PDA

View Full Version : 'iGO My Way 2009' Navigation App Comes to the App Store

MacRumors
Aug 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
The iGO My Way 2009 turn-by-turn navigation app is now available in the App Store, offering editions for North America, Europe, and Western Europe. The North America app is priced at $79.99, matching the price of Sygicís competing app, Mobile Maps (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319354212&mt=8), and exceeding Navigon's MobileNavigator (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/22/navigon-offers-full-featured-iphone-gps-navigation-for-a-single-upfront-fee/) app by $10 at its introductory price that's in effect until August 15. iGO's app made one of its first appearances on the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/03/06/igo-8-iphone-gps-demo-video/) in early 2008, well before the SDK was available.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/04/115523-iGo-screenshot-1.jpg

The iGO app for North America (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321933312&mt=8) weighs in at 970MB and includes maps for the U.S. and Canada, as does Navigonís MobileNavigator app, while Sygicís North American version also includes Mexico (a U.S.-only version is available for a lower price).

The iGO apps get their map data from Navteq, which is based in Chicago and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nokia Corporation. The App Store description states that the app comes with a lifetime license and free quarterly map updates until December 2010. It features 3D maps and offers voice guidance in 4 languages.

You can keep your maps up to date simply by updating the application Ė for free. The product comes with a lifetime license and a FREE subscription to quarterly map updates until December 2010. The application will be updated with enhancements and new features as they become available.

Another major player in the navigation market, TomTom, still has yet to release their navigation app for the iPhone, which was first announced at WWDC in June. The latest information (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/07/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-emerge/) indicates that TomTom's app is still on track for release later this summer, though pricing and an exact release date are still not known.

Article Link: 'iGO My Way 2009' Navigation App Comes to the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/04/igo-my-way-2009-navigation-app-comes-to-the-app-store/)

Randman
Aug 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
Interface looks busy. I'm loving Navigon's atm, especially after Navigator for a month.

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
Tomtom Needs to hurry up and get on the scene!

I am getting tired of waiting!!!

especally with no information as to the delays!!

UnseenLlama
Aug 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
Possible TomTom car kit pricing in the UK

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2126/tomtom-for-iphone-inc-mount

UnseenLlama
Aug 4, 2009, 12:02 PM
Tomtom Needs to hurry up and get on the scene!

I am getting tired of waiting!!!

especally with no information as to the delays!!

It's not really delayed if there was not specific date set. As far as I know, it's still summer.

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 12:06 PM
It's not really delayed if there was not specific date set. As far as I know, it's still summer.

i guess i should clairify

Set a DATE tomtom

later this summer is such a BS answer... that could mean all the way up to september 22nd

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 12:07 PM

if that is accurate pricing... WOW!!

converted to USD that is close to $170

For JUST the mount!!

sure the fact that it has a Bluetooh Transiever, Power your phone, GPS antenna, Line out, internal speaker

is sure a lot of features but COME ON!! 170 + cost of the app (in the $50 - $120 range) thats alot of money to fork out on a Relativly small sized screen GPS...

yes its a All in one dont need to carry other devices but at somewhere around the $300 range for the software and mount i would definately reconsider what i thought was a Sure buy..

UnseenLlama
Aug 4, 2009, 12:09 PM
if that is accurate pricing... WOW!!

converted to USD that is close to $170

For JUST the mount!!

I think that includes the mount and the software.

"The TomTom solution combines two new TomTom products to provide users with state of the art in-car navigation on their iPhone 3G:

* The TomTom navigation application for iPhone; an Apple version of TomTomís award-winning turn-by-turn navigation software, including IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas;
* The TomTom car kit for iPhone; a specially developed car kit for secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions, hands-free calling and in-car charging."

urbanslaughter
Aug 4, 2009, 12:11 PM

That converts to just under $200.00. That's way more than I'd be willing to spend . . . unless there are some features I'm not aware of.

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
How useful are 3D maps, as opposed to a real street view, in practice? Do they help you navigate using landmarks or is it mostly just a gimmick?

ViViDboarder
Aug 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
What's the deal with navigation apps charing monthly fees? Pfff... I've been using xGPS (free do DL and free to use) from Cydia and they are working on releasing their version on the app store soon.

eawmp1
Aug 4, 2009, 12:20 PM
Another nail in the coffin that buries TomTom's market share. He who hesitates is lost.

