PDA

View Full Version : iPodYourBMW Ad

MacRumors
Jun 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
In followup to the earlier story on rumors of an Apple/BMW iPod partnership (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/06/20040614163440.shtml), MacMinute posted (http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/15/bmw) a magazine advertisement promoting the new features.

The ad reads:

The first seamless integration of iPod and automobile. Connect with your music like never before. With the installation of an integrated adapter developed by BMW and Apple -- now available for the BMW 3 Series, X3 and Z4 -- you can control your iPod through the existing audio system and multi-function steering wheel. Which means no loss of power. No loss of sound quality. And no loss of control.

and directs users to iPodYourBMW.com (http://www.ipodyourbmw.com) (not yet live)

bobindashadows
Jun 17, 2004, 09:44 AM
First Post?

That looks awesome... I don't know if it would sway my buying decision if I were looking for a car like that, but it's neat.

PlaceofDis
Jun 17, 2004, 09:47 AM
Cool looking ad, thats for sure

dwsolberg
Jun 17, 2004, 09:53 AM
That the website was registered on register.com? It's strange that Apple or BMW or Fallon Worldwide would use a consumer-oriented service to register a new website. This seems really odd to me, but I guess they have to do it some way.

tveric
Jun 17, 2004, 09:56 AM
Now they just need to put the same interface in all VW's and I'll buy my new TDI Jetta.

dizastor
Jun 17, 2004, 09:57 AM
mmm seamless intergration *drool*

sadly, I can't afford an ipod or a BMW

asif786
Jun 17, 2004, 09:58 AM
That the website was registered on register.com? It's strange that Apple or BMW or Fallon Worldwide would use a consumer-oriented service to register a new website. This seems really odd to me, but I guess they have to do it some way.

I think register.com is one of the most expensive registrars - perhaps that's why they used it?

Freg3000
Jun 17, 2004, 09:59 AM
Later this year.....mmmmmm......Sooner rather than later is always good. :D

Very cool. Love the ad too, with the split steering/iPod wheel

innervision
Jun 17, 2004, 10:01 AM
why only these three model cars and not the higher-end model 5, 6 and 7 series?

Aeolius
Jun 17, 2004, 10:03 AM
Ready for a unique complaint?

My new Suburban has XM radio and no cassette adapter. I consider this to be a downgrade from my previous car, a Tahoe, because now I have to hook my iPod up through the auxiliary video input of the overhead DVD player. I have tried FM transmitters and have never found one that preserved the quality of sound. I am about ready to yank the factory-installed XM radio out of there and get a radio with a cassette deck.

gallagb
Jun 17, 2004, 10:04 AM
i've talked 2 my VW dealer
he says- as cool as it would be-
VW has no plans on doing anything like this anytime soon.

quote: "well, yes, VW does cool things- but sometimes just a bit slower"
my agruement: they used to offer an iPod/Beetle deal
his response "that sold a LOT of cars"
me: "so"?
him "we'll see, but don't count on it"

grr- i just picked up a new '04 Golf GLS
and the stereo adaptor works in my tape deck attached to my iPod- but it would be cooler if it was integrated
much cooler
eventually i'm sure- just a question of when.-
yea for BMW though- maybe it'll raise the industry to a new standard

dongmin
Jun 17, 2004, 10:08 AM
that's it. you sold me. i'm gettin me a Z4.

asif786
Jun 17, 2004, 10:11 AM

Exactly. How could they forget the X5? That's like one of the most popular BMWs in the UK atm...

micvog
Jun 17, 2004, 10:20 AM
Now if only BMW offered Bluetooth integration the same way as the Acura TL...

Gherkin
I think BMWs are some of the nicest looking expensive cars. If I were rich, it'd probably the type of car I'd buy (and no, not just because of the iPod adapter).

five04
http://images.apple.com/uk/hotnews/articles/musicstore/images/car.jpg
http://www.macminute.com/images/db/ipodadapterad.jpg

notice the picture behind steve is the same as the one in the ad minus the bmw logo.

veedubdrew
Jun 17, 2004, 10:27 AM
Guess y'all haven't heard about this:

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.phpoption=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

The icelink allows you to control an ipod through your stock stereo's cd-changer controls. Most newer cars, even with the base stereo, have factory controls for a CD changer and the icelink makes use of them.

On my car, the ipod can even be controlled through the factory 7" LCD touch screen or my steering wheel mounted audio controls! I plan to get one of these very soon, hide my ipod in the center console and have 2500 wired-in tunes at my disposal. This thing seems virtually identical to what BMW is doing (maybe it's the same unit?) in their promo.

