whooleytoo
Aug 10, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi, I'm a current Apple employee. Now I really shouldn't say this, about the new Air of all products, but it's actually going to be an amazing 5G..

Hang on a sec, someone's coming into my cubicle.. wait. What the? Wasn't me, honest. Wait, he said immediately, what was I going to... Not the face. NOT THE FACE! Argggghhhggg%^*^%....

esaleris
Aug 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
You know, I'm sure it would make people a lot happier if Apple just stopped making new products - then everybody could have the "latest!" Win-win!

jamesryanbell
Aug 10, 2009, 07:22 PM
It better have an onboard terabit ethernet card and 9G wireless connectivity.
...and be like $199 for $5000 quality. :p

Jobsian
Aug 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
I second the above proposals.

Can I also please request that the cooling issues are resolved, preferably with internal watercooling, using the fluid of the tears of children.

Failing that, can you please manufacture it from air - literally? Yes it may not have a display or anything tangible whatsoever but it would really help the cooling issue and I wouldn't need to install Coolbook on it.

stockscalper
Aug 11, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi, I'm a current Apple employee. Now I really shouldn't say this, about the new Air of all products, but it's actually going to be an amazing 5G..

Well that's disappointing because the 6G is now out! :mad:

And it is truly an amazing processor. Annodale will have a lot of its features, but it is still a step ahead.

jdechko
Aug 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Can I also please request that the cooling issues are resolved, preferably with internal watercooling, using the fluid of the tears of children.

Actually, I think they've got a working prototype that uses Unicorn spit. :p

jamesryanbell
Aug 11, 2009, 03:39 PM
Actually, I think they've got a working prototype that uses Unicorn spit. :p

Sweet, I've heard about that. Do you have problems with yours freezing from how efficient the cooling is?

jdechko
Aug 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Sweet, I've heard about that. Do you have problems with yours freezing from how efficient the cooling is?

Well, it's way better than the Power PC G5 MacBook Air, but not quite as "snappy" as the sunshine and rainbows Air. :D

jamesryanbell
Aug 11, 2009, 06:18 PM
Well, it's way better than the Power PC G5 MacBook Air, but not quite as "snappy" as the sunshine and rainbows Air. :D

Ok just checking.

STSNorthstar
Aug 12, 2009, 12:47 AM

But there are rumors that OS X Sex Panther will fix that!

jamesryanbell
Aug 12, 2009, 08:38 AM

I've gotta be honest with you....when I booted my computer up after installing that OS, it smelled like pure gasoline. Stings the nostrils.

waiwai
Aug 12, 2009, 08:51 AM
Oh hi!

Sorry to burst ur bubble but all apple employees sign a non-disclosure agreement. that means they can't talk about anything regarding apple. heck can't even say you work for them without getting terminated.

good day.

Jobsian
Aug 12, 2009, 10:40 AM
Sorry to burst ur bubble but all apple employees sign a non-disclosure agreement. that means they can't talk about anything regarding apple. heck can't even say you work for them without getting terminated.

good day.
So how was work today waiwai?....AT APPLE! :)

Hehehe, I know, I just hoped someone would come on and illegally breach that non-disclosure agreement for the purpose of allaying the anxieties of random members of the public.

Jobsian
Aug 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
I've gotta be honest with you....when I booted my computer up after installing that OS, it smelled like pure gasoline. Stings the nostrils.
I agree, it's quite pungent. In fact it's a formidable scent

whooleytoo
Aug 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
heck can't even say you work for them without getting terminated.

?

Not sure where you got this from, unless it's very recent, or only applies to some locations. There certainly was nothing like that in my contract when I worked there.

jdechko
Aug 12, 2009, 10:56 AM

Damn you both! This is what popped into my head when I read that. (http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/ladies_man.jpg)

I did have to sign what equates to an NDA when I worked at Apple Retail, but nothing that said I couldn't say I even worked for them. We did have to be careful about speculation, though. I even had to delete a couple of Tweets I made regarding my own personal speculation on iPhone 3G. We were told that if it was on Apple.com, we could talk about it to the customers. Of course, they told us jack.

killerrobot
Aug 12, 2009, 11:10 AM
Damn you both! This is what popped into my head when I read that. (http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/ladies_man.jpg)

This popped into your head. That Sex Panther OS is quite the mistress-masochist.

jdechko
Aug 12, 2009, 11:20 AM
This popped into your head. That Sex Panther OS is quite the mistress-masochist.

Try this link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213790/).

Tim Meadows in The Ladies Man. For those of you who prefer a mental image.