ViViDboarder
Aug 4, 2009, 12:27 PM
Another nail in the coffin that buries TomTom's market share. He who hesitates is lost.

Definitely. Poor move on their part. They announced their app and got people all hyped... Why should people wait around for it when there are apps that are out now that are likely just as good.

Their app better be REALLY good. Nobody is going to switch to TomTom if they just bought another GPS app for $80!

SFStateStudent
Aug 4, 2009, 12:43 PM
Yup, I'll wait until Tom Tom releases late summer. I'm not sure I want to know the price of the quarterly updates after 2010....:eek:

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
is anyone else trying to contact Tomtom to get some answers?

I signed up for thier updates and there has not been a single update since the WWDC there has to be somthing to report!!!

nagromme
Aug 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
Interface looks busy. I'm loving Navigon's atm, especially after Navigator for a month.

Agreed. All that clutter makes me think the app is coming from Nokia!

curly14
Aug 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
is anyone else trying to contact Tomtom to get some answers?

I signed up for thier updates and there has not been a single update since the WWDC there has to be somthing to report!!!

Well I will give you an update do expect to see TomTom till Sept 3 have a good source that is involved with the project:)

abbstrack
Aug 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
i'm doing an NY-LA drive next week, and i was really hyped when i first heard about the tomtom app..now 2 months later, the excitement has gone, and i need a solution now. i now am considering navigon, and hoping that they will come up with some sort of mount at some point. tomtom definitely lost out on an excited customer with their 'later this summer' release date.

my mother had a saying for this when i was smaller

'you slow, you blow'

sorry tomtom.

now its navigon vs. iGO

curly14
Aug 4, 2009, 01:42 PM
i'm doing an NY-LA drive next week, and i was really hyped when i first heard about the tomtom app..now 2 months later, the excitement has gone, and i need a solution now. i now am considering navigon, and hoping that they will come up with some sort of mount at some point. tomtom definitely lost out on an excited customer with their 'later this summer' release date.

'you slow, you blow'

sorry tomtom.

now its navigon vs. iGO

Have Navigon works great you won't be disappointed:) plus the $ and display is better then anything out there

Diode
Aug 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

'you slow, you blow'

sorry tomtom.

now its navigon vs. iGO

Just buy the kensington mount. I got it from Clubmac for $24.98 shipped

abbstrack
Aug 4, 2009, 01:50 PM

thanks for the suggestion. i'll look it up!

itsjustmeee
Aug 4, 2009, 01:58 PM
Man, the visuals on this app make it look like some bad video game. What's the deal with the big buildings? Am I really supposed to look out of my window while driving in the middle of a downtown area that I don't know and see if the buildings match the one on the app to see if I'm going the right way? So far for me, G-Map has been great and with the latest updates that they're promising, it doesn't look like I'll be jumping ship anytime soon for another TBT GPS app.

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 02:23 PM

i like the look fit and finish that the TomTom Mount shows it looks well thought out the kensington just looks so..... universal and "cheesy" to me.

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 02:26 PM

'you slow, you blow'

sorry tomtom.

now its navigon vs. iGO

Have Navigon works great you won't be disappointed:) plus the $ and display is better then anything out there[/QUOTE]

I have the navigon Lite version and i havent actually used it just yet other than firing it up to see what it looked like. it looks pretty interesting but for the most part i just use Google Maps with the compass feature turned on and that tracks my movements very well (the compass part isnt always pointing just right but it gets the job done)

iphones4evry1
Aug 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/04/115523-iGo-screenshot-1.jpg

Am I the only one that thought "Sim City!" when they saw this image? Haha.
This image looks more like a video game to me than a serious, professional GPS map. But hey, I can't knock it until I've tried it. It looks, ahem, "interesting" though. (what's with the checkered flag? LOL) Hopefully, it is revolutionary and awesome and will sell a million copies. Are there any [professional/published] reviews out yet?

Update: The 3-D image in the iTunes preview looks pretty cool.

BC2009
Aug 4, 2009, 03:10 PM
How does Navigon and/or iGO handle phone call interruptions and backgrounding
the iPod? I heard that TomTom was suppose to be addressing those things in some innovative way, but that might be for late Summer 2010 for all we know.

I ran Garmin Mobile XT on my Palm Treo for years, I must say it was bad when you
were approaching a crucial interchange and the phone would ring and you would
miss the detailed GPS guidance as to what lane to get in.