As for the 5, 6, and 7 series models, I suspect there is no option for this new thing because of the stupid iDrive control interface. That thing is a nightmare...

-Drew

Edit: That link doesn't seem to get you all the way there, but just go to the "products" link on the left, then choose "icelink 1.1."

D0ct0rteeth
Jun 17, 2004, 10:40 AM

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

Yeah.. I posted this in the other thread. Everyone ignores it. Its sweet.

Longey Nowze
Jun 17, 2004, 10:41 AM

those models use the iDrive which is completely different from the lower end models, the iDrive is based on are you ready? windows :eek: so I think they would have to write more software for that or something...

I like Audi more but that's my Opinion the new A6 is cool!

silverone
Jun 17, 2004, 10:49 AM
Anyone who is interested, can also pick up the new Smart Fortwo that also works specifically with the 3G iPods.
http://www.thesmart.co.uk
I'm in the US and have ordered one already from a Windsor, CA MB Dealership. I got the iPod interior accessories online and the dealership is just going to install it. No wires, ports right into bottom adapter for charging and playback through the head unit without the need to finding an appropriate sound level on one or the other. Works much like the Altec Lansing technology if you're familiar with that. Owed a Brand New Bimmer and had never-ending electrical issues - now I'm shopping smart (cheap) cause gas is insane!! FYI -silverone

ahmadof
Jun 17, 2004, 10:49 AM
icelink is that the icelink 1) requires that you disconnect your CD changer, and 2) does not allow full integration (song titles,playlists). 1 may not be that important, but 2 is critical if you want to put your iPod in the trunk or glovebox. The icelink is just a partial solution.

Xenious
Jun 17, 2004, 10:56 AM
that's it. you sold me. i'm gettin me a Z4.
Excellent choice! I shall be adding this new ipod connectivity to my Z4 once it is available.

joemama
Jun 17, 2004, 11:04 AM

Because the same people who buy 3-series are the ones most probable to buy and/or have iPods.

5/7 Series are more parents.....(in general)

moosecat
Jun 17, 2004, 11:04 AM

notice the picture behind steve is the same as the one in the ad minus the bmw logo.

Not that it's very important, but no, they're not the same pictures. Look at way the dashboard features in the background line up with the sides of the wheel. No match.

fixyourthinking
Jun 17, 2004, 11:10 AM
I think BMWs are some of the nicest looking expensive cars. If I were rich, it'd probably the type of car I'd buy (and no, not just because of the iPod adapter).

I found a post of yours in another forum saying this:

The reason it is constantly delayed is because Apple and MacMice are deep in negotiations to brand the bluetooth mouse as an official Apple product.

Sorry I couldn't see your email address and I want to know how you know this or where else you saw this or read this from.

jocknerd
Jun 17, 2004, 11:20 AM

My new Suburban has XM radio and no cassette adapter. I consider this to be a downgrade from my previous car, a Tahoe, because now I have to hook my iPod up through the auxiliary video input of the overhead DVD player. I have tried FM transmitters and have never found one that preserved the quality of sound. I am about ready to yank the factory-installed XM radio out of there and get a radio with a cassette deck.

If you are going to yank out your factory radio, why get one with a cassette? Look for one with an auxiliary input in the face. Then its a direct connection from your ipod without a loss of quality.

ddbean
Jun 17, 2004, 11:22 AM

Looks like a different BMW model to me, not to mention a different camera angle, so what is the same between the 2 other than their both BMWs?

Chaszmyr
Jun 17, 2004, 11:25 AM
It's BMW and not Apple who has had this domain registered.. that surprises me.

(Technically its Fallon Worldwide.. but if you do a lookup on bmwusa.com, fallon is listed as the administrative contact)

jackc
Jun 17, 2004, 11:26 AM
So this is the extent of the automobile iPod product? I thought there would be something that everyone can use, maybe a replacement for the iTrip.

rendezvouscp
Jun 17, 2004, 11:26 AM
The domain is registered to a BMW employee, not an Apple employee or either company. That surprises me.

