PDA

View Full Version : how much drive space used up by OSX?

bannor
Jun 17, 2004, 11:22 AM
I finally decided on the 12" IBook, and I was planning on buying it from a local Apple reseller. Of course, if I do it this way I get the stock hard drive with no option to upgrade (cheaply). I'm just wondering how much of the 30 gig hard drive is taken up by OSX and the other pre-installed apps that come with the IBook. How much actual free space will I have on my hard drive?

Thanks,
Dennis

kidA
Jun 17, 2004, 11:57 AM
i got my ibook bto with a 40 gb hd. the actual formatted capacity is about 37 Gb and when i got it i think there were about 27 or 28 GB available. I don't know how much the OS itself takes up, but you can reclaim quite a bit of space if you aren't going to use imovie and especially iDVD at all.
i would guess that with a 30 gb hd, you'd have actual capacity of about 27 with 17 or 18 available on purchase.

Horrortaxi
Jun 17, 2004, 02:48 PM
I just did a Panther/iLife install yesterday. I don't remember exactly how much space it took up but I'm remembering around 3GB for the system. GarageBand takes up a ton so when all was said and done it might have been up to 5GB. But that was an everything install. All the printer drivers, foreign languages, X11, BSD, apps. Most people won't use all that so you can get the size down quite a bit.