TomTom has certainly kept things tight-lipped, but I will likely stick with Google Maps
until all the players have put their cards on the table. I just wish Garmin did not get
the stupid notion to do "NuviFone" and instead made an app for the app store like
they did for Palm Treo, Blackberry, and various other smart phones.

I'm a fan of the accuracy of Navteq maps (which is what Garmin, Navigon, and iGO all use). If I recall, TomTom uses a different map provider and my friends with TomTom units in their cars have complained to me about things too often being out-of-date.

Despite that, TomTom has a track record for best user interfaces for navigation and
for ease-of-use. I'm interested in hearing any recommendations anybody can make
regarding Navigon and iGo.

Thanks in advance.

r6girl
Aug 4, 2009, 03:38 PM
How useful are 3D maps, as opposed to a real street view, in practice? Do they help you navigate using landmarks or is it mostly just a gimmick?

When you say "real street view" do you mean the 2D view that mimics looking at a paper map? Compared to that, I find 3D maps quite useful since they help me get "in the map" better to see where I need to go when driving. Of course, this is definitely a personal preference thing since my husband hates 3D GPS views, claiming that he spent his whole life up until now looking at paper maps and he's just more comfortable seeing digital maps in that format. :p

Stargaze
Aug 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
How does Navigon and/or iGO handle phone call interruptions and backgrounding
the iPod? I heard that TomTom was suppose to be addressing those things in some innovative way, but that might be for late Summer 2010 for all we know.

I ran Garmin Mobile XT on my Palm Treo for years, I must say it was bad when you
were approaching a crucial interchange and the phone would ring and you would
miss the detailed GPS guidance as to what lane to get in.

TomTom has certainly kept things tight-lipped, but I will likely stick with Google Maps
until all the players have put their cards on the table. I just wish Garmin did not get
the stupid notion to do "NuviFone" and instead made an app for the app store like
they did for Palm Treo, Blackberry, and various other smart phones.

I'm a fan of the accuracy of Navteq maps (which is what Garmin, Navigon, and iGO all use). If I recall, TomTom uses a different map provider and my friends with TomTom units in their cars have complained to me about things too often being out-of-date.

Despite that, TomTom has a track record for best user interfaces for navigation and
for ease-of-use. I'm interested in hearing any recommendations anybody can make
regarding Navigon and iGo.

Thanks in advance.

I have to agree I have been a Garmin user and i much perfer those stand alones over the TomTom standalone.. I have seen the TomTom app on a Hp Ipaq and it looked pretty good and the "custom voices" was alot of fun and it did the job rather well so hopefully with pairing with the iPhone that tom tom is doing they have updated their maps..

I belive tomtom also offers the ability for end uesrs to "update" their map tiles to be more accurate not sure how that works but its a pretty innovative idea, it sure beats paying some company or someone in their company to go out and update the tiles and it gives the end user a benifit as well.

FearlessFreep
Aug 4, 2009, 04:11 PM
Posted this in the App forum as well, but I gotta say there are some intriguing features on this particular app. Worth a visit to http://www.igomyway.com to check it out. I was >< this close to pulling the trigger on Navigon when this got released. Now after reading some information on the app and the engine (http://www.i-go.com/amigo/), this is a possible player as well.

severe
Aug 4, 2009, 04:52 PM

I agree with r6girl above. I much prefer 3D view, though I occasionally will check 2D to zoom-out and see my progress when I'm really unfamiliar with where I'm going. Navigon makes the option easy to toggle. And I certainly don't find it gimmicky.

m3coolpix
Aug 4, 2009, 05:36 PM
Looks like 'iGO My Way 2009' is based on the iGO amigo GPS software engine, which is owned by a company called NNG Global Services LLC based in Hanover, Germany.

If you'd like the company history & background, here's a synopsis:

NNG Global Services LLC (http://www.i-go.com/nng_global.php)

Lots of interesting reading while browsing around the site, linking off to some of their other products, and even some Google searches (which found some Chinese software pirates at CeBIT 2009 trying to claim the iGO products were their own!).

optophobia
Aug 4, 2009, 05:56 PM
What's the deal with navigation apps charing monthly fees? Pfff... I've been using xGPS (free do DL and free to use) from Cydia and they are working on releasing their version on the app store soon.