That is surprising. I wonder why they would do that?
–Chase

sinisterdesign
Jun 17, 2004, 11:32 AM
sweeeet

this line makes me very happy "through the existing audio system and multi-function steering wheel". i was afraid they were going to pull some thing where it didn't work w/ my current radio or something.

i'll be at the front of the line when that site goes live, so i'll post my reviews once i get my hands on it & hooked up in my 330CiC.

don't yank the XM quite yet. check w/ your dealer or poke around on audio websites (who makes the head unit?). i would be very surprised if there wasn't an AUX IN on the back of that head unit. i had the same problem on my new 3 Series BMW. i wasn't about to get the tape player INSTEAD of a CD, but i was worried about how to connect my iPod (no longer!). but i had BMW install a headphone jack in my glove box that runs into the AUX IN jack in the back of the stereo. keep that XM around!

Le Big Mac
Jun 17, 2004, 11:38 AM
Not that it's very important, but no, they're not the same pictures. Look at way the dashboard features in the background line up with the sides of the wheel. No match.

And look at teh airbrushed-out BMW logo.

Has anyone considered that this is a bogus ad? I'd love it to be true, and so would my ipod and bmw, but how hard would it be to make up a fake ad just for fun?

virividox
Jun 17, 2004, 11:56 AM
you would think apple would partner up witha car manufacturer that wasnt as high end a bmw; maybe toyota oh well

but its still great

sinisterdesign
Jun 17, 2004, 11:56 AM
Has anyone considered that this is a bogus ad? I'd love it to be true, and so would my ipod and bmw, but how hard would it be to make up a fake ad just for fun?

IF Steve hadn't just been onstage w/ a 3Series steering wheel beind him, i would say it COULD be a fake, but even then it would have been a very good fake. it stays very true to BMW's & Apple's ad standards, not to mention the detail of the 3 icons on the right spread showing (what i think to be the new connector), the steering wheel and the stereo. that would have been a hella lot of work & taken a designer to do.

i'll eat my words, not to mention have my hopes crushed, if this turns out to be fake, but i would bet $$ that it's real.

asif786
Jun 17, 2004, 12:05 PM
And look at teh airbrushed-out BMW logo.

Someone has apparantly seen this ad on a double spread in a certain magazine. cant remember which thread it was in tho.

laserbeahm
Jun 17, 2004, 12:14 PM
That's really awesome. How many consumer devices have enough style and leverage that they integrate their brand name into a car? I think this is a huge step for apple. I hope other car companies catch on to this.

Le Big Mac
Jun 17, 2004, 12:29 PM
IF Steve hadn't just been onstage w/ a 3Series steering wheel beind him, i would say it COULD be a fake, but even then it would have been a very good fake. it stays very true to BMW's & Apple's ad standards, not to mention the detail of the 3 icons on the right spread showing (what i think to be the new connector), the steering wheel and the stereo. that would have been a hella lot of work & taken a designer to do.

i'll eat my words, not to mention have my hopes crushed, if this turns out to be fake, but i would bet $$ that it's real.

Yeah, the Jobs on stage thing wasn't a fake. Was he talking specifically about BMW or just using a BMW (with no logo) as an example (i.e., clip art) of using ipods in cars? I wasn't there so I have no idea. I could imagine someone having some fun after that creating a "real" ad just for kicks, using apple standard imagery and text. Dunno. I, too, will be disappointed if it's bogus.

As for why 3 and Z's only, I think it's because of the connectors on teh stereo being compatible with an aux-in adapter, which teh others perhaps are not.

veedubdrew
Jun 17, 2004, 12:50 PM

I believe your GM dealer can install an accessory cassette deck in the forward section of the center console of your Suburban. They've offered this as a dealer-installed option for quite some time if I remember correctly and would allow you to use a cassette adapter for your iPod while retaining XM functionality.

-Drew

macridah
Jun 17, 2004, 01:29 PM
That's a cool add with the steering wheel and iPod wheel blending together.

I hope Apple has deals with other car manufacturers. BMW is not my list of cars I'm looking at to buy. In Cali, everyone and there mother has a BMW. I want to "Think Different".

jbembe
Jun 17, 2004, 01:30 PM
Anyone who is interested, can also pick up the new Smart Fortwo that also works specifically with the 3G iPods.
http://www.thesmart.co.uk
I'm in the US and have ordered one already from a Windsor, CA MB Dealership. I got the iPod interior accessories online and the dealership is just going to install it. No wires, ports right into bottom adapter for charging and playback through the head unit without the need to finding an appropriate sound level on one or the other. Works much like the Altec Lansing technology if you're familiar with that. Owed a Brand New Bimmer and had never-ending electrical issues - now I'm shopping smart (cheap) cause gas is insane!! FYI -silverone

WORD! I want to get the Escape hybrid ASAP, and it'd be nice to have an excellent solution available for integrating my iPod into the stereo system there. I might go with Alpine's deal, but we'll see what comes out from now til then...

yeah and the icelink would also work, I saw both postings on the issue and the website from the link! Gracias dudes.

g4cubed
Jun 17, 2004, 01:48 PM
A lot of BMW owners out there whining right now.