The other navigation apps don't need a data connection, XGPS does....

jetison
Aug 4, 2009, 06:12 PM
Another app for Europe and North America.
I'm pretty sure, whoever develops a FULL Latin American version, will hit #1 in seconds.

curly14
Aug 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
(what's with the checkered flag? LOL) Hopefully, it is revolutionary and awesome and will sell a million copies.

well am going out on a limb here and say maybe that's you final destination positionÖlol:D

Macintosh Sauce
Aug 4, 2009, 08:23 PM
This GPS app looks interesting. I am never going to pay for a subscription for the AT&T one. I pay enough for the AT&T Family Plan I have for my wife and myself. AT&T is nuts if they think people are going to pay $10 a month on top of their already pricey bills.

The question is: How much is it going to cost for map updates after December 2010? I've e-mailed them to ask them this - when I find out I will come back here to post the information.

Macintosh Sauce
Aug 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
(what's with the checkered flag? LOL) Hopefully, it is revolutionary and awesome and will sell a million copies.

well am going out on a limb here and say maybe that's you final destination position…lol:D

Correct. This is from the PDF manual...

Checkered flag - Approaching the destination.

BTW, the app looks great from reading the PDF manual.

captmatt
Aug 4, 2009, 09:12 PM

I assume you are talking about the building graphics on the map. Those are a complete gimmick in my opinion. They're on my Garmin and I live in LA where they appear many times--they help not a bit.

Even the photo-realistic lanes aren't helpful--they take longer to interpret than a simple row of arrows with the correct lanes highlighted.

Macintosh Sauce
Aug 4, 2009, 09:44 PM
Here is the link to their North American web page info...

iGo My Way (http://www.igomyway.com/en/igomyway_North_America.html)

Macintosh Sauce
Aug 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
I assume you are talking about the building graphics on the map. Those are a complete gimmick in my opinion. They're on my Garmin and I live in LA where they appear many times--they help not a bit.

Even the photo-realistic lanes aren't helpful--they take longer to interpret than a simple row of arrows with the correct lanes highlighted.

3D graphics, IMO, are a great help when one is unfamiliar with a city. For people that can think in 3D easily they help immensely.

I compared both programs, Navigon and iGo. iGo wins hands down for all of its features.

severe
Aug 4, 2009, 10:40 PM

well am going out on a limb here and say maybe that's you final destination positionÖlol:D

Not the first time I've seen a checkered flag at the destination. What's so funny?

Tiffy
Aug 5, 2009, 03:49 AM
I just took the time to read the PDF manual of Igo Myway and here are the key differences I can see between these 2 apps :
Igo MyWay :
- Large buttons, easier to manipulate while driving than Navigon's smaller buttons and menus
- Text to speech possible (depending on the voice you choose : either "Natural" voice, without TTS, or synthetic voice, with TTS)
- Photo realistic view of some intersections (Very nice. Useful ?)
- 3D buildings in some cities (Very nice also. Useful ?)
- Automatic switch between daylight/night display

Navigon :
- Possibility to add waypoints
- Radars / Speed Cameras database
- Possibility to hide/show POIs by category

In summary, Igo is more "user friendly" and displays nicer pictures than Navigon but Navigon has more features. To be noted : the provider of the maps is the same (Navteq).

I don't own Mygo so I cannot judge one of the most important thing : the quality of the GPS positionning/sensitivity and the fluidity of the application.

Hope this helps...

pbalogh
Aug 5, 2009, 04:21 AM
One thing to realize regarding map updates. iGO My Way 2009 is the first onboard navi for iPhone which actually offers free map updates. Sygic does not, and to top that off, they also lock your purchase to the physical hardware, so if you exchange devices, upgrade to a new iPhone, etc, you're at their mercy whether they'll let you move your 100-dollar investment to your new device or not. To my knowledge neither Sygic, nor Navigon includes any free updates, and you can check their websites to see how much they are charging for each quarterly update for their PND software. It's in the range of 40-100 dollars, every quarter, if you want to keep your data updated...
We thought it's essential to provide regular free updates of both SW and maps, even if it increases our costs for the maps significantly from our map provider. This is the right thing to do, and we had to delay our launch of the product to be able to do this.

Cheers,
Peter

ps: Yes, I'm associated with NNG, so I'm biased. But check this topic carefully before making your pick. It's a big difference, imho.

Tiffy
Aug 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
One thing to realize regarding map updates. iGO My Way 2009 is the first onboard navi for iPhone which actually offers free map updates.

... until December 2010 :o. but you are right, you are the only one to guarantee that. Navigon does not say anything about future map updates. Maybe they will be free , maybe (more probably) not...

FearlessFreep
Aug 5, 2009, 06:25 AM
Peter:

Can you clarify a couple of things? Namely how playing your own music is handled within the app as well as text-to-speech. The feature set for IGo MyWay certainly seems impressive.

There is also a thread in the App forum as well: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=758849 and some input from NNG would be appreciated.

JFreak
Aug 5, 2009, 06:44 AM
Looks absolutely horrible!

r6girl
Aug 5, 2009, 07:37 AM
One thing to realize regarding map updates. iGO My Way 2009 is the first onboard navi for iPhone which actually offers free map updates. Sygic does not, and to top that off, they also lock your purchase to the physical hardware, so if you exchange devices, upgrade to a new iPhone, etc, you're at their mercy whether they'll let you move your 100-dollar investment to your new device or not. To my knowledge neither Sygic, nor Navigon includes any free updates, and you can check their websites to see how much they are charging for each quarterly update for their PND software. It's in the range of 40-100 dollars, every quarter, if you want to keep your data updated...
We thought it's essential to provide regular free updates of both SW and maps, even if it increases our costs for the maps significantly from our map provider. This is the right thing to do, and we had to delay our launch of the product to be able to do this.

Cheers,
Peter

ps: Yes, I'm associated with NNG, so I'm biased. But check this topic carefully before making your pick. It's a big difference, imho.

What you say about Sygic is not true for their iPhone app (it may be true for their applications for other smartphone platforms). The iPhone app is purchased just like any other app and is not tied to a specific device - I have it and have installed it on my husband's iPhone since we share an iTunes account in addition to my own iPhone. Sygic has released one app update already that added "12 million POIs" according to the description in the App Store (I have not counted them and am fine taking their word on this) and the description in the App Store indicates they are planning another update to add more features, which will also be free. You are correct that they have not stated explicitly that map updates will not be free in the future, but neither have they said that they won't.

m3coolpix
Aug 5, 2009, 07:54 AM
After reading through the iGO manual this morning....and being a Navigon user:

I don't see any way in iGO with this release to directly enter an address to navigate to someone who exists in the iPhone contacts database (Navigon already does this). Am I missing this, or will it be included in a software update?

This is a big one for me. Anytime I have a destination to get to, I add it into the iPhone contact list, and this makes it VERY easy and quick to start navigation (no clunky entering). Also, I have found that addresses that may not be searchable/findable in the direct entry method, work just fine when entered as a contact that already exists. Perfect example was yesterday of going to a local Apple store at a mall. Searching for the address was futile, but entering it direct from the contact I added, and Navigon immediately found it and started navigating.

After reading the manual, cover to cover, the only two features that I'd want in Navigon are the text boxes for the street names, and the GPS signal level meter. Other than those, Navigon and iGO look almost identical feature for feature. Navigon just needs a manual (!) to show that the feature set is already there.

bbplayer5
Aug 5, 2009, 08:01 AM

I don't see any way in iGO with this release to directly enter an address to navigate to someone who exists in the iPhone contacts database (Navigon already does this). Am I missing this, or will it be included in a software update?

This is a big one for me. Anytime I have a destination to get to, I add it into the iPhone contact list, and this makes it VERY easy and quick to start navigation (no clunky entering). Also, I have found that addresses that may not be searchable/findable in the direct entry method, work just fine when entered as a contact that already exists. Perfect example was yesterday of going to a local Apple store at a mall. Searching for the address was futile, but entering it direct from the contact I added, and Navigon immediately found it and started navigating.

After reading the manual, cover to cover, the only two features that I'd want in Navigon are the text boxes for the street names, and the GPS signal level meter. Other than those, Navigon and iGO look almost identical feature for feature. Navigon just needs a manual (!) to show that the feature set is already there.

That makes absolutely no sense. Why not just type it into the navigation software before hand, and just pull it up as a recent search? Why clutter your address book...

m3coolpix
Aug 5, 2009, 08:12 AM
Perfect example was yesterday of going to a local Apple store at a mall. Searching for the address was futile, but entering it direct from the contact I added, and Navigon immediately found it and started navigating.

That makes absolutely no sense. Why not just type it into the navigation software before hand, and just pull it up as a recent search? Why clutter your address book...