I love it. :D

svenr
Jun 17, 2004, 02:24 PM
you would think apple would partner up witha car manufacturer that wasnt as high end a bmw; maybe toyota oh well

Why? Doesn't Steve always pull out that silly market share comparison, using _BMW_ as an example? I think the image of BMW and Apple as higher-end, well-designed products in their markets fits well together. A Toyota just wouldn't bring the same cachet.

dontmatter
Jun 17, 2004, 02:32 PM
As for the 5, 6, and 7 series models, I suspect there is no option for this new thing because of the stupid iDrive control interface. That thing is a nightmare...

there's a 6 series? News to me. Also, that doesn't quite cover everything-in that case, why not on the x3 and x5, awful beasts that they are? Or, the M3 and M5? The logic of using one part of the more luxury line, and one part of the more sports line, and forgoing the rest I don't get. Particularly because you'd think the idrive would be an advantage, because they woudl just have to adapt the software to get the ipod to work with it.

but mostly, just wanted to point out to all that I don't think there is a 6 series, and I think they droped the z3 when they introduced the z4.

sethypoo
Jun 17, 2004, 02:33 PM
This gives me a whole new reason to want/love a BMW.

So it sits above your dash? I hope that its placement is customizable. I don't want everyone to see my iPod, and I think that having it mounted that high would be a little annoying.....

paulie
Jun 17, 2004, 02:38 PM
I was debating between a VW Passat, Audi A4 (yeah, they're essentially the same car) and a BMW 320i or 325i.. This may push the BMW over the top..

And as to BMW's being expensive cars, the lower 3's are decently priced (about 35k Canadian, same as an Accord, a Mazda 6, Chevy Malibu, the Passta, the A4, etc) with leases running between 400 and 600 a month.

It seems to me that the car is within reach of any mid-level IT worker here (ie - moi).

svenr
Jun 17, 2004, 02:40 PM
there's a 6 series? News to me.
There's even a 1 series as you can see on http://www.bmw.de/

but mostly, just wanted to point out to all that I don't think there is a 6 series
If you're not sure, why don't you just take one quick look:
http://www.bmwusa.com/ or
http://www.bmw.de/
before you "point out to all" that you have no idea and were too lazy to check?

iChan
Jun 17, 2004, 03:41 PM
i just need one in my new mini cooper and i'll be happy.

sinisterdesign
Jun 17, 2004, 09:22 PM
but mostly, just wanted to point out to all that I don't think there is a 6 series, and I think they droped the z3 when they introduced the z4.

yup, no more Z3, it's the Z4 now. but the 645i drop top (http://www.bmwusa.com/nr/rdonlyres/14a353d7-d12d-4ef0-bcc9-f727cab193ee/0/6conv_modelpg.jpg) is gorgeous.

unfortunately, there's no longer a Z8 roadster (http://www.stoptech.com/productphotos/z8/4wheel2.jpg), either. if i hit the lottery, that will be one of the cars in my stable... ;)

plus_c
Jun 17, 2004, 09:39 PM
there's a 6 series? News to me. Also, that doesn't quite cover everything-in that case, why not on the x3 and x5, awful beasts that they are? Or, the M3 and M5? The logic of using one part of the more luxury line, and one part of the more sports line, and forgoing the rest I don't get. Particularly because you'd think the idrive would be an advantage, because they woudl just have to adapt the software to get the ipod to work with it.

The 6 is actually a "historical" BMW models, in my opinion, the best of the BMW's from the 80s. The old 6 (look it up on eBay Motors) is absolutely beautiful, I want one when I graduate from college. The new 6 is actually pretty nice - unlike the new 5 and 7, it doesn't make me want to shoot Chris Bangle. Now, if I could have one of the old 6's (make mine a black '87 635CSi) with this system, I'd be in heaven *drools*

puckhead193
Jun 17, 2004, 11:00 PM
What about lexus owners.....or in my case lexi owners (3).. In my ES 330 I have navi and the mark levension sound system... there's no tape deck....so i can use a tape adapator....Anyone try those radio signal things ie itrip or something like that....?
Is there a thing that can be installed to hook up the ipod to the car's sound system kinda like a installed cell phone hands free kit...i'm sick of burning cd's
Anyone one have XM? any good?