Missed this part of the post?

The address (street name actually) was not found in Navigon. If that was the case, then I'd not have been able to use Navigon at all.

But, I've found a work around for when an address doesn't exist in Navigon.

I go over to the 'Maps' application, search for the destination, add the contact into my Address Book. Then use the Contacts part of Navigon to directly enter that address from the contacts list and it shows up immediately. Takes 20 seconds.

Since I have MobileMe, if I want to, I can delete the address in Contacts, and it disappears off all my devices. No big deal.

lampcov
Aug 5, 2009, 08:16 AM
A lot of technical features have been mentioned in the thread, but for day to day use, one of the more important, at least for my wife, is the POI database. G-Map's is abysmal, can't even find a Costco or Lowes near my house. And I'm in Metro Detroit.

If anyone has the app, what's you opinion? Can you find the common locations like Costco, Lowes, Macy's, grocery stores, etc? The ONLY thing I like about the stupid TeleNav is that it uses an internet search to find POIs. I wonder why none of these apps have included a "Seach on line" option and solely rely on on-board data. Surely leveraging the data connection when available to augment the POI database would be a good thing.

Love to hear what your opinions are.

Thanks,
Marc

m3coolpix
Aug 5, 2009, 11:23 AM

Looks like the iTunes description has been updated after my original post about this. The direct entry of a destination address from the address book is 'Coming soon in the next free update'.

:cool:

Cold-1
Aug 5, 2009, 01:02 PM
I just bought the app (out of curiosity, I already own Navigon).

It's the European version.

To quick answer the question, all ask about: The music does NOT fade out when the app is speaking.

Here's a quick list of good and bad points:

+) The keyboard is somewhat cool as if you type in names, only letters available are pressable on the keyboard. This speeds up entering addresses.
+) 4 calculations for routes: Fast, Short, Economic and Easy. Navigon uses Fast, Short, Optimal (whatever that means) and Beatyful
+) iGO seams to youse the Accelerometers. If I use the app inside my house, the No-Sat-Link icons is shown. But if I move around in the room, it disapears!
+) You can use different icons for your representation on the map.
+) Responsiveness is very high.

-) Voice quality is bad.
-) Overall you need more buttons pressed to start navigation
-) If you exit the app during navigation and enter back in, it doesn't automaticly continue.
-) The map seams somewhat colorful and overloaded.
-) No RealView kind of thingy
-) No Text-To-Speach. This is only possible with synthetic voices of which none is included.
-) No use of address book possible.
-) App takes to long to load (16s vs 6s for Navigon)

ViViDboarder
Aug 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
I just bought the app (out of curiosity, I already own Navigon).

It's the European version.

To quick answer the question, all ask about: The music does NOT fade out when the app is speaking.

Here's a quick list of good and bad points:

+) The keyboard is somewhat cool as if you type in names, only letters available are pressable on the keyboard. This speeds up entering addresses.
+) 4 calculations for routes: Fast, Short, Economic and Easy. Navigon uses Fast, Short, Optimal (whatever that means) and Beatyful
+) iGO seams to youse the Accelerometers. If I use the app inside my house, the No-Sat-Link icons is shown. But if I move around in the room, it disapears!
+) You can use different icons for your representation on the map.

-) Voice quality is bad.
-) Overall you need more buttons pressed to start navigation
-) If you exit the app during navigation and enter back in, it doesn't automaticly continue.
-) The map seams somewhat colorful and overloaded.
-) No RealView kind of thingy
-) No Text-To-Speach. This is only possible with synthetic voices of which none is included.

So how does it speak if there is no Text2Speech?

Cold-1
Aug 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
So how does it speak if there is no Text2Speech?

Of course it speaks, but no street names. Only directions.

severe
Aug 5, 2009, 01:46 PM
If anyone has the app, what's you opinion? Can you find the common locations like Costco, Lowes, Macy's, grocery stores, etc? The ONLY thing I like about the stupid TeleNav is that it uses an internet search to find POIs. I wonder why none of these apps have included a "Seach on line" option and solely rely on on-board data. Surely leveraging the data connection when available to augment the POI database would be a good thing.

I couldn't find many POI's with G-Map either. This and the lack of a landscape mode was enough for me to bail.

I agree it would be nice to search online. I assume, there must be a reason its hasn't been implemented. I use the method that m3coolpix describes with Navigon, when needed, though it has a much better POI database than the last time I used G-Map's.

ViViDboarder
Aug 5, 2009, 03:26 PM
Of course it speaks, but no street names. Only directions.

Oh... That's stupid.

Just jailbreak, go on Cydia and get xGPS. It's free and has Text2Speech. :D

severe
Aug 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
Oh... That's stupid.

Just jailbreak, go on Cydia and get xGPS. It's free and has Text2Speech. :D

Ha! That is the clunkiest piece of garbage available. Talk about issues. And that "Text2Speech" voice? You must be kidding. Stephen Hawking, anyone?

I was an early adopter. It's free for a good reason. It's nearly novelty.

I'd rather use a paper map.

xGPS 1.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPg5q6wC0g)

Thanks for the good laugh. :D

ViViDboarder
Aug 5, 2009, 04:29 PM
Ha! That is the clunkiest piece of garbage available. Talk about issues. And that "Text2Speech" voice? You must be kidding. Stephen Hawking, anyone?

I was an early adopter. It's free for a good reason. It's nearly novelty.

I'd rather use a paper map.

xGPS 1.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPg5q6wC0g)

Thanks for the good laugh. :D

Suit yourself. It's basically the Maps app with Text2Speech and it auto advances through steps so you can pay attention to driving.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money (or any money) on a GPS and are halfway competent at using a map then it's fine.

I can understand the voice and read the map. There's a reason it's free, it's no flair.

yuprules
Aug 7, 2009, 07:59 AM
I just did a quick 15 minute test with IGO, compared with Navigon's...it seems to be rushed out. The graphics are way better on IGO, but I already had one freeze just before I reached my destination and for some odd reason it keeps starting up in NIGHT MODE, it then suddenly switched to day time mode 10 minutes into my 15 minute trip.

Anyone else have that happen? (start up in night mode).

benfica88
Aug 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
Ok, so Iíve had extensive time to test IGO. Thought I would just put in my two cents. I personally think IGO is the best gps app out right now. Itís even miles ahead of other programs on WM and standalone gps devices. The big thing for me is routing. What good is a gps app if itís giving you the wrong or longer routes??? Navigon and Sygic consistently gave me wrong routes. Sygic being borderline crazy routes. Even though I had the fastest it always gave me the longest route available??? G-map seems to offer very good routes but for me there interface just stutters way too much. Igo on the other hand gives me the best routes available. It also has an amazing interface. Everything is so easy to use. On my 3GS it runs buttery smooth. It plays music while giving directions albeit the music is not lowered. Hopefully an update will address this. Then, there are just the nice touches to the app. The menus are easy to navigate, the special effects add a nice touch to the app. When you select different options the menu does a kind of flip effect. The best is the program doesnít lag or anything with all these effects. Even upon first starting the app in the main menu it has a mini screen with the routing going on. Simple yet effective touches that really make the app shine. Everything is nice, big, and easy to read. I donít need to squint like Navigon to see whatís up ahead. Also, a excellent implementation is the zooming effect. Igo will zoom in automatically when you come to a turn and zoom out when a straight away. Iíve seen this before on other gps apps but it works so well here. It feels like it zooms in and out perfectly. And you can even change the zoom effect if the default setting is not to your liking. This app is def worth the $ unlike the other gps apps out there. I think TOMTOM really will have to pull something special here to beat IGO.

NNGglobal
Aug 11, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone,

looks like there are some questions...

NNGglobal
Aug 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
This GPS app looks interesting. I am never going to pay for a subscription for the AT&T one. I pay enough for the AT&T Family Plan I have for my wife and myself. AT&T is nuts if they think people are going to pay $10 a month on top of their already pricey bills.

The question is: How much is it going to cost for map updates after December 2010? I've e-mailed them to ask them this - when I find out I will come back here to post the information.

After 2010? Technology might have turned up side down by then... Until the end of 2010 youíll definitely be up to date, at no extra cost! Who else can claim that ;-)

BADBOY 57
Aug 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
PLEASE CAN U HELP ME FOR INSTALL TOMTOM in FRANCE
BEST REGARDS
AZIZ

ViViDboarder
Aug 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
PLEASE CAN U HELP ME FOR INSTALL TOMTOM in FRANCE
BEST REGARDS
AZIZ

I shouldn't even respond...

All caps, no is good for write. For download TomTom is not available.