~Shard~
Jun 17, 2004, 11:12 PM
now available for the BMW 3 Series, X3 and Z4

Damn, so you're telling me I can't get this for my Z8? ;) :cool:

NOV
Jun 18, 2004, 03:50 AM
I definitely want 1 for my future Ferrari :p

I've been thinking a bit about this matter, but as long as the iPod has no built in Bluetooth/ Wifi the solutions will always be a bit clumpsy.
The most elegant solution seems to me a bluetooth/ Wifi iPod and on the side of the car's dashboard a front panel consisting of an AirPort Express-like receiver/ tuner with a display for playlists/ songs etc.

iMook
Jun 18, 2004, 08:52 AM
Has anyone actually read up on the way the integration is supposed to work? It's WAY less impressive than we're led to believe just through the words "seamless integration".

You must create five playlists specifically for the BMW controls, as there are buttons 1 through 6 on the BMW console. 1-5 will play the corresponding playlists, while 6 will play the entire library. The controls themselves are supposedly very simplistic and conventional. The iPod itself is docked into a receptacle located in the glove compartment.

And yes, the ad is real. It was seen in the July issue of Maximum PC. (ironic, no?)

From what I'm hearing so far, I much prefer the Alpine iPod solution, which has a console-mounted 7" LCD touchscreen controlling the iPod, with almost the same functionality as the iPod itself, along with the ability to create playlists.

sinisterdesign
Jun 18, 2004, 09:34 AM
You must create five playlists specifically for the BMW controls, as there are buttons 1 through 6 on the BMW console. 1-5 will play the corresponding playlists, while 6 will play the entire library. The controls themselves are supposedly very simplistic and conventional. The iPod itself is docked into a receptacle located in the glove compartment.

hmmm, interesting. i would be happy w/ 'next', 'previous' & volume controls at this point. i GUESS picking btw 5 playlists would be useful in the car. i tend to organize my playlists by mood anyhow & honestly, how many moods do i have? angry, happy, sleepy, dopey....no, wait. those are dwarfs.

BigHat
Jun 18, 2004, 10:14 AM
Getting lucky. I have 3 iPods and am a Mac user. Couldn't see paying for the CD changer that's a option on the 2004 M4 I pickup next Thursday. The Phatbox Mps players are MP3 only so that would mean AAC and MP3 dupes of my music collection.
Figured I'd wire up the radio with the BMW Aux adaptor. That's workable but apparently nnot as elegant is this appears to be. 40gb of music, books on tape, etc in the car and then in your pocket.

Great idea.

Hope it's available soon. Any idea on an interface with the Nav System? That would be great too.

etoiles
Jun 18, 2004, 10:35 AM

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.phpoption=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79

The icelink allows you to control an ipod through your stock stereo's cd-changer controls. Most newer cars, even with the base stereo, have factory controls for a CD changer and the icelink makes use of them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the icelink doesn't actually display the song names/menus on your car stereo. The cool thing about the BMW solution (and Alpine hopefully soon) is that you can store the ipod in your glove compartment and access everything through your existing units display and controls.

More tidy IMHO and secure, no need to hide your iPod when you park in that dark alley... ;)

iLife
Jun 18, 2004, 12:46 PM
I wonder if eventually i'll be able to get the same kind of setup for my mini. The way the controls are situated on the steering wheel would make the integration interesting. Theres actually some buttons on the left side that have no functionality.

veedubdrew
Jun 18, 2004, 02:49 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the icelink doesn't actually display the song names/menus on your car stereo. The cool thing about the BMW solution (and Alpine hopefully soon) is that you can store the ipod in your glove compartment and access everything through your existing units display and controls.

More tidy IMHO and secure, no need to hide your iPod when you park in that dark alley... ;)

As far as I can tell, the BMW setup doesn't display song title information either. It appears to be nearly identical in function to the icelink with the exception of being able to assign playlists to presets 1-5. I'm curious to see the glove box dock and compare it to the icelink, it might just be the same unit with a little special programming. They're priced about the same too.

-Drew

nspeds
Jun 18, 2004, 03:41 PM
I think the main reason this "modification" wasn't added to the 5, 6, or 7 series is because the target market of the iPod/mini is the younger population. You don't expect under people under twenty-five-thirty to be driving such